“Beyond Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center
300 mts NE of Mariposario, Montezuma 00001, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 19 hotels in Montezuma
East Lansing, Michigan
“Beyond Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

If you are considering doing a teacher training or a week-long retreat, THIS is the place to do it. The view by itself is worth the trip, not to mention the pool, sauna, massages (Lindsey rocks!!), and the yoga is obviously amazing! I just completed a yoga teacher training there with Jackie in May 2013. My husband and I both attended and were blown away by the location, friendly staff, super delicious (and healthy) food, and the overall experience. Jackie was an outstanding teacher and the whole team of staff made the month there so memorable. Hike to the waterfall, take a cooking class, get a mani/pedi (cheap and awesome!), eat the amazing hummus, juevos rancheros, tuna steaks, and have fun!

Room Tip: Lotus cabina was awesome, no bugs got in thanks to all the screen doors, and it's closer than wa...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

120 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Sydney, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I spent a full week at Anamaya in April and I can honestly say that it was the best place I have ever stayed in all of my travels. Everything was perfect, it was paradise. Anamaya is located on top of a hill above the small village of Montezuma overlooking a spectacular view of the Pacific Coast and surrounding mountains. It was one of the best views I had ever seen! The infinity pool (yes there was a beautiful infinity pool overlooking the ocean and that view) was always clean and refreshing.

I stayed in one of the more affordable rooms in the main house at Anamaya and it was amazing. Comfortable bed, full bathroom, tons of closet space and beautiful patio doors that opened to overlook the ocean...every morning, I awoke to the sun rising over the Pacific.

The service at Anamaya was probably the best service I had ever had anywhere. The staff were amazing, They interacted with guests, they were there to help with anything we needed, they were polite and friendly and you could tell they loved working at Anamaya.

Many activities such as surfing and ziplining were available and every excursion I participated in exceeded my expectations.

The main house was where everyone gathered for meals. Internet, free international calling, snacks and smoothies were available throughout the day and the outside deck area was teh perfect place to meet up with other guests to chat or to spend time reading in a hammock, or sunbathing.

I didn't participate in many of the yoga classes that were held throughout the week but based on my observations and what I heard from other guests, the instructors were very knowledgeable.

Walking around the various houses at Anamaya was an adventure in itself because I never knew what I was going to see! Monkeys, geckos, various tropical birds, iguanas and a strange (but seemingly friendly) raccoon-like creature that often visited me in the evening while I was relaxing in the hammock.

Now for the food...The Most Amazing Food Ever! At 7:00am, a large fruit bowl full of mixed fruit and various dips was placed in the kitchen before morning yoga. At 9:00am, buffet breakfast with a large variety of items served. At 2:00pm, buffet lunch with various wraps and sandwiches and many other items. At 7:00pm, large 3-course dinner served with a different (and absolutely delicious) meal every night. I have honestly never eaten as well I did that week in Montezuma, Costa Rica and the best thing about the food was it was all fresh and organic.

There is so much more I can say about Anamaya but it will take too long! To sum up my review...if you ever find yourself planning a trip to Costa Rica, make Montezuma one of your stops and stay at Anamaya...I guarantee you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This was by far the coolest and most relaxing place I have been to. I did the yoga retreat and may have actually achieved nirvana there. Costa Rica is breathtaking on its own, throw in yoga twice a day, fabulous people (staff and fellow travelers), various adventures, excursions and the ambiance of Anamaya and it may just change your entire outlook. The staff is so great and will help you with anything you need. The owner, Geoff is the most chill guy ever. The food is amazing. Super healthy and sooo good. The rooms, main house, and zen garden areas are fabulous. The yoga deck and the views are mesmerizing. The infinity pool is actually much bigger than it looks in pics and is such a great way to relax there. I had the most amazing time at Anamaya. So much more than just a yoga vacation in the jungle. It was a life changing experience and would go back tomorrow if I could.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Prana cabina and loved it. Queen bed, huge bathroom, wrap around deck with hammock...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Easily one of my favorite places I've traveled to date. Started here on my long journey around Costa Rica and Nicaragua and was extremely spoiled not only with incredible gourmet, organic and local food prepared by their chef daily, but oustanding service and little extras i did not expect. The staff are genuinely happy to be there and to meet you in the corner of paradise with a 180 degree view of the ocean from the edge of a cliff you feel like you're at the edge of the world.

I never though I would bond so close to 14 strangers from around the world in a week but in a place like this differences are forgotten and you are just overjoyed to be there.

Room Tip: Casita has a lot of space and likely the most spacious from the rooms I saw. It is hidden away and c...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Anamaya was by far the most exquisite slice of paradise for my husband and I! It is a slice of heaven! We were very happily surprised by the quality of the little houses that serve as the rooms, the food, the main house sacred space as well as the view and infinity pool!! I was absolutely amazed at the pristine upkeep and the generosity of the staff in particular. It was our sheer joy to stay at such a place and hope to return in the future! They embody the Pura Vida lifestyle for sure! :)

• Stayed February 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Having just completed a yoga retreat at this fabulous resort, I am dreaming of going back already. The peaceful environment and outstanding service were over the top. The food prepared by top chefs was amazing. The manager Jen becomes your personal host and treats each guest as if in her own home. What more can I say?

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Like everyone else, the food, yoga and nearby Montezuma make this a treasure. The staff is amazing. The hikes, waterfalls, surfing, snorkling, etc are all right there. Hope to return again to this palace on the hill.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center? Share your experiences!