“Great Food, Yoga, and Surf” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center
Save Saved
You added Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center to your Saves list
300 mts NE of Mariposario, Montezuma 00001, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
New York City, New York
“Great Food, Yoga, and Surf”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I went to Anamaya on a Yoga and Surf retreat. All the great reviews about Anamaya convinced me to take the plunge, I was not disappointed. The facilities were great and well kept. I slept in the Jungle room with 2 other friends. The loft is a little tiny but I was able to sleep with no issue and I am 6'4". The view for doing yoga or hanging out in the hammock is amazing.

The real stand outs about Anamaya are the people and the food. The food was amazing, and I got to meet one of the cooks Camilo during a cooking class. The class was a lot of fun and his passion and love for food came through in the class.

Jen and Alberto were amazing. We had some problems with our internal flights and Alberto worked with the 30+ people staying at the resort to reroute over land. Jen the general manager was so nice and helpful. No matter the situation she was there to help out and make your stay the best possible.

We had great weather(march 9-16th) and the surfing in the area work great for me(beginner) and a more advanced surfer in the group.

This was a great trip and I highly recommend going to Anamaya.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

A great surfing experience, beautiful location with commanding views for the retreat, excellent food, yoga and facilities.

For a lapsed surfer, the surf school - Young Vision - was excellent. The school is on a great break on a beautiful quiet beach on a nature reserve, and it was really useful to go back to first principles and learn to surf again. There was one instructor for every three people, and by the end of the week all the beginners who stayed with it were paddling out to the line up and catching real waves. all but one day you go out in the morning (its a 20 min walk from the edge of town, no cars allowed!) and have two hour-ish sessions with fresh fruit to revive in the middle.

Anamaya itself is a sort of yogic paradise on a hill top, but still serves meat and booze so it counts as a holiday not a health farm.

Room Tip: We were in the Casita, which could easily sleep four, and had a cool outdoor bathroom (and an inside...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hoboken, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband chose Anamaya for the surfing and I tagged along for the yoga. I was a bit hesitant as I haven't done yoga in years, but the teachers were amazing, encouraging and knowledgeable. I felt challenged by the twice a day yoga and poses, but never discouraged. We slept in the Lotus room and were very pleased with the ocean view and facilities. I have to say the staff were very professional and caring. My husband caught a cold on the plane and Nela took my husband to the clinic where they gave him medicine, a B12 shot and he was fine. The food was absolutely amazing too. I have some sensitivities to food so traveling and dining out can be challenging, but at Anamaya everything was prepared with care and love so I did not worry about them forgetting that I don't eat gluten. Everything was so healthy that my husband dropped a pant size. We also enjoyed eating meals with everyone at Anamaya. It made our trip richer to be with like-minded travelers whether or not they were couples or single people. I also loooved the waterfall hike, but I love climbing. You have to go zip-lining too! And this is coming from someone who just wanted to sit by the pool and read! The energy at Anamay is contagious! Overall, I can't say enough nice things about this fantastic place! I have a girlfriend who plans to travel to Anamaya in the next month and I long to join her. We'll be back one day and hope this Costa Rica gem hasn't changed. Namaste.

Room Tip: We were in the Lotus room and very happy. We didn't have an outdoor shower, but that was alrigh...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Just spent a week at Anamaya and it was incredible. The rooms were gorgeous with beautiful decorations and really comfortable beds. The staff was incredibly warm and attentive - they worked above and beyond to make it feel like home. And the food was out of this world - really four star restaurant quality. They found a way to make very healthy food incredible tasty and flavorful. I wish I could have taken home several loaves of bread they made for breakfast (a different loaf each morning). Lia was a great yoga teacher - I would recommend taking an aerial silk class with her on the beach. It was incredible week and one that I will never forget!

Room Tip: I would highly recommend the Hanuman room. it's a new room not listed on the website yet but it...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We did not stay at this hotel but went every day to use the far infrared sauna and it was great! By far, the best views from any far infraed sauna in the world...where else can you watch monkeys swinging in the trees and views of the sea while sitting inside the sauna?! Thank you for sharing a slice of your paradise with us!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sammamish, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Did a one month yoga teacher training at Anamaya and I couldn't imagine a better experience. Yes there were some problems that we encountered (naturally as you would expect living in the jungle) but the owners did everything they could to make us comfortable and happy. The views are amazing. The environment is peaceful and quiet and the perfect setting to recharge and escape. Absolutely amazing. Cooks were accommodating.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Anamaya Resort is the ideal place to learn to teach yoga! The seaside jungle hilltop location is full of vibrant energy and the beautiful accommodations are in perfect harmony with the setting.The wonderful staff and owner are kind, helpful and make you feel at home. After a month of living there, it's hard to say good bye. For all-inclusive intensive trainings, you can't find a better value. I hope to go back for a retreat someday and bring my husband!

FYI: the walk up the hill from town takes time and effort (you may want to budget some cab fare) but waking up to the view is worth it!! The internet signal can be weak sometimes, so you may want to bring a hot spot or just plan to enjoy some time unplugged. Buy a sarong in town and use it as a cover up/beach towel...genius. Avoid packing more than you can comfortably carry...many of the houses are down winding stairs (plus you'll feel silly when everyone just has a backpack and you've got that plus a giant rolly bag haha:) and it's only a small fee for laundry service. Shopping prices in Montezuma are reflective of a large percentage of US and European tourists and it's expected to haggle. The best deals are: hammocks, coffee, jewelry and surf lessons at Playa Grande!

Room Tip: I stayed in Gaia house in late November/early December and was fine without air-conditioning but tha...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center? Share your experiences!