“"Life altering and stunning views!"” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center
Save Saved
You added Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center to your Saves list
300 mts NE of Mariposario, Montezuma 00001, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
New York City, New York
“"Life altering and stunning views!"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We had a sassy group, so that made the trip extra special and full of interesting experiences. Amazing food, awesome staff, and an all around zenful getaway. Owners and staff were wonderful and catered to all of your requests. I felt as if I was back in college and lived on campus, again. (What a great feeling to go back to.) Beware of the jurassic sized bugs. They don't really believe in pesticides, so that's the one draw back. I'm just not that "one with nature".
Yoga was very good, and lived up to its expectation.
Overall, a magical adventure that will stay with me always!

Room Tip: I had the jungle room. I think that room gets a lot more in terms of bugs do to its location. Beaut...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Oreland, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Let me start by saying that I had an amazing experience here at Anamaya. It's unlike any vacation I've taken before. The place is more beautiful than the photos can show you, the food is healthy AND delicious (and plentiful - don't let any other reviews make you believe otherwise). The yoga was challenging enough for someone like me, who had been away from it for more than a year. I did not participate in the surfing; but found plenty to keep me busy with horseback riding, the small town, relaxing massages from Dianne (she's a gem), the infrared sauna, relaxing by the pool and in the hammocks; and hiking down to the nearby waterfall.

There were a few minor annoyances due to ongoing construction at the resort; however, I understand the need to expand and grow. I just wish they had warned me ahead of time. If you go, plan to wait a couple of months for the construction to be completed. You will not be disappointed. Providing slightly larger bath towels would also be appreciated.And bugs. There are many critters in this place and they will be with you all the time! I got used to them. But not everyone around me did.

Overall, everyone was very professional and respectful towards me. I expressed some of my above concerns to the staff before I left, and they were wonderful. I feel they really want this place to continue to be a truly unique and superior experience.

It was hard to leave Anamaya; and each night (and during the day at work) I still dream about the breath-taking views, heavenly pool, friendly people, and incredibly peaceful feeling I left with at the end of my journey. Pura vista, Anamaya! I will be back!

Room Tip: A few of the rooms don't have air conditioning; so if you travel here during the hotter months...
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This review comes somewhat delayed. I went to Anamaya back in March of this year and I had such a great time. You need to read a few reviews so you can truly appreciate it and get a sense of the place. It feels like a home away from home but when you need privacy you can retreat to your room or villa and just take in the beautiful environs or take a nap in your air conditioned room.

This is not like staying at a large resort, they only have capacity for around 30 people, and everyone is there Saturday to Saturday so you get to know everyone and spend a lot of time together at Yoga, morning coffee and fruit while watching the sunrise or monkeys play in the trees, or at the pool, the sauna, meals or excursions.

The staff was fantastic - the chef was previously from the Four Seasons (and I believe now opening his own restaurant nearby), the office staff responsive and accommodating; finding the right times for massage appointments, or custom-designing an excursion for the smaller in-house group that was there that week, or moving our yoga class earlier or later to make it work for our schedule - they really know how to run a resort.

There's so much to say - the nearby town is wonderful and has an organic market on Saturdays, several organic/healthy restaurants, a real gelato place, open mike on Mondays (where one of the staff sings - she's amazing!), and more.

Just go! For the price you can't beat it. Just make sure to take Nature Air or Sansa (the two domestic carriers) if you're connecting from San Jose or Liberia - especially LIberia since the roads are very bumpy and you go slowly. From San Jose I hear there's a highway most of the way, but still a bit of a ride.

Anyway, enjoy! And thanks so much Anamaya - I had a lovely time and made friends for life!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I had an amazing time. Incredible property and staff. The yoga/surf retreat was everything I wanted it to be and more. I will be back with my husband! Thank you Anamaya :)

Room Tip: I stayed in the Ananda - amazing!
Manhattan Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Anamaya wants you to have an experience in Montezuma. Whatever that is, let it be yours.
I traveled for the first time to Costa Rica understanding I would practice yoga, take surf lessons, eat delicious organic food and experience adventure. Based on Anamaya's incredible reviews and gorgeous photos- I knew I was entering a paradise and ready to leave a few things behind.

What I couldn't predict was the magic that would happen. That occasion, throughout life which cannot be premeditated or forced. For me this was a greater self love, appreciation of community and adoration of nature and how living surrounded by nature transforms the spirit.

In my two weeks here, this would stew to create a heart memory that will live on with me and with intention through my actions back to my daily life in Los Angeles.

Anamaya is the space to let go of expectation as to be wooed by a much more tender experience limited only by how open you are to seeing it.

I would challenge visitors to Let themselves be known and celebrated by the other visitors who travel through, say yes to everything from aerial silks to surfing to massage. Feel rooted on the yoga deck and take in the breathtaking view. Notice the kindness that the town cultivates and dance outside under the stars, especially if it rains.

As I looked out from the infinity pool across the jungle to a stunning vivid panoramic stretch of ocean so vast it appears you can see the curve of the earth and I thought I must be doing something right with my life if this is where this journey has led. Namaste.

