“Book it now :)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center
You added Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center to your Saves list
300 mts NE of Mariposario, Montezuma 00001, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
s
“Book it now :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My experience at Anamaya changed my life. I recently participated in the 200hr teacher training and it was the best decision I've ever made.There is something about the energy there, the peacefulness, the beauty, the sounds of the jungle that leave you constantly wondering if you're dreaming. And that sacred yoga deck. I'd never been in a space like that before, with such an expansive view of land, ocean and sky. Practicing on that deck made me feel connected to the universe, made me feel like I'm a part of something greater.

I used to have a really hard time making decisions. I hummed and hawed over whether or not Anamaya was going to be the best value for my money, if it would live up to the good reviews or if it was all too good to be true. And it turned out to be more wonderful than I could have ever imagined. It became my home, the staff my friends, the landscape familiar. It was the best money I have ever spent. I'd return tomorrow and take everyone I know with me if I could. If you're looking for solace, beauty, peace, nourishment, awe, rest, and sunshine, you must visit Anamaya.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

This spot is breathtaking. The view, the good, the yoga, the surfing are all first class. The staff make it feel like your home. I highly recommend the surf lessons with Young Vision Surf Instructors. Fly Sansa to get from San Jose. Don't bother with the shuttle. Take s taxi to snd from Montezuma, if you want to do a littld shopping. the walk down and up the hill is ambicious. Bring sonething other than flip flops for the waterfall hike. Buy some local Coconut oil. Have a facial with Sylvia. Would not change a thing about my stay. Highly recommend the Bali Cabana :)

• Stayed November 2012
Hamilton, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I discovered Anamaya while I was already in Montezuma so regrettably, I didn't stay there. I went there for morning yoga classes and aerial silks with Lia, who is just fantastic. She excels at incorporating yoga for all levels and abilities within the same class. She had us all "dancing between ease and effort" as she would say! The grounds and rooms were absolutely stunning and the view is one of the best I have seen in my life. The food looked divine and all of the guests could not say enough positive things about this place. The yoga deck location is quite possibly one of the best in the world. The owner was really wonderful too. I will absolutely come back to Montezuma and stay here one day!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Pace, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Anamaya is the most beautiful and magnificent place on Earth! I am convinced that and the entire staff, from the Grounds Keepers to Management are all Angels sent specifically to Anamaya to complete and complement this Heaven on Earth. The food - Oh My God - the food is absolutely amazing, not only in taste but in health benefits. (What I would give for one more bowl of soup!)The accommodations are the perfect balance of luxury and simplicity which immediately make you feel loved and wrapped in the comforts of home. The natural beauty that surrounds Anamaya is indescribable. Pictures can not come close to capturing the beauty, peacefulness, and holiness of this location. In my meager attempt to paint a picture for friends and family I described it as Paradise -- complete with Rainbows that make you weak in the knees, breathtaking Ocean views complete with magnificent aquatic wildlife that will bring tears to your eyes, Armies of Dragonflies sent to peacefully protect the sacred Yoga deck and all those that inhabit the space, Hummingbirds that even take the time to stop flapping their wings so they can relax and savor the nectar of the gardens, and to perfectly compliment the jungle atmosphere there are also the monkeys, geckos, and pazotes that peacefully and respectfully contribute to and share this heavenly space with the humans. Anamaya is only one unicorn short of being the perfect fairytale! I feel so blessed and honored to have been welcomed into your home and love and miss you all! Until we meet again - Love, Peace and Pura Vida!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Having never traveled solo before, I was a bit nervous at how the week would go.
I ended up taking the shuttle, which was a great opportunity to get to know other guests.
The first person I met when I arrived was Jen, the general manager... she was so sweet and welcoming.
The food was WAY better than I had expected. The entire staff was amazing.
It felt like home the entire week. Me and the other guests ended up doing most things together. Everyone felt like family.
Lia was the yoga instructor and was so perfect... not to mention her aerial silks class... SO great.
I was so sad to leave, but I know I will be back!
HIGHLY recommend Anamaya!

Room Tip: My room faced the ocean... such a treat to wake up to that view every morning.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We were there last week, as a couple, expecting a one-week-relax/discovery trip for 2 yoga beginners. We had that and a lot more.
Arriving after dusk, we were greeted by a warm welcome and a delicious exotic meal, prepared by a local chef. The cabin (jungle) was as comfy and stylish as the pics suggested. Unfortunately, the birds and monkeys don't make it to the patio, but a 5minute walk will get you to them!
The next morning started by the daily morning yoga session with Lia. Her "go at your rhythm up to your own cliff's edge" approach made the beginners comfortable and the advanced satisfied. Every morning, she got pretty much all of us craving for our next ocean-view session! The yoga program was completed by pm sessions of acro/team with Joseph, the co-owner, or Chill/restorative yoga with Sylvia. The team/acro were very entertaining, bringing a new interactive component to yoga. We could very well appreciate Joseph's expertise and creativity as well as his eager to have us get the maximum out of our Anamaya experience. As for Sylvia, her calm and almost "maternal" touch made her sessions very soothing, especially for those who did hiking or surfing during the day. Talking about soothing, Diane and Laura, the massotherapists had no equal to find that soar muscle and fix it!
The chefs were terrific and one, Natie, let us have some of our secrets with a wonderful cooking lesson!
Thank you for that recharging experience and bringing our yoga to another level!
We will be back,
K&S

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Joseph-Anamaya, Owner at Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Hi "Ruckuz," thanks for taking the time to write about your experience. It was really wonderful having you at Anamaya. I'm glad you liked the partner/acro yoga. I love that you called it team/acro yoga. The second partner class we did was practiced in a circle all together so I can see how you got that name. Hope to see you again one day...
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Pictures do not do this place justice! My daughter and I shared the Yoga/Adventure package and she surfed 4 out of 5 days.....Everyone was so wonderful! Jen, Gretel, Lauren, Natie, Albert became like family after just one day! There were some who had years of yoga experience, some intermediates, then there was ME----I had never been to a yoga class in my life! Lia was outstanding----it was great enough for those with experience and she helped me adapt to my own "cliff's edge"! None of us even THOUGHT about missing a class! Sylvia's restorative yoga sessions are not to be missed -----I am totally spoiled. I love yoga!!!!! The hikes and the waterfalls are not to be missed either---bring good water-shoes for the climbs over and through the falls. We thought we were going to lose weight on this adventure because who expected the food to be SOOOOO over-the-top!!!!! We stayed in the lotus cabana. The views from our cabana were incredible; we woke up with the howler monkeys at sunrise every morning and opened the curtains to soak it all in----or went out on our balcony in the hammocks----too awesome! Getting to and from Anamaya is an adventure in itself......most of us opted to take the shuttle/ferry from San Jose International airport to Anamaya (we called the van/taxi rides "Costa Rican Massages"...try not to sit in the back); the ferry ride to the peninsula was great! We flew back from Timbor to San Jose----important tip: make your reservations early on Sansas if you can so you can fly direct to the international airport. If not, Nature Air flies to an airport about an hour away from San Jose International airport----keep that in mind when making your arrangements.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center? Share your experiences!