“Great spot, not ideal when workshops are held.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center
Save Saved
You added Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center to your Saves list
300 mts NE of Mariposario, Montezuma 00001, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
new england
“Great spot, not ideal when workshops are held.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

My wife and I spent three nights in the Bali Cabina this past winter and found it to be a gorgeous and relaxing setting. The cabina was exquisitely built and decorated and has a stunning view. Breakfasts were great but we didn't have any other meals. The infinity pool was fun but the big thing we loved was the proximity to the waterfalls, just a great 5 minute walk down the hill.

The one thing that was unfortunate about our trip was that there was a workshop or retreat of some sort being held while we were there and that created a pretty insular and not all that welcoming feeling as we were seemingly the only ones staying there who were not involved. The staff, while fairly friendly, were certainly more focused on the group than they were on us. We waited for breakfast for about 75 minutes one day because one of the group activities were running late. I can understand catering to the larger group, certain, but when we're paying $300 nightly throwing a little love our way wouldn't have hurt!

Room Tip: Bali Cabina is amazing!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I simply cannot say enough good things about Anamaya! The property is amazingly beautiful, and the staff stops at nothing to ensure all guests are well attended to and comfortable. The food, wow! There wasn't a dissatisfied guest at meal time. The staff takes care of anything you need arranged, from taxis, to flights, to local activities, and more.
There were quite a few in house activities as well, including salsa dancing lessons, a circus performance that included aerial silks, fire dancing, juggling, and a unicycle.

I highly recommend taking surf lessons while here if you have any desire to learn. Anamaya works with Young Vision Surf School and they come and pick you up right at the front door of the property. Awesome service! The beach bonfire in Santa Teresa is fantastic, put on by the Surf School in conjunction with Anamaya.

Make sure and hit reggae night at Chico's Bar in town!

They don't use pesticides at Anamaya, but quite frankly I never put on bug spray the entire week and never got a single bite.

The only negatives, and they are minor. The small swimming pool should be a hot tub. The soap they provide in the rooms is really tough to open, falls apart, and really doesn't lather up much at all.

Room Tip: La Casita is the room away from the more occupied areas on the property. Great room for those seeki...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We had a sassy group, so that made the trip extra special and full of interesting experiences. Amazing food, awesome staff, and an all around zenful getaway. Owners and staff were wonderful and catered to all of your requests. I felt as if I was back in college and lived on campus, again. (What a great feeling to go back to.) Beware of the jurassic sized bugs. They don't really believe in pesticides, so that's the one draw back. I'm just not that "one with nature".
Yoga was very good, and lived up to its expectation.
Overall, a magical adventure that will stay with me always!

Room Tip: I had the jungle room. I think that room gets a lot more in terms of bugs do to its location. Beaut...
Oreland, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Let me start by saying that I had an amazing experience here at Anamaya. It's unlike any vacation I've taken before. The place is more beautiful than the photos can show you, the food is healthy AND delicious (and plentiful - don't let any other reviews make you believe otherwise). The yoga was challenging enough for someone like me, who had been away from it for more than a year. I did not participate in the surfing; but found plenty to keep me busy with horseback riding, the small town, relaxing massages from Dianne (she's a gem), the infrared sauna, relaxing by the pool and in the hammocks; and hiking down to the nearby waterfall.

There were a few minor annoyances due to ongoing construction at the resort; however, I understand the need to expand and grow. I just wish they had warned me ahead of time. If you go, plan to wait a couple of months for the construction to be completed. You will not be disappointed. Providing slightly larger bath towels would also be appreciated.And bugs. There are many critters in this place and they will be with you all the time! I got used to them. But not everyone around me did.

Overall, everyone was very professional and respectful towards me. I expressed some of my above concerns to the staff before I left, and they were wonderful. I feel they really want this place to continue to be a truly unique and superior experience.

It was hard to leave Anamaya; and each night (and during the day at work) I still dream about the breath-taking views, heavenly pool, friendly people, and incredibly peaceful feeling I left with at the end of my journey. Pura vista, Anamaya! I will be back!

Room Tip: A few of the rooms don't have air conditioning; so if you travel here during the hotter months...
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This review comes somewhat delayed. I went to Anamaya back in March of this year and I had such a great time. You need to read a few reviews so you can truly appreciate it and get a sense of the place. It feels like a home away from home but when you need privacy you can retreat to your room or villa and just take in the beautiful environs or take a nap in your air conditioned room.

This is not like staying at a large resort, they only have capacity for around 30 people, and everyone is there Saturday to Saturday so you get to know everyone and spend a lot of time together at Yoga, morning coffee and fruit while watching the sunrise or monkeys play in the trees, or at the pool, the sauna, meals or excursions.

The staff was fantastic - the chef was previously from the Four Seasons (and I believe now opening his own restaurant nearby), the office staff responsive and accommodating; finding the right times for massage appointments, or custom-designing an excursion for the smaller in-house group that was there that week, or moving our yoga class earlier or later to make it work for our schedule - they really know how to run a resort.

There's so much to say - the nearby town is wonderful and has an organic market on Saturdays, several organic/healthy restaurants, a real gelato place, open mike on Mondays (where one of the staff sings - she's amazing!), and more.

Just go! For the price you can't beat it. Just make sure to take Nature Air or Sansa (the two domestic carriers) if you're connecting from San Jose or Liberia - especially LIberia since the roads are very bumpy and you go slowly. From San Jose I hear there's a highway most of the way, but still a bit of a ride.

Anyway, enjoy! And thanks so much Anamaya - I had a lovely time and made friends for life!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I had an amazing time. Incredible property and staff. The yoga/surf retreat was everything I wanted it to be and more. I will be back with my husband! Thank you Anamaya :)

Room Tip: I stayed in the Ananda - amazing!
Manhattan Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Anamaya wants you to have an experience in Montezuma. Whatever that is, let it be yours.
I traveled for the first time to Costa Rica understanding I would practice yoga, take surf lessons, eat delicious organic food and experience adventure. Based on Anamaya's incredible reviews and gorgeous photos- I knew I was entering a paradise and ready to leave a few things behind.

What I couldn't predict was the magic that would happen. That occasion, throughout life which cannot be premeditated or forced. For me this was a greater self love, appreciation of community and adoration of nature and how living surrounded by nature transforms the spirit.

In my two weeks here, this would stew to create a heart memory that will live on with me and with intention through my actions back to my daily life in Los Angeles.

Anamaya is the space to let go of expectation as to be wooed by a much more tender experience limited only by how open you are to seeing it.

I would challenge visitors to Let themselves be known and celebrated by the other visitors who travel through, say yes to everything from aerial silks to surfing to massage. Feel rooted on the yoga deck and take in the breathtaking view. Notice the kindness that the town cultivates and dance outside under the stars, especially if it rains.

As I looked out from the infinity pool across the jungle to a stunning vivid panoramic stretch of ocean so vast it appears you can see the curve of the earth and I thought I must be doing something right with my life if this is where this journey has led. Namaste.

I found this gem of a quote in my room at Anamaya and find it to be quite appropriate. "The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them"
-Albert Einstein

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center? Share your experiences!