“living the dream” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 18 Activities in Montezuma
Type: Other
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Combine Spanish, surfing, yoga, fire dancing and scuba certification in any combination for 1-12 weeks in Montezuma, Costa Rica. Programs include accommodations, zip line canopy tours, horseback riding, waterfall hikes, bonfires and a whole lot of fun.
Whistler, Canada
“living the dream”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

What a phenomenal way to spend a vacation! There is something for everyone; whether you're looking for a time to chill and enjoy a hammock or if you're looking to ride waves and flex your brain with learning a new language La Escuela Del Sol has got you covered!

Visited May 2012

“Super friendly staff and beautiful location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

I had a great time at La Escuela del Sol. It is a great location and everyone there is super sweet, very helpful, and fun.

London, United Kingdom
“Memorable times”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I originally booked for one week on the surfing and yoga course but loved Montezuma so extended my time there for a few additional days and then returned a week later. The courses were great, with instructors for both being really friendly and helpful. I was doing the course over Christmas Day and Blue (one of the surf instructors) cooked the group Christmas dinner on the beach. Montezuma itself is so relaxed and easy going you won't ever want to leave - I found my patch of paradise in the world.

Visited December 2012
Jersey, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Time of my life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Despite hearing about how empty it was at that time of year (October), it turned out to be the perfect time to visit Montezuma as there was just the right amount of tourists before the high season kicked in (though I think we were completely lucky not to have any rain!). The town was adorable and super chilled out, the beaches were beautiful and the people so friendly. What was supposed to be a two week stay at the school ended up being a month, and even after that I was reluctant to leave!

The week of Spanish lessons were so useful, and the teacher Wendy was amazing; the smiliest teacher I've ever had! She gave a great base and easy grasp of the language and I wish I'd taken more lessons, though three courses at once would have been too intense! (Next time!)

The whole aim of the trip was to hone my surfing skills, and I went from playing about in white water to surfing the proper large waves at nearby Santa Teresa. Although the walk to Playa Grande was longer than expected (half an hour), it was a pretty good warm up and took us to a beautiful secluded surf break. The teachers Blue and Pablo were fun, although a few of us may have benefited more from less beginner lessons as sometimes we found ourselves fending for ourselves at the back without instruction as the beginners were taught in the white water. This wasn't always the case as sometimes I even got a private session in the larger waves, which you'd usually pay a fortune for! All in all it was great fun and everyone seemed to have progressed really well, the vibe was usually great and the equipment (boards, wax etc) were excellent (though the van a little rickety!).

Last but not least poi. I didn't expect to learn much in a week but I ended up staying extra long especially so I could perform in the fire show! The reason behind this inspiration was Eli - the local fire spinning/juggling/sticking pro! He was so talented and we had great fun in our small classes. It was so addictive, and the final night performing in the fire show topped off a really special stay.

The main draw to the school has got to be the people - I have made so many friends for life here, including a few who I travelled with afterwards or intend to in the future! There were so many inspirational and lovely people, including the staff at the hotel itself.

Escuela del Sol was an awesome experience, I'd highly recommend it to anyone. Though the price was initially out of my range, it was worth it for the personal teaching approach and great atmosphere, and made a nice change from hostel dorms. It's also perfect for solo travellers, especially those who are a little apprehensive about travelling on their own. The kitchen perhaps could have had better utensils, but it was still usable and the living area was clean and relaxing. The rooms also had A/C (lovely), bathrooms and lockers, and I was lucky enough to have a brilliant room mate.

Make sure to dance at Chico's bar and check out the live music at Organico, nearby waterfalls and the weekly fire show. Hasta Luego, Pura vida :)

Visited October 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“loved the scuba and poi, surf was disappointing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

In general a positive experience. I came for 3 weeks and ended up staying 4 because poi was so much fun.

The staff is lovely, the place is safe and clean. Showers are warm, the common area is relaxed. The kitchen could definitally use some extra pots and pans tho, and 2,5 firepits to cook is just really not enough for such an amount of people. I also thought closing the kitchen for yoga in prime cooking time was a bit annoying, but you get used to it. We had a leak in our room and so we got upgraded to this beautiful room, which was cool.

I did the 2 weeks scubacourse, which was fantastic. Miguel and David take great care that you feel comfortable in the water, and they are both just such lovely people. I would reckomend the diving to everyone. You have all the time to feel good in the water, a lot of explanation and interesting stories and good materials. I cant really compare coz this was my first divecourse, but i loved it and felt really safe.

I also did 2 weeks of poi, which was really fun. I think i got a bit addicted to it.The weekly fireshow was inspiring and a great mitivation for the participants. every chance i get i get my socks out :-)

However, the surf (the main reason for my stay at LED) was super disappointing. I did it for 3 weeks; as a 'beginner+' i didnt get any instructions the first week, the second week i was told to lean a bit more backward on my board to prevent nosediving and the last week i was told to lean forward to make more speed. And that was it. I have been out on my own 99% of the time and it left me frustrated and angry. And when it was clear i wasnt enjoying myself, instead of teaching me, the instructor only started to nag i should smile more. At a certain point i just surfed completely by myself, coz one instructor did the beginnergroup and the other one was constantly with another girl ...this has been the worst surfcamp i have been to, and i have been to about 7, so i can compare. Maybe it is fine for beginhers, but if you want to learn a bit more, go some other place.

But, besides the surf, i can say its a nice place to learn new things, meet new people and chill out a bit.

Visited November 2012
LEDSMontezuma, Owner at La Escuela Del Sol, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Hey Ooooooooooy,

Thanks for your review. Glad