“Paradise Found!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center
You added Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center to your Saves list
300 mts NE of Mariposario, Montezuma 00001, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Union, NJ
“Paradise Found!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

My experience(it was way more than a trip) at Anamaya was for nine glorius days in March 2012.
It was what I had hoped and more. I planned the trip to a "T" and it was well worth it. After much deliberation I chose to fly(Sansa Air) from San Jose to Tambor. It was not an easy decision as flying on a small aircraft scared me. I tell you it was the most exhilarating thing I did up until I ziplined. I arrived at Anamaya and it was all everyone said and more. I stayed in the Bali Cabina and it was(words fail here but I will try) it was spirit soothing. To see the sun rise over the ocean by just opening your eyes was amazing. The open air bathroom was beautiful and it was completely private. To sit on the deck overlooking the ocean as the sun greets you was amazing!! The food was so fresh, so tasty and just enough. I took pictures of every meal! The staff is wonderful! The yoga was authentic, healing and rejuvenating. The day trips were adventurous and fun. Playa Hermosa is breathtaking. I had the pleasure of witnessing the beautiful phenomenon of bioluminesence for three nights as I looked out the floor to ceiling windows of the Bali Cabina room. The town of Montezuma is a laid back, "bohemian" haven. After a walk to town down a serious hill at times, good shopping and a spanish class or two, head back to Anamaya(preferably by taxis that are plentiful) and take a soothing dip in the infinity pool. I could write forever as I am still processing the experience. Pura Vida.

Room Tip: Bali Cabina room. Just book well in advance as it is very popular. I booked in October for my trip...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Portland, Maine, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I visited Anamaya in March 2012. It was by far the best vacation that I have been on in my life. The staff was very friendly, the rooms were beautiful and the food....well let me just say AMAZING!!! Anamaya will provide anyone with a total state of bliss..

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Traveled to Anamaya to get away from the hustle and bustle of life - and I certainly got what I wanted. The property grounds are beautiful, and the view from Anamaya just takes your breath away. Most of the staff was very wonderful and helpful and eager to please. I was put off by the owner, who did not seem pleasant or engaged with us, which was a turn off. The food really is incredible - it's healthy and you won't feel hungry the entire week. Hats off to the culinary staff. I liked all the classes and excursions offered, but we weren't able to get to the animal rehabilitation center, as listed on their site. Seemed to be steered in a direction to not go there, which was disappointing. The casitas were nice, but ants were a huge problem and made it difficult to find comfort in sleeping. Granted, the resort is in the jungle, so bugs are to be expected, but I still wasn't comfortable. Upgrades to the bath towels would have been nice.

Overall, I had a pleasant stay at Anamaya. It was quite the experience and I enjoyed my time there. The staff, the food and the view made it all worth it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Cheyenne, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

My trip to Anamaya was in late March 2012. The views were breathtaking, the food was the delicious, healthy & fresh (I never felt hungry!). Seriously the best food Ive ever tasted in my life!! The yoga was so inspirational that Ive continued to make that a big part of my life. The staff provides a daily schedule of activities/events that you can participate in (or not)...guilt free. The group beach trip was a blast, even if you dont surf! The waterfall hike was beautiful and the guide was very knowledgable. The zumba was so much fun, I cant remember the last time I laughed so hard! You can get whatever your seeking from this amazing retreat....whether its complete bliss or adventure. There isnt a review, picture or video that that could properly describe the amazing experience you will receive at Anamaya. The staff are the shining stars of this retreat. You will never meet a group of people that are more accomodating, friendly and knowledgeable at any other resort. I felt like I was part of a family. Truly an experience I will never forget.

Room Tip: The room I stayed in was convenient and large (we had 4 people in our group).I turned the A/C on for...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Madison
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

I recently traveled solo to Anamaya for a Yoga/Adventure Retreat. I was able to carve out ample periods of time and space for quiet personal reflection and also enjoy the good company of fellow travelers and the friendly Anamaya staff. The landscape is breathtaking and the aesthetics of the property are a beautiful balance of simplicity and luxury. Open air architecture connects visitors and their experiences with the natural world around them. (Expect some visitors from the animal kingdom.) Yoga sessions overlooking the forest and the ocean were supportive, challenging and healing. Each healthful and delicious meal was a mini-vacation, rich with local fruits and vegetables. The property lost electrical power several times during our stay but kitchen staff continued to provide amazing meals with gas stoves which were served by candlelight. Each day brought choices to do as much or as little as one chose. Options included zipline tours, snorkeling, surfing, hiking, waterfall visits, dancing, beaching, massages and trips to town with time left over for swinging in a hammock, relaxing in the pool, reading a book or getting to know other guests and the staff. The trip was good for the mind, body and soul!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Mariposa Del Sol Casita and loved it. It's away from the other buildings which...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I had a spectacular experience at Anamaya! The property is stunning, my room was beautiful with great views, the yoga was awesome and the food was fresh and delicious. The staff was helpful and friendly and the town of Montezuma had some great shops and street vendors. The sunrise and sunset views are breathtaking and waking up to the sounds of the rainforest both surreal and magical. I highly recommend Anamaya to anyone looking for a retreat experience or top notch lodging in Costa Rica.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Dundas Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

My stay at Anamaya was the most refreshing vacation of my life. My stay was for two weeks.
The staff are amazing. Very accommodating,warm and nurturing. I was treated like family and felt I was at home. They are familiar with the area and know how to get you what and where you want with ease.
I awoke each morning for an hour of yoga on the most beautiful yoga deck with a panoramic view of the jungle and the Pacific. The rest of my days were filled with a swim in the infinity pool,zip lining,waterfall climbing, aerial silks, Zumba and surfing ( my fave) with Montezuma Surf.
You can do of all those activities or nothing at all.This is also a wonderful place to just chill, read, swim and catch a few rays.
If you are considering travel to Costa Rica check Anamaya out. The pictures do not do it justice. You cannot smell or feel the amazing vibe it has.
I have booked a return trip to Anamaya in a few months. So fortunate to have stumbled upon this treasure in paradise.

Room Tip: All the rooms have their own charm. I love the woods used in the cabinas The only accommodation I wo...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center? Share your experiences!