“Highest quality staff and service level” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center
300 mts NE of Mariposario, Montezuma 00001, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 19 hotels in Montezuma
“Highest quality staff and service level”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Anamaya has a beautiful yoga Shala and views. The food, particularly the vegan options, is wonderfully prepared by creative and inspiring chefs. Anamaya's greatest strength is its staff who are led by one of the most passionate general managers I've encountered in my travels across several continents. Jen and her team made us feel like family, or better, during our weeklong retreat. The Anamaya team turned our experience from a great one to truly unforgettable. Their attention to dietary restrictions, detailed activity plans, handling travel arrangements, etc. make Anamaya a unique retreat option. This is reflected in their relationships with local vendors and their many repeat guests. You WILL feel at home at Anamaya among this wonderful group of people.

• Stayed December 2012

118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Winnipeg, Manitoba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I was at Anamaya for two weeks in April as a solo traveler. My experience was unique in that I got to experience two different groups, each there for a week-long retreat. Honestly, it felt like two different trips!

The first week was incredible. It was a lot of single travelers, and we were a small group of about 8 or 9 ladies. Everyone bonded right away, and there was a fantastic sense of community that I hadn't expected to find. Months later, I'm still in contact with most of the ladies, and some of us have even taken additional trips together.

For the first week, I stayed in the Serafina room with the bunk beds. While this is the smallest/most basic room, I actually really enjoyed it. It was cozy and bright, with french doors leading out to a small terrace and overlooking the property and the jungle. The room was quiet, and I felt very at home here.

The food at Anamaya deserves a paragraph all its own-- amazing, delicious, wow. I was excited for every meal, just waiting to see what they had created for us this time. The food was inventive and very healthy while still being ultra-flavorful. I've noticed that some reviewers mentioned being hungry, and I'm really surprised by that-- the portions weren't the massive over-servings that you see in restaurants, but they were more than enough for most everyone there. Also, there was a bowl of fruit out on the counter all day for the rare times when I wanted a snack between meals.

The yoga with Lia was great. I was impressed with the way she managed to lead a class that accommodated all skill levels. Some of the guests had only done yoga a handful of times, while others had been practicing for years. She gave us variations on the poses, and I think everyone felt that they were being challenged at their own level.

First week, big success! I almost wish I had left after one week, because the second week somehow didn't live up to the perfection of the first week.

A new group of travelers came and were in pairs, so it seemed to limit the mingling. I moved to the Ananda room, which was beautiful BUT I found myself missing the security of the main house. The week before I had arrived, a guest had had her iPhone stolen out of the Ananda room (by a local person, they surmised, and not by the staff, who were very genuine and honest folk). Since the only security was the lock on the sliding glass door, I found myself a little concerned being alone in the room.

The balcony off the room was the highlight, and I spent many hours reading in that hammock and watching the howler monkeys leaping through the trees.

Honestly, it was almost an intangible change, but in the second week another of the owners arrived and the place felt a bit colder, somehow. He seemed disinterested in the people staying, and I almost felt as though I was intruding in his home. Again, I can't put my finger on any one thing that made me feel that way, but other guests had mentioned the same and it definitely was the consensus.

So, on the whole I loved Anamaya, and would definitely go back. Had I only stayed one week, this would have been a glowing 5 star review without any negative points. The negative points, such as they are, are very small. Anamaya is a wonderful retreat, and those thinking of a trip should book!... but maybe just for one week. :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Crested Butte, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

What an amazing Costa Rican experience! The property is stunning, decorated entirely in Balinese taste, clean and refreshing. Upon arriving, it was nothing but relaxing and tranquil. The sunrises and sunsets are amazing from the hilltop vista. I participated in the yoga and surf retreat and both the yoga and surfing were amazing. The food was delicious and healthy and we got lots of exercise while also having plenty of time to relax.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
s
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My experience at Anamaya changed my life. I recently participated in the 200hr teacher training and it was the best decision I've ever made.There is something about the energy there, the peacefulness, the beauty, the sounds of the jungle that leave you constantly wondering if you're dreaming. And that sacred yoga deck. I'd never been in a space like that before, with such an expansive view of land, ocean and sky. Practicing on that deck made me feel connected to the universe, made me feel like I'm a part of something greater.

I used to have a really hard time making decisions. I hummed and hawed over whether or not Anamaya was going to be the best value for my money, if it would live up to the good reviews or if it was all too good to be true. And it turned out to be more wonderful than I could have ever imagined. It became my home, the staff my friends, the landscape familiar. It was the best money I have ever spent. I'd return tomorrow and take everyone I know with me if I could. If you're looking for solace, beauty, peace, nourishment, awe, rest, and sunshine, you must visit Anamaya.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

This spot is breathtaking. The view, the good, the yoga, the surfing are all first class. The staff make it feel like your home. I highly recommend the surf lessons with Young Vision Surf Instructors. Fly Sansa to get from San Jose. Don't bother with the shuttle. Take s taxi to snd from Montezuma, if you want to do a littld shopping. the walk down and up the hill is ambicious. Bring sonething other than flip flops for the waterfall hike. Buy some local Coconut oil. Have a facial with Sylvia. Would not change a thing about my stay. Highly recommend the Bali Cabana :)

• Stayed November 2012
Hamilton, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I discovered Anamaya while I was already in Montezuma so regrettably, I didn't stay there. I went there for morning yoga classes and aerial silks with Lia, who is just fantastic. She excels at incorporating yoga for all levels and abilities within the same class. She had us all "dancing between ease and effort" as she would say! The grounds and rooms were absolutely stunning and the view is one of the best I have seen in my life. The food looked divine and all of the guests could not say enough positive things about this place. The yoga deck location is quite possibly one of the best in the world. The owner was really wonderful too. I will absolutely come back to Montezuma and stay here one day!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Pace, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Anamaya is the most beautiful and magnificent place on Earth! I am convinced that and the entire staff, from the Grounds Keepers to Management are all Angels sent specifically to Anamaya to complete and complement this Heaven on Earth. The food - Oh My God - the food is absolutely amazing, not only in taste but in health benefits. (What I would give for one more bowl of soup!)The accommodations are the perfect balance of luxury and simplicity which immediately make you feel loved and wrapped in the comforts of home. The natural beauty that surrounds Anamaya is indescribable. Pictures can not come close to capturing the beauty, peacefulness, and holiness of this location. In my meager attempt to paint a picture for friends and family I described it as Paradise -- complete with Rainbows that make you weak in the knees, breathtaking Ocean views complete with magnificent aquatic wildlife that will bring tears to your eyes, Armies of Dragonflies sent to peacefully protect the sacred Yoga deck and all those that inhabit the space, Hummingbirds that even take the time to stop flapping their wings so they can relax and savor the nectar of the gardens, and to perfectly compliment the jungle atmosphere there are also the monkeys, geckos, and pazotes that peacefully and respectfully contribute to and share this heavenly space with the humans. Anamaya is only one unicorn short of being the perfect fairytale! I feel so blessed and honored to have been welcomed into your home and love and miss you all! Until we meet again - Love, Peace and Pura Vida!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center? Share your experiences!