I found this gem of a quote in my room at Anamaya and find it to be quite appropriate. "The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them"
-Albert Einstein

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Wow.. where do I start?
I traveled to Costa Rica near the end of May-June 2012 for a yoga retreat/self-discovery trip. Having done a lot of research on yoga retreats in the area I finally decided to choose Anamaya, and what an excellent choice!!
I'll start by saying that everything was very well organized, from the travel to-from the airport, to the activities, to the yoga classes! I chose to book the shuttle-ferry-shuttle route through Anamaya and it was efficient and professional. Upon arrival to the resort we were showed our rooms and fed the most delicious supper!
Now the food... as you have read in many other reviews... is to DIE FOR. Most of it was gluten-free, dairy free and all organic, and it was some of the most tasteful food I have ever had. Johanne (the head chef) did an absolutely amazing job creating the menu; mealtimes were parts of the day I looked forward to most! (and yoga, of course).
We had two yoga classes a day; in the morning and in the evening on the beautiful yoga deck overlooking the coast. Morning classes were energizing whereas evening classes were rejuvenating sessions, both an hour and a half each. Now I'm not sure if they switch this up at all but I really like how it was done! There really is a difference when you do yoga with a view... ahhhhhhh
As for the rooms; they were wonderful! I had asked to be paired up with a couple of roommates for frugal means and I'm super happy with the room they gave me! It was up above the lobby with a shared bathroom (you'd think it would be super noisy at night but I didn't ever hear a thing from downstairs!). We had a beautiful balcony where we could watch the sunrise. The rooms were clean, air-conditioned and cozy with big closets. My only complaints would be the shared bathroom as sometimes the occupants of the other room (or ourselves!) would forget to unlock the door, which meant we were locked out and had to ask the staff to rescue us. But that aside, everything was fabulous. Also, there is a safe in the room large enough for small items like passports, money, etc, but to be honest I never used it and never felt like my valuables were threatened.
The resort itself is amazingly beautiful. It is perched up on a hill, about a 15 minute walk from Montezuma center, and offers the most spectacular views (which i never got tired of!). A great addition was the infinity pool which overlooked the coast; we all loved to hang out for hours just looking out.. soooo good!
Aside from that it had very lush surroundings; beautiful flowers, healthy forests, etc. Of course, with these surroundings comes insects which is to be expected. At first it was a shock because I for one am not used to having insects crowd my floors at home but we quickly got used to it. Anamaya doesn't use insecticides in order to be green so yes, you will get the odd creepy crawler but it was never an issue (at least not in my room). Just make sure you keep your room lights turned off at night (inside and out) when you are not using your room and the insects will stay away. They also had cute little gecko-lizards everywhere, they also served as additional roommates (don't be alarmed by the random squeals in the middle of the night.. it's just a gecko! haha).
As for activities, there was something fun planned every day! It was optional so you could sign up for it at the beginning of the week and opt out if you changed your mind, but I definitely recommend joining in. It’s a great way to meet the other guests and make great bonds. Zip-lining, the waterfall hike, Tortuga island tour, cooking class, group outing to Monezuma, salsa dancing in Cobano (or was it Cabuya?), the bonfire night… every activity was well worth it and brings me back such good memories!
Basically, Anamaya offered such good value for the amount I paid. It definitely surpassed my expectations. I was blown away by the kindness of the staff, the dedication of the management and the friendliness of everyone I met at that retreat. I knew the first day that I arrived that I was going to come back one day, and I'm looking forwards to that!
Thank you so, so much for making this a trip of a lifetime. I was so fortunate to have experienced such a fulfilling week in Costa Rica.
I left with my heart full of gratitude, love, friendship and balance. Thank you!
Pura Vida!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Union, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

My experience(it was way more than a trip) at Anamaya was for nine glorius days in March 2012.
It was what I had hoped and more. I planned the trip to a "T" and it was well worth it. After much deliberation I chose to fly(Sansa Air) from San Jose to Tambor. It was not an easy decision as flying on a small aircraft scared me. I tell you it was the most exhilarating thing I did up until I ziplined. I arrived at Anamaya and it was all everyone said and more. I stayed in the Bali Cabina and it was(words fail here but I will try) it was spirit soothing. To see the sun rise over the ocean by just opening your eyes was amazing. The open air bathroom was beautiful and it was completely private. To sit on the deck overlooking the ocean as the sun greets you was amazing!! The food was so fresh, so tasty and just enough. I took pictures of every meal! The staff is wonderful! The yoga was authentic, healing and rejuvenating. The day trips were adventurous and fun. Playa Hermosa is breathtaking. I had the pleasure of witnessing the beautiful phenomenon of bioluminesence for three nights as I looked out the floor to ceiling windows of the Bali Cabina room. The town of Montezuma is a laid back, "bohemian" haven. After a walk to town down a serious hill at times, good shopping and a spanish class or two, head back to Anamaya(preferably by taxis that are plentiful) and take a soothing dip in the infinity pool. I could write forever as I am still processing the experience. Pura Vida.

Room Tip: Bali Cabina room. Just book well in advance as it is very popular. I booked in October for my trip...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center? Share your experiences!