“Anamaya Bliss” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center
Save Saved
You added Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center to your Saves list
300 mts NE of Mariposario, Montezuma 00001, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Las Vegas
“Anamaya Bliss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I had a spectacular experience at Anamaya! The property is stunning, my room was beautiful with great views, the yoga was awesome and the food was fresh and delicious. The staff was helpful and friendly and the town of Montezuma had some great shops and street vendors. The sunrise and sunset views are breathtaking and waking up to the sounds of the rainforest both surreal and magical. I highly recommend Anamaya to anyone looking for a retreat experience or top notch lodging in Costa Rica.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Dundas Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

My stay at Anamaya was the most refreshing vacation of my life. My stay was for two weeks.
The staff are amazing. Very accommodating,warm and nurturing. I was treated like family and felt I was at home. They are familiar with the area and know how to get you what and where you want with ease.
I awoke each morning for an hour of yoga on the most beautiful yoga deck with a panoramic view of the jungle and the Pacific. The rest of my days were filled with a swim in the infinity pool,zip lining,waterfall climbing, aerial silks, Zumba and surfing ( my fave) with Montezuma Surf.
You can do of all those activities or nothing at all.This is also a wonderful place to just chill, read, swim and catch a few rays.
If you are considering travel to Costa Rica check Anamaya out. The pictures do not do it justice. You cannot smell or feel the amazing vibe it has.
I have booked a return trip to Anamaya in a few months. So fortunate to have stumbled upon this treasure in paradise.

Room Tip: All the rooms have their own charm. I love the woods used in the cabinas The only accommodation I wo...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Anamaya in March 2012. We arrive early on Saturday morning and immediately changed into our bathing suits and enjoyed the infinity pool until lunchtime. The very first bite of my chicken burrito let me know that I was in for a week of amazing, fresh, local food.

We stayed in the Prana cabana which is just steps away from the main house. This beautiful cabana has more than enough room for two people to have a comfortable stay. There's plenty of storage space for your things and the bathroom was spacious and clean. As there were no yoga or surf activities on the first day, we decided to walk down into Montezuma to check things out. The walked down the hillside is intense. Those hills are very,very steep! The town was cute but there really isn't much to it. There are taxis available to take you back up the hill for six US dollars but we decided to get some exercise and walked it. It's great exercise!

Each morning there was a yoga class and we had two different instructors for that class throughout the week. Doing early morning yoga on the deck that overlooks the beautiful Pacific Ocean is something I'll never forget. My mind definitely wandered all that more than it should during yoga as I took the amazing views. The pictures on the website do not do it justice. It's even more beautiful in person. One thing to note is that the sunshine and heat was very intense even that early in the morning. Many people in our class preferred the back row in order to have a shady spot in which to practice.

As previously mentioned breakfast and lunch are both served buffet style. I loved having a fresh salad along with my eggs and breakfast burritos and I've been trying to re-create the great coffee with cane sugar and coconut milk ever since I got home. Since breakfast is served after yoga they put out coffee and fruit prior to the yoga class. My only "complaint" is that coffee was not put out early enough for my liking as I woke up to watch the sunrise every morning.

We signed up for yoga surf retreat. Surf lessons were handled by a local outfit called Young Vision Surf School. Please check out more details regarding that surf school. Can be found on tripadvisor.com. The boys teaching our class were professional, friendly, and all-around amazing!

After surfing we had a few hours before dinner. The infinity pool and the lounge deck are a great place to hang around and get to know your fellow retreaters. We were very lucky and people who started the week as strangers quickly became our friends. We had many a laugh while sitting around the pool. On a few of the days there was an evening restorative yoga class taught by Mandy. Without question everyone who took one of these classes walked away feeling relaxed and refreshed. It was almost as good as having a massage.

Breakfast and lunch for both delicious day, dinner was always a truly spectacular experience. The food was fresh, healthy, and totally delicious. There was a carrot cake with chocolate sauce that was literally the best cake I've ever had in my entire life. I'm still thinking about it weeks later. My only real complaint regarding the food service is that the only included drinks are water, coffee, and hot tea. Other drinks are available for purchase, including beer and wine. On one of our trips into Montezuma we purchased juice, beer, and wine as it's much cheaper to buy it there. There is a refrigerator available for guest use in the main house.

We were overall very pleased with our stay. The folks at Anamaya helped us with transportation to and from San Jose. We encountered no issues and had a great time sipping beers on the ferry. Our shuttle bus drivers for professional and safe.

Looking for a fun and relaxing vacation and our week at Anamaya delivered. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Prana cabana is lovely.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

My friends and I just returned from a week long yoga retreat at Anamaya and I have had a difficult time finding words to describe how amazing the entire trip was!!! Not only did our retreat to Anamaya allow us to escape the stresses our daily lives (if only for a few days), but the memories with the new friends we made, the staff at Anamaya and the people of Costa Rica will remain with me forever. The yoga was amazing (thank you Anne!), and the views were breathtaking...Last but not least, the food. The food was unbelievably fresh and good, and I have missed putting coconut milk in my coffee ever since! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Buffalo, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

Stayed at Anamaya during August 2011 for a one week Yoga & Adventure/Zumba retreat. It was beautiful and I'd definitely stay here again. Flew into San Jose and were told by Lia at Anamaya we wouldn't have enough time to catch flight to Tambo, although we would have. Waited several hours at the airport for a bus to ferry to Punta Arenas. That bus ride to the coast was one of the most terrifying adventures of my life. We were all convinced our bus driver was on a suicide mission and it was pouring rain to boot.
Bottom line: Lia the "reservations specialist" is a sweetheart but can be a ditz, you need to double check all travel arrangements made through the resort. It is not an easy place to get to but once you do, omg it is so worth it. We stayed in the Bali Cabina and it was stunningly beautiful. Too much to summarize so here are the big pluses and minuses:
Minus: For the prices they are charging, they can be just a little too laid back. You get the sense sometimes the staff is having way more fun that the guests and that you are an inconvenience to their chillaxin'. The casual atmosphere is fantastic but since people arrive different days of the week you can feel like a real outsider your first couple of days. Not all of their yoga teachers are up to par. The in-house teachers are great (Mandy, and the blonde who was pregnant at the time (Natalie?), wow) are outstanding. More modifications need to be given for beginners & various levels of issues like bad knees, etc. , it felt like little bit of an ego driven class at times. Also, dinner should be self serve family/buffet style like breakfast & lunch are. It was terrible to see food wasted with people who weren't hungry but were still served full plate of food. Need to concertedly accommodate non-seafood eaters with better protein options other than just the same vegetarian meals w/o protein, it's not like the price of the meal is being discounted. Overall food quality was very good and it's a great place to open your taste buds to new fresh local options, the cooks are wonderful.
Plusses:
Setting is STUNNING, there is not a bad cabin to stay in. Truly private and quiet. Staff works hard to make sure you are having a nice time. They are truly accommodating. Overall the plusses far outweigh the minuses and I'd stay here again in a heartbeat. Enjoy yourself at Anamaya!!

Room Tip: Bali Cabina overlooks ocean, Jungle Cabina is green paradise and quiet
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

From the moment we arrived we were treated like family. We arrived quite early in the day, but we were told where we could change for using the infinity pool and outside spa. We were offered something to eat; and we were even offered a choice of various available accommodations. The room we ended up choosing was the Jungle Room. With glass walls on three sides, we could lie in bed and look into the forest and watch monkeys frolicking in the trees. The outdoor shower was also a special and romantic treat. Our room was serviced early each day, while we were having breakfast. The food served was all very healthy and tasty. I left the table satisfied at each meal; and when I got home I hadn't gained a pound.

Be sure to check out the local Farmers Market on Saturday mornings in Montezuma, do the Montezuma Canopy Tour, and check out the local beaches. Great food at Ylang Ylang Restaurant right on the beach.

Room Tip: Really enjoyed the Jungle Room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

I travel to costa rica every year, at least once. Costa Rica has gorgeous beaches, mountains, people and energy. There are a few stinkers here and there, but overall, you really can't go wrong. We just returned from a week long retreat at Anamaya and loved it. The views from the pool and yoga platform are incredible. We enjoyed the monkeys, birds, sunrises and gardens. The location in montezuma is prime, although not on the beach. You will see miles of coast line and endless bue seas from you porch. I loved the food....but i am part rabbit and love vegie meals. We also had some great sea food meals. Breakfast was awesome...and that costa rican coffee can't be beat. Anamaya serves it with coconut milk.
The Staff at anamaya are great. The on site office folks really worked hard to please us...not easy. We suggest the private boat to isle de tortuga, hiking to the falls, going on the beach, bakery and cemetary island tour - visit the marmalade lady! You will love Montezuma and Anamaya.

Room Tip: everything except the temple and the casita was awesome - a few flairs could make those rooms better...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center? Share your experiences!