“Anamaya : a special, magical place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center
You added Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center to your Saves list
300 mts NE of Mariposario, Montezuma 00001, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hoboken, New Jersey, United States
“Anamaya : a special, magical place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband chose Anamaya for the surfing and I tagged along for the yoga. I was a bit hesitant as I haven't done yoga in years, but the teachers were amazing, encouraging and knowledgeable. I felt challenged by the twice a day yoga and poses, but never discouraged. We slept in the Lotus room and were very pleased with the ocean view and facilities. I have to say the staff were very professional and caring. My husband caught a cold on the plane and Nela took my husband to the clinic where they gave him medicine, a B12 shot and he was fine. The food was absolutely amazing too. I have some sensitivities to food so traveling and dining out can be challenging, but at Anamaya everything was prepared with care and love so I did not worry about them forgetting that I don't eat gluten. Everything was so healthy that my husband dropped a pant size. We also enjoyed eating meals with everyone at Anamaya. It made our trip richer to be with like-minded travelers whether or not they were couples or single people. I also loooved the waterfall hike, but I love climbing. You have to go zip-lining too! And this is coming from someone who just wanted to sit by the pool and read! The energy at Anamay is contagious! Overall, I can't say enough nice things about this fantastic place! I have a girlfriend who plans to travel to Anamaya in the next month and I long to join her. We'll be back one day and hope this Costa Rica gem hasn't changed. Namaste.

Room Tip: We were in the Lotus room and very happy. We didn't have an outdoor shower, but that was alrigh...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Just spent a week at Anamaya and it was incredible. The rooms were gorgeous with beautiful decorations and really comfortable beds. The staff was incredibly warm and attentive - they worked above and beyond to make it feel like home. And the food was out of this world - really four star restaurant quality. They found a way to make very healthy food incredible tasty and flavorful. I wish I could have taken home several loaves of bread they made for breakfast (a different loaf each morning). Lia was a great yoga teacher - I would recommend taking an aerial silk class with her on the beach. It was incredible week and one that I will never forget!

Room Tip: I would highly recommend the Hanuman room. it's a new room not listed on the website yet but it...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We did not stay at this hotel but went every day to use the far infrared sauna and it was great! By far, the best views from any far infraed sauna in the world...where else can you watch monkeys swinging in the trees and views of the sea while sitting inside the sauna?! Thank you for sharing a slice of your paradise with us!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sammamish, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Did a one month yoga teacher training at Anamaya and I couldn't imagine a better experience. Yes there were some problems that we encountered (naturally as you would expect living in the jungle) but the owners did everything they could to make us comfortable and happy. The views are amazing. The environment is peaceful and quiet and the perfect setting to recharge and escape. Absolutely amazing. Cooks were accommodating.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Anamaya Resort is the ideal place to learn to teach yoga! The seaside jungle hilltop location is full of vibrant energy and the beautiful accommodations are in perfect harmony with the setting.The wonderful staff and owner are kind, helpful and make you feel at home. After a month of living there, it's hard to say good bye. For all-inclusive intensive trainings, you can't find a better value. I hope to go back for a retreat someday and bring my husband!

FYI: the walk up the hill from town takes time and effort (you may want to budget some cab fare) but waking up to the view is worth it!! The internet signal can be weak sometimes, so you may want to bring a hot spot or just plan to enjoy some time unplugged. Buy a sarong in town and use it as a cover up/beach towel...genius. Avoid packing more than you can comfortably carry...many of the houses are down winding stairs (plus you'll feel silly when everyone just has a backpack and you've got that plus a giant rolly bag haha:) and it's only a small fee for laundry service. Shopping prices in Montezuma are reflective of a large percentage of US and European tourists and it's expected to haggle. The best deals are: hammocks, coffee, jewelry and surf lessons at Playa Grande!

Room Tip: I stayed in Gaia house in late November/early December and was fine without air-conditioning but tha...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Anamaya has a beautiful yoga Shala and views. The food, particularly the vegan options, is wonderfully prepared by creative and inspiring chefs. Anamaya's greatest strength is its staff who are led by one of the most passionate general managers I've encountered in my travels across several continents. Jen and her team made us feel like family, or better, during our weeklong retreat. The Anamaya team turned our experience from a great one to truly unforgettable. Their attention to dietary restrictions, detailed activity plans, handling travel arrangements, etc. make Anamaya a unique retreat option. This is reflected in their relationships with local vendors and their many repeat guests. You WILL feel at home at Anamaya among this wonderful group of people.

• Stayed December 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I was at Anamaya for two weeks in April as a solo traveler. My experience was unique in that I got to experience two different groups, each there for a week-long retreat. Honestly, it felt like two different trips!

The first week was incredible. It was a lot of single travelers, and we were a small group of about 8 or 9 ladies. Everyone bonded right away, and there was a fantastic sense of community that I hadn't expected to find. Months later, I'm still in contact with most of the ladies, and some of us have even taken additional trips together.

For the first week, I stayed in the Serafina room with the bunk beds. While this is the smallest/most basic room, I actually really enjoyed it. It was cozy and bright, with french doors leading out to a small terrace and overlooking the property and the jungle. The room was quiet, and I felt very at home here.

The food at Anamaya deserves a paragraph all its own-- amazing, delicious, wow. I was excited for every meal, just waiting to see what they had created for us this time. The food was inventive and very healthy while still being ultra-flavorful. I've noticed that some reviewers mentioned being hungry, and I'm really surprised by that-- the portions weren't the massive over-servings that you see in restaurants, but they were more than enough for most everyone there. Also, there was a bowl of fruit out on the counter all day for the rare times when I wanted a snack between meals.

The yoga with Lia was great. I was impressed with the way she managed to lead a class that accommodated all skill levels. Some of the guests had only done yoga a handful of times, while others had been practicing for years. She gave us variations on the poses, and I think everyone felt that they were being challenged at their own level.

First week, big success! I almost wish I had left after one week, because the second week somehow didn't live up to the perfection of the first week.

A new group of travelers came and were in pairs, so it seemed to limit the mingling. I moved to the Ananda room, which was beautiful BUT I found myself missing the security of the main house. The week before I had arrived, a guest had had her iPhone stolen out of the Ananda room (by a local person, they surmised, and not by the staff, who were very genuine and honest folk). Since the only security was the lock on the sliding glass door, I found myself a little concerned being alone in the room.

The balcony off the room was the highlight, and I spent many hours reading in that hammock and watching the howler monkeys leaping through the trees.

Honestly, it was almost an intangible change, but in the second week another of the owners arrived and the place felt a bit colder, somehow. He seemed disinterested in the people staying, and I almost felt as though I was intruding in his home. Again, I can't put my finger on any one thing that made me feel that way, but other guests had mentioned the same and it definitely was the consensus.

So, on the whole I loved Anamaya, and would definitely go back. Had I only stayed one week, this would have been a glowing 5 star review without any negative points. The negative points, such as they are, are very small. Anamaya is a wonderful retreat, and those thinking of a trip should book!... but maybe just for one week. :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Been to Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center? Share your experiences!