“Breathtaking Views - Gourmet Food! - Great Staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center
300 mts NE of Mariposario, Montezuma 00001, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 19 hotels in Montezuma
Groton, Massachusetts
“Breathtaking Views - Gourmet Food! - Great Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

My husband and I stayed here in March of 2011 and although this review is late; the trip and experience at Anamaya is not forgotten. We were blown away by all that Anamaya has to offer. We had the Bali room and loved it! The views are spectacular from almost everywhere at Ananmaya and the view from our room was no exception. You could literally lay on the bed and see the ocean from there. We're not early morning people but we got up a number of times for the beautiful sunrise from the porch off of our room. And the room was clean and the bed quite comfortable.

I have diet restrictions (gluten free) and the team of chefs completely took care of me - truly gluten free gourmet!!! When we were making plans to go to Costa Rica and found Anamaya we thought we might eat out a couple of nights in Montezuma. Well, after the first dinner at Anamaya we knew we didn't want to eat anywhere else. Every evening we looked forward to dinner. The staff even packed a lunch for us when we couldn't be there. One night we got to eat dinner with the staff which we really enjoyed.

The staff here are very sweet and helpful. They arranged every activity for us which made it all so easy for us. We've done a lot of "do it it yourself" traveling, which has it's own attractions, but this trip was for my 50th birthday and I wanted to be pampered. Each time we came back from an activity the staff really wanted to know how our day was, it was genuine interest. We each got a couple of massages from both of the practitioners and we loved that, too. One of my massages was done in my room. How wonderful! One day we just stayed at Anamaya for the day - we figured why should we leave the place with such a wonderful view?

Overall I would rate this place as really excellent ad I do hope we get to come back.

Room Tip: The Bali room is quite close to everything, but as soon as you pull the romantic red curtains it bec...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

131 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

I feel so healthy and well taken care of after my stay at Anamaya. I wish I never had to leave! Amazing, healthy food - great rooms, great company with other guests and lots of activity. It's really a perfect getaway for the active and health conscious!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Duncan, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

I also attended the Sept 2011 YTT. It was a phenomenal program, unlike anything I can describe here. I highly recommend Anamaya, the staff are amazing, Jackie Chiodo is an incredible Yoga teacher. The physical place is even more beautiful then the pictures allow and the food is to die for! Well worth it!

Room Tip: Although the Master Suite is absolutely beautiful with probably the most amazing view you will ever...
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

I just got back from a month at Anamaya and it was beyond my expectations (and I had pretty high expectations). Didn't think it was possible but the view from that infinity pool and the yoga deck was well beyond what anyone has been able to capture in photos. I've been completely spoiled now... the yoga classes had monkeys playing a few feet away in the trees, colourful humming birds and butterflies zipping around and whales splashing around in the ocean view.

Food - also amazing! I've tried to go gluten, wheat and dairy free before but I've never made it past a few weeks. The chef at Anamaya makes healthy food that's so tasty you don't feel like you’re missing out. Some of my favourites were the pancakes, cupcakes, all the yuka dishes, and all the fresh fish. Now that I'm back home I'm craving the food from Anamaya... please make a cookbook and share a few of the secrets!!!

What else can I say... it was rainy season when I was there. That meant the mornings and afternoons were usually sunny and then there were some night storms, but the weather was always warm. One great morning I woke up just before the sunrise to see the clearest stars overhead, the coolest thunderstorm across the water and then added the gorgeous sunrise to the mix.

If anyone is thinking about doing the month long teacher training I would recommend it. I loved that I was able to get the knowledge and growth I was looking for in my yoga and meditation practice, get a great jump start to my healthy eating plan, but also peppered in fun nights of salsa dancing, waterfall hikes, zip lining, and beach time.

Room Tip: I explored all the rooms and my favourite is The Jungle room. It feels like you are living on top of...
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

I just got back from the September 2011 Yoga Teacher Training at Anamaya Resort. The staff and crew at Anamaya really make up your family while you are gone and are so accommodating. The food is incredible, the rooms are clean, the yoga training was awesome! The best part is that no photo can actually capture how beautiful this place is! You will have to go see for yourself!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Temple, but of all the rooms I saw, the Bali Room and Jungle rooms were the most bea...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011 via mobile

I spent a week in Anamaya for a yoga retreat in March 2011 and had an amazing experience! The staff are incredibly friendly and accommodating, there are beautiful views from the hotel, and the food is just delicious! I look forward to coming back again soon!

• Stayed March 2011
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

My friend and I took part in a one week yoga retreat at Anamaya at the end of August, and I must say that it was a vacation I will never forget. Photographs do not do this place justice. The resort itself is spectacular, improved upon only by its friendly atmosphere and fabulous staff. From the moment we were greeted on the front step, we couldn't have felt more at home. Our accommodations (we stayed in the master suite) were comfortable and spacious, with a spectacular ocean view. The food was amazing, and as others have said, it often felt like sitting down to a meal with a group of close friends. I feel lucky to have discovered such a special place, and I hope to get the opportunity to go back again someday.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Anamaya Resort & Retreat Center? Share your experiences!