“Soul finding experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center
300 mts NE of Mariposario, Montezuma 00001, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 19 hotels in Montezuma
Edmonton, Canada
“Soul finding experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Easily one of my favorite places I've traveled to date. Started here on my long journey around Costa Rica and Nicaragua and was extremely spoiled not only with incredible gourmet, organic and local food prepared by their chef daily, but oustanding service and little extras i did not expect. The staff are genuinely happy to be there and to meet you in the corner of paradise with a 180 degree view of the ocean from the edge of a cliff you feel like you're at the edge of the world.

I never though I would bond so close to 14 strangers from around the world in a week but in a place like this differences are forgotten and you are just overjoyed to be there.

Room Tip: Casita has a lot of space and likely the most spacious from the rooms I saw. It is hidden away and c...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Anamaya was by far the most exquisite slice of paradise for my husband and I! It is a slice of heaven! We were very happily surprised by the quality of the little houses that serve as the rooms, the food, the main house sacred space as well as the view and infinity pool!! I was absolutely amazed at the pristine upkeep and the generosity of the staff in particular. It was our sheer joy to stay at such a place and hope to return in the future! They embody the Pura Vida lifestyle for sure! :)

• Stayed February 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Having just completed a yoga retreat at this fabulous resort, I am dreaming of going back already. The peaceful environment and outstanding service were over the top. The food prepared by top chefs was amazing. The manager Jen becomes your personal host and treats each guest as if in her own home. What more can I say?

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Like everyone else, the food, yoga and nearby Montezuma make this a treasure. The staff is amazing. The hikes, waterfalls, surfing, snorkling, etc are all right there. Hope to return again to this palace on the hill.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I went to Anamaya on a Yoga and Surf retreat. All the great reviews about Anamaya convinced me to take the plunge, I was not disappointed. The facilities were great and well kept. I slept in the Jungle room with 2 other friends. The loft is a little tiny but I was able to sleep with no issue and I am 6'4". The view for doing yoga or hanging out in the hammock is amazing.

The real stand outs about Anamaya are the people and the food. The food was amazing, and I got to meet one of the cooks Camilo during a cooking class. The class was a lot of fun and his passion and love for food came through in the class.

Jen and Alberto were amazing. We had some problems with our internal flights and Alberto worked with the 30+ people staying at the resort to reroute over land. Jen the general manager was so nice and helpful. No matter the situation she was there to help out and make your stay the best possible.

We had great weather(march 9-16th) and the surfing in the area work great for me(beginner) and a more advanced surfer in the group.

This was a great trip and I highly recommend going to Anamaya.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

A great surfing experience, beautiful location with commanding views for the retreat, excellent food, yoga and facilities.

For a lapsed surfer, the surf school - Young Vision - was excellent. The school is on a great break on a beautiful quiet beach on a nature reserve, and it was really useful to go back to first principles and learn to surf again. There was one instructor for every three people, and by the end of the week all the beginners who stayed with it were paddling out to the line up and catching real waves. all but one day you go out in the morning (its a 20 min walk from the edge of town, no cars allowed!) and have two hour-ish sessions with fresh fruit to revive in the middle.

Anamaya itself is a sort of yogic paradise on a hill top, but still serves meat and booze so it counts as a holiday not a health farm.

Room Tip: We were in the Casita, which could easily sleep four, and had a cool outdoor bathroom (and an inside...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hoboken, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband chose Anamaya for the surfing and I tagged along for the yoga. I was a bit hesitant as I haven't done yoga in years, but the teachers were amazing, encouraging and knowledgeable. I felt challenged by the twice a day yoga and poses, but never discouraged. We slept in the Lotus room and were very pleased with the ocean view and facilities. I have to say the staff were very professional and caring. My husband caught a cold on the plane and Nela took my husband to the clinic where they gave him medicine, a B12 shot and he was fine. The food was absolutely amazing too. I have some sensitivities to food so traveling and dining out can be challenging, but at Anamaya everything was prepared with care and love so I did not worry about them forgetting that I don't eat gluten. Everything was so healthy that my husband dropped a pant size. We also enjoyed eating meals with everyone at Anamaya. It made our trip richer to be with like-minded travelers whether or not they were couples or single people. I also loooved the waterfall hike, but I love climbing. You have to go zip-lining too! And this is coming from someone who just wanted to sit by the pool and read! The energy at Anamay is contagious! Overall, I can't say enough nice things about this fantastic place! I have a girlfriend who plans to travel to Anamaya in the next month and I long to join her. We'll be back one day and hope this Costa Rica gem hasn't changed. Namaste.

Room Tip: We were in the Lotus room and very happy. We didn't have an outdoor shower, but that was alrigh...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center? Share your experiences!