“Best week of my life!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center
You added Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center to your Saves list
300 mts NE of Mariposario, Montezuma 00001, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Montezuma
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Best week of my life!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

Words and pictures can't begin to describe what an amazing overall experience this vacation was! I travelled with a friend of mine, but many other vacationers at the resort were travelling solo. Within about 24 hours all 18 of us, from Canada the US and Brazil, all felt as though we were travelling together! I am typically a lazy traveller, I enjoy spending my days laying in the sun and frolicking in the pool or ocean. Anamaya had a schedule ready, but it was all really 'suggestions', you could do what you wanted. So if you wanted to laze around by the pool all day and sleep in the many nap spots that were around, you could. If you wanted to remain busy all day with excursions and adventures, you could. If you wanted a bit of both, that was also an option. The resort let you pick how busy you wanted to be.

FOOD:
The food was amazing! If you are a picky eater though, this may not be the place for you. Breakfast and lunch are buffet style, but not buffet like at an all-inclusive, the buffet consisted of a few options. Dinner was a three course meal. So if you aren't an adventurous eater then you may not enjoy the food as much as I did-not to say that you'll be eating crazy weird stuff, but you don't get much choice. They were great at catering to any allergies or food preferences, two of the guests were gluten-free and the cooks made sure that every meal was either gluten-free or had a gluten-free option. The meals were insanely flavourful and all of us couldn't get over how great the food was! We suggested that they sell cookbooks with their recipes in them on site-we all would've bought one!

ACCOMODATIONS:
Beauty! Clean, cute little cabanas (I think that's what you'd call them). The grounds themselves were gorgeous! Spread out but close enough, all the cabanas had some sort of foliage around them so they were slightly private. The view is to die for-yoga will never be the same again, my studio at home can't beat that view! Of course there were insects and geckos-can't really avoid these things since you are in the middle of a jungle and all! But remember-where there are geckos there are less bugs!

YOGA:
Leah taught our morning classes and I enjoyed them so much I wanted to pack her little body in my suitcase and bring her home with me! I wouldn't say that I'm a hardcore yogi, I'd categorize myself as intermediate I practice a couple times a week. Her instruction was perfect, we never felt lost or confused. The classes were challanging but not impossible, they flowed well. She was really great at observing the class and gearing it towards all of our capabilities. Mandy taught our evening workshops and she was also a great instructor! I learned alot from her workshops, some stuff I had never had a chance to learn about before.

EXCURSIONS:
We booked the yoga/adventure retreat-we assumed that it covered all our adventures, but it turns out that one excursion is covered in the cost of the retreat and any others you pay extra for. There were also many other excursions that were free; waterfall hike, river and bakery tour, town and beach excursion. I did the Tortuga Island snorkelling tour and the horseback riding on the beach (paid for one) then for the free tours I did the river and bakery tour and the town and beach. I enjoyed them all! They were a great way to see some of the area. On the Thursday night we headed into the town (Montezuma) for their reggae night and got to do some dancing and see some locals put on a fire dancing show in the street.

THE POOL:
You've seen it on the website and it really is that amazing. Take a dip at night and check out the stars-loved it!

THE STAFF:
Friendly, helpful, courteous. No complaints with any of them!

COST:
This trip cost quite a bit but it was totally worth every penny. I would not say that it was overpriced at all!

If you are looking to hang out in paradise for a week, maybe do some yoga, eat some good food and have a little fun or relaxation-this place is perfect!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank 13travel_bug

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

I just got back from a week-long stay at Anamaya. I had high expectations going in because of the rave reviews I had read and the week exceeded them. Everything from the staff and programming to the food and facilities was wonderful. I highly recommend Anamaya. As a bonus, I caught a wave or two!

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Travelhappy1111
Groton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

My husband and I stayed here in March of 2011 and although this review is late; the trip and experience at Anamaya is not forgotten. We were blown away by all that Anamaya has to offer. We had the Bali room and loved it! The views are spectacular from almost everywhere at Ananmaya and the view from our room was no exception. You could literally lay on the bed and see the ocean from there. We're not early morning people but we got up a number of times for the beautiful sunrise from the porch off of our room. And the room was clean and the bed quite comfortable.

I have diet restrictions (gluten free) and the team of chefs completely took care of me - truly gluten free gourmet!!! When we were making plans to go to Costa Rica and found Anamaya we thought we might eat out a couple of nights in Montezuma. Well, after the first dinner at Anamaya we knew we didn't want to eat anywhere else. Every evening we looked forward to dinner. The staff even packed a lunch for us when we couldn't be there. One night we got to eat dinner with the staff which we really enjoyed.

The staff here are very sweet and helpful. They arranged every activity for us which made it all so easy for us. We've done a lot of "do it it yourself" traveling, which has it's own attractions, but this trip was for my 50th birthday and I wanted to be pampered. Each time we came back from an activity the staff really wanted to know how our day was, it was genuine interest. We each got a couple of massages from both of the practitioners and we loved that, too. One of my massages was done in my room. How wonderful! One day we just stayed at Anamaya for the day - we figured why should we leave the place with such a wonderful view?

Overall I would rate this place as really excellent ad I do hope we get to come back.

Room Tip: The Bali room is quite close to everything, but as soon as you pull the romantic red curtains it bec...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Vel122
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

I feel so healthy and well taken care of after my stay at Anamaya. I wish I never had to leave! Amazing, healthy food - great rooms, great company with other guests and lots of activity. It's really a perfect getaway for the active and health conscious!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Duncan, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

I also attended the Sept 2011 YTT. It was a phenomenal program, unlike anything I can describe here. I highly recommend Anamaya, the staff are amazing, Jackie Chiodo is an incredible Yoga teacher. The physical place is even more beautiful then the pictures allow and the food is to die for! Well worth it!

Room Tip: Although the Master Suite is absolutely beautiful with probably the most amazing view you will ever...
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank MaraLea
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

I just got back from a month at Anamaya and it was beyond my expectations (and I had pretty high expectations). Didn't think it was possible but the view from that infinity pool and the yoga deck was well beyond what anyone has been able to capture in photos. I've been completely spoiled now... the yoga classes had monkeys playing a few feet away in the trees, colourful humming birds and butterflies zipping around and whales splashing around in the ocean view.

Food - also amazing! I've tried to go gluten, wheat and dairy free before but I've never made it past a few weeks. The chef at Anamaya makes healthy food that's so tasty you don't feel like you’re missing out. Some of my favourites were the pancakes, cupcakes, all the yuka dishes, and all the fresh fish. Now that I'm back home I'm craving the food from Anamaya... please make a cookbook and share a few of the secrets!!!

What else can I say... it was rainy season when I was there. That meant the mornings and afternoons were usually sunny and then there were some night storms, but the weather was always warm. One great morning I woke up just before the sunrise to see the clearest stars overhead, the coolest thunderstorm across the water and then added the gorgeous sunrise to the mix.

If anyone is thinking about doing the month long teacher training I would recommend it. I loved that I was able to get the knowledge and growth I was looking for in my yoga and meditation practice, get a great jump start to my healthy eating plan, but also peppered in fun nights of salsa dancing, waterfall hikes, zip lining, and beach time.

Room Tip: I explored all the rooms and my favourite is The Jungle room. It feels like you are living on top of...
6 Thank hiyahVancouver
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

I just got back from the September 2011 Yoga Teacher Training at Anamaya Resort. The staff and crew at Anamaya really make up your family while you are gone and are so accommodating. The food is incredible, the rooms are clean, the yoga training was awesome! The best part is that no photo can actually capture how beautiful this place is! You will have to go see for yourself!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Temple, but of all the rooms I saw, the Bali Room and Jungle rooms were the most bea...
3 Thank ShuksterWPG
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montezuma
Kalapiti Luxury Jungle Suites
Hotel Celaje
Hotel Celaje
#1 of 2 in Cabuya
4.0 of 5 stars 145 reviews

Been to Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center? Share your experiences!