“Beyond expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center
Save Saved
You added Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center to your Saves list
300 mts NE of Mariposario, Montezuma 00001, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
canada
“Beyond expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We were there last week, as a couple, expecting a one-week-relax/discovery trip for 2 yoga beginners. We had that and a lot more.
Arriving after dusk, we were greeted by a warm welcome and a delicious exotic meal, prepared by a local chef. The cabin (jungle) was as comfy and stylish as the pics suggested. Unfortunately, the birds and monkeys don't make it to the patio, but a 5minute walk will get you to them!
The next morning started by the daily morning yoga session with Lia. Her "go at your rhythm up to your own cliff's edge" approach made the beginners comfortable and the advanced satisfied. Every morning, she got pretty much all of us craving for our next ocean-view session! The yoga program was completed by pm sessions of acro/team with Joseph, the co-owner, or Chill/restorative yoga with Sylvia. The team/acro were very entertaining, bringing a new interactive component to yoga. We could very well appreciate Joseph's expertise and creativity as well as his eager to have us get the maximum out of our Anamaya experience. As for Sylvia, her calm and almost "maternal" touch made her sessions very soothing, especially for those who did hiking or surfing during the day. Talking about soothing, Diane and Laura, the massotherapists had no equal to find that soar muscle and fix it!
The chefs were terrific and one, Natie, let us have some of our secrets with a wonderful cooking lesson!
Thank you for that recharging experience and bringing our yoga to another level!
We will be back,
K&S

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Joseph-Anamaya, Owner at Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Hi "Ruckuz," thanks for taking the time to write about your experience. It was really wonderful having you at Anamaya. I'm glad you liked the partner/acro yoga. I love that you called it team/acro yoga. The second partner class we did was practiced in a circle all together so I can see how you got that name. Hope to see you again one day...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Pictures do not do this place justice! My daughter and I shared the Yoga/Adventure package and she surfed 4 out of 5 days.....Everyone was so wonderful! Jen, Gretel, Lauren, Natie, Albert became like family after just one day! There were some who had years of yoga experience, some intermediates, then there was ME----I had never been to a yoga class in my life! Lia was outstanding----it was great enough for those with experience and she helped me adapt to my own "cliff's edge"! None of us even THOUGHT about missing a class! Sylvia's restorative yoga sessions are not to be missed -----I am totally spoiled. I love yoga!!!!! The hikes and the waterfalls are not to be missed either---bring good water-shoes for the climbs over and through the falls. We thought we were going to lose weight on this adventure because who expected the food to be SOOOOO over-the-top!!!!! We stayed in the lotus cabana. The views from our cabana were incredible; we woke up with the howler monkeys at sunrise every morning and opened the curtains to soak it all in----or went out on our balcony in the hammocks----too awesome! Getting to and from Anamaya is an adventure in itself......most of us opted to take the shuttle/ferry from San Jose International airport to Anamaya (we called the van/taxi rides "Costa Rican Massages"...try not to sit in the back); the ferry ride to the peninsula was great! We flew back from Timbor to San Jose----important tip: make your reservations early on Sansas if you can so you can fly direct to the international airport. If not, Nature Air flies to an airport about an hour away from San Jose International airport----keep that in mind when making your arrangements.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

From the very minute I arrived until the minute I left, Anamaya surpassed any and all expectations I may have had.
In my opinion we had a great group who genuinely enjoyed learning about and spending time with each other.
Jen and the rest of the staff bent over backwards, while making it look easy, to make sure everyone was happy. The yoga that I participated in was emotionally moving to say the least, thanks to The Invitation. The rest of the activities offered just put the icing on the cake.
as solo traveler, I was hoping I wouldn't be bored. Quite the opposite, from the rest of the solo travelers to the honeymooning couple, boredom was never an issue. I consider my new friends, friends for life.
Anamaya was an experience that all should have. I'll be back.

• Stayed October 2012
Venice, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

The minute I stepped foot in anamaya I felt a warm feeling. At that moment i knew that this was going to be a wonderful month. The view from the yoga deck is indescribable. Pictures do not do justice. It is absolutely breathtaking. The hospitality is perfection. The staff is genuine. The food is divine. I couldn't have been happier with everything. I recommend anamaya to everyone.

• Stayed September 2012
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I visited Anamaya for a retreat and plan to return soon. It was a great experience. The staff was friendly and helpful. The food was delicious and plentiful. Their accommodations are perfect for the setting. It's an overall great atmosphere.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
new england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

My wife and I spent three nights in the Bali Cabina this past winter and found it to be a gorgeous and relaxing setting. The cabina was exquisitely built and decorated and has a stunning view. Breakfasts were great but we didn't have any other meals. The infinity pool was fun but the big thing we loved was the proximity to the waterfalls, just a great 5 minute walk down the hill.

The one thing that was unfortunate about our trip was that there was a workshop or retreat of some sort being held while we were there and that created a pretty insular and not all that welcoming feeling as we were seemingly the only ones staying there who were not involved. The staff, while fairly friendly, were certainly more focused on the group than they were on us. We waited for breakfast for about 75 minutes one day because one of the group activities were running late. I can understand catering to the larger group, certain, but when we're paying $300 nightly throwing a little love our way wouldn't have hurt!

Room Tip: Bali Cabina is amazing!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I simply cannot say enough good things about Anamaya! The property is amazingly beautiful, and the staff stops at nothing to ensure all guests are well attended to and comfortable. The food, wow! There wasn't a dissatisfied guest at meal time. The staff takes care of anything you need arranged, from taxis, to flights, to local activities, and more.
There were quite a few in house activities as well, including salsa dancing lessons, a circus performance that included aerial silks, fire dancing, juggling, and a unicycle.

I highly recommend taking surf lessons while here if you have any desire to learn. Anamaya works with Young Vision Surf School and they come and pick you up right at the front door of the property. Awesome service! The beach bonfire in Santa Teresa is fantastic, put on by the Surf School in conjunction with Anamaya.

Make sure and hit reggae night at Chico's Bar in town!

They don't use pesticides at Anamaya, but quite frankly I never put on bug spray the entire week and never got a single bite.

The only negatives, and they are minor. The small swimming pool should be a hot tub. The soap they provide in the rooms is really tough to open, falls apart, and really doesn't lather up much at all.

Room Tip: La Casita is the room away from the more occupied areas on the property. Great room for those seeki...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center? Share your experiences!