“A trip I will never forget!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 18 activities in Montezuma
Type: Other
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Combine Spanish, surfing, yoga, fire dancing and scuba certification in any combination for 1-12 weeks in Montezuma, Costa Rica. Programs include accommodations, zip line canopy tours, horseback riding, waterfall hikes, bonfires and a whole lot of fun.
Boston, Massachusetts
“A trip I will never forget!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

The week long poi and staff retreat I took at LED with Skritanta Barefoot was one of the best holidays I have ever had!! Both the fire dancing and yoga instruction we had was second to none - the week was both fun packed and super relaxing!! I met a wonderful bunch of people and have come home a happier and hopefully more skilled fire performer!! I can not wait to sign up for next years retreat - as this was a trip I will never forget!! Many thanks to Srikanta, Banyan and Jeremy for putting together a great week of activities in such a beautiful place..I will be coming for 2 weeks next time!

Visited March 2013

London, United Kingdom
“The perfect place to relax or to or energise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

It's over a month since I left and the feeling of calm and relaxation are still with me. Montezuma is amazing; from the paradise-like beach and forests, to the wonderful people, the amazing local produce and the surprising variety of restaurants and bars. And the Escuela is a perfect place to enjoy it all from. I stayed two weeks and took Yoga and Spanish both weeks. The schedule was well organised to allow the surfers to follow the tides, keep yoga later in the evening when it was (a little!) cooler, and Spanish and Poi fit around them. All my teachers, Andrea, Wendy, Silvia and Dagmar were all truly inspirational and fun to work with. Jeremy and the other hotel staff were very accomodating, they did everything they could to ensure the best visit for each guest. If you end up unhappy with anything about the place or your scehdule, don't live with it and then have a moan on trip advisor afterwards; speak to them and they will do whatever they can to improve things. The place is kept very clean and changes of towels and sheets were regular which is a bonus given I was there at the end fo the dry season when water was short.
The only negative comment I would have at all is about the kitchen facilities/eating arrangments. Montezuma is sadly not very cheap to eat out in, especially if you are traveling on US Dollars/ British Pountds and expecting your money in Costa Rica to go a lot further. In some of the restaurants I found I was paying the same equivalent in dollars as London prices! So the alternative is to cater for yourself in the Hotel, which is rather under equipped. There is plenty of crockery, fry pans and cups, but unfortunately while I was there two of the four cooking rings were not working, and for the number of people there in my first week, four hobs wouldn't have been enough in the first place. It made it very tricky to cook, and since the fridge was running badly (they got it fixed after we complained) a lot of people had food that went off overnight due to the extreme temperatures. They could also do with a few more saucepans and a lot more bowls. Is a small thing but when most people want to cereal or fruit for breakfast it's suprisingly important thing to only have three bowls.
However, this is really the only comment, and if you are happy to think carefully about what you're making to eat, or have the money to eat out, it's no big deal. Overall the place was comfortable and welcoming, the team inspiring and the classes incredible. I would go back any day and hope that one day I actually can!!

Visited February 2013
LEDSMontezuma, Owner at La Escuela Del Sol, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Hey Jane,

I'm glad you had such a great time. It was fun to have you around!

It's funny that you say "If you end up unhappy with anything about the place or your scehdule, don't live with it and then have a moan on trip advisor afterwards; speak to them and they will do whatever they can to improve things"

I wish you did! :)

We've made some improvements to the kitchen which may have made you happier before you left.

1. We added another stove top with 3 more gas burners (5 total) as well as fixed the two electric ones that weren't working properly.
2. We added 20 more bowls, 20 more coffee mugs, 20 more glasses and lots more silverware.
3. The fridge is in top shape after a quick adjustment (it's only 1.5 years old).
4. By my count we have 4 saucepans in the cabinet but I'm looking to add another large one, since maybe that's what you meant? They were out when I went shopping for one last week but we'll get it soon.

Also, if you had mentioned it, I could have pointed to you to several restaurants where meals cost between $5-$10. Decent economical options to the fancy restaurants in town.

Hope to see you again soon!

-Jeremy
San Jose
“Had the best time ever..!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I spend the most intense two weeks in this awesome place, had fun, dance, learn how to surf and fire dance too, the people there is just amazing and the best of all REAL, I felt like family between them, Andrea is so willing to make you feel at home and Jer is a great fire dance adviser, he is always trying to make you feel comfortable at La Escuela Del Sol.. Loved the place, definitely going back...!!!! I must recommend...!!!

Visited January 2013
Greenville, North Carolina, United States
“The true meaning of 'Pura Vida'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

What an amazing vacation. Even at my young age of 19 I have been to many destinations including New Zealand, France and many places in the Carribean and by far, my week long trip to La Escuela del Sol in Montezuma tops my list. Everyone who works for LEDS is genuine and committed to giving each guest the best Costa Rican experience possible.

Me and my family took classes in poi and within hours we were performing moves we never thought we would have learned! We also did the 'Surf Safari' and traveled around every day to some of the most beautiful surf spots I have ever laid eyes on.

The whole scene in Montezuma is just perfect. Everything is within walking distance and everyone you pass greets you with a smiley "hola". If I could go back to Montezuma today I would not hesitate to stay at LEDS... easily the best place in Montezuma!

Pura Vida

Visited March 2013
Whistler, Canada
“living the dream”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

What a phenomenal way to spend a vacation! There is something for everyone; whether you're looking for a time to chill and enjoy a hammock or if you're looking to ride waves and flex your brain with learning a new language La Escuela Del Sol has got you covered!

Visited May 2012