“Best Time Ever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center
You added Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center to your Saves list
300 mts NE of Mariposario, Montezuma 00001, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
“Best Time Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

From the very minute I arrived until the minute I left, Anamaya surpassed any and all expectations I may have had.
In my opinion we had a great group who genuinely enjoyed learning about and spending time with each other.
Jen and the rest of the staff bent over backwards, while making it look easy, to make sure everyone was happy. The yoga that I participated in was emotionally moving to say the least, thanks to The Invitation. The rest of the activities offered just put the icing on the cake.
as solo traveler, I was hoping I wouldn't be bored. Quite the opposite, from the rest of the solo travelers to the honeymooning couple, boredom was never an issue. I consider my new friends, friends for life.
Anamaya was an experience that all should have. I'll be back.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank DANVER2012

Venice, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

The minute I stepped foot in anamaya I felt a warm feeling. At that moment i knew that this was going to be a wonderful month. The view from the yoga deck is indescribable. Pictures do not do justice. It is absolutely breathtaking. The hospitality is perfection. The staff is genuine. The food is divine. I couldn't have been happier with everything. I recommend anamaya to everyone.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Ajuliasenyitko
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I visited Anamaya for a retreat and plan to return soon. It was a great experience. The staff was friendly and helpful. The food was delicious and plentiful. Their accommodations are perfect for the setting. It's an overall great atmosphere.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank James C
new england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

My wife and I spent three nights in the Bali Cabina this past winter and found it to be a gorgeous and relaxing setting. The cabina was exquisitely built and decorated and has a stunning view. Breakfasts were great but we didn't have any other meals. The infinity pool was fun but the big thing we loved was the proximity to the waterfalls, just a great 5 minute walk down the hill.

The one thing that was unfortunate about our trip was that there was a workshop or retreat of some sort being held while we were there and that created a pretty insular and not all that welcoming feeling as we were seemingly the only ones staying there who were not involved. The staff, while fairly friendly, were certainly more focused on the group than they were on us. We waited for breakfast for about 75 minutes one day because one of the group activities were running late. I can understand catering to the larger group, certain, but when we're paying $300 nightly throwing a little love our way wouldn't have hurt!

Room Tip: Bali Cabina is amazing!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
6 Thank newenglandtravel73
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I simply cannot say enough good things about Anamaya! The property is amazingly beautiful, and the staff stops at nothing to ensure all guests are well attended to and comfortable. The food, wow! There wasn't a dissatisfied guest at meal time. The staff takes care of anything you need arranged, from taxis, to flights, to local activities, and more.
There were quite a few in house activities as well, including salsa dancing lessons, a circus performance that included aerial silks, fire dancing, juggling, and a unicycle.

I highly recommend taking surf lessons while here if you have any desire to learn. Anamaya works with Young Vision Surf School and they come and pick you up right at the front door of the property. Awesome service! The beach bonfire in Santa Teresa is fantastic, put on by the Surf School in conjunction with Anamaya.

Make sure and hit reggae night at Chico's Bar in town!

They don't use pesticides at Anamaya, but quite frankly I never put on bug spray the entire week and never got a single bite.

The only negatives, and they are minor. The small swimming pool should be a hot tub. The soap they provide in the rooms is really tough to open, falls apart, and really doesn't lather up much at all.

Room Tip: La Casita is the room away from the more occupied areas on the property. Great room for those seeki...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Jeff S
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We had a sassy group, so that made the trip extra special and full of interesting experiences. Amazing food, awesome staff, and an all around zenful getaway. Owners and staff were wonderful and catered to all of your requests. I felt as if I was back in college and lived on campus, again. (What a great feeling to go back to.) Beware of the jurassic sized bugs. They don't really believe in pesticides, so that's the one draw back. I'm just not that "one with nature".
Yoga was very good, and lived up to its expectation.
Overall, a magical adventure that will stay with me always!

Room Tip: I had the jungle room. I think that room gets a lot more in terms of bugs do to its location. Beaut...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank saranda b
Oreland, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Let me start by saying that I had an amazing experience here at Anamaya. It's unlike any vacation I've taken before. The place is more beautiful than the photos can show you, the food is healthy AND delicious (and plentiful - don't let any other reviews make you believe otherwise). The yoga was challenging enough for someone like me, who had been away from it for more than a year. I did not participate in the surfing; but found plenty to keep me busy with horseback riding, the small town, relaxing massages from Dianne (she's a gem), the infrared sauna, relaxing by the pool and in the hammocks; and hiking down to the nearby waterfall.

There were a few minor annoyances due to ongoing construction at the resort; however, I understand the need to expand and grow. I just wish they had warned me ahead of time. If you go, plan to wait a couple of months for the construction to be completed. You will not be disappointed. Providing slightly larger bath towels would also be appreciated.And bugs. There are many critters in this place and they will be with you all the time! I got used to them. But not everyone around me did.

Overall, everyone was very professional and respectful towards me. I expressed some of my above concerns to the staff before I left, and they were wonderful. I feel they really want this place to continue to be a truly unique and superior experience.

It was hard to leave Anamaya; and each night (and during the day at work) I still dream about the breath-taking views, heavenly pool, friendly people, and incredibly peaceful feeling I left with at the end of my journey. Pura vista, Anamaya! I will be back!

Room Tip: A few of the rooms don't have air conditioning; so if you travel here during the hotter months...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ibkarenoid
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montezuma
Kalapiti Luxury Jungle Suites
Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat
Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat
#12 of 27 in Santa Teresa
4.5 of 5 stars 246 reviews

Been to Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center? Share your experiences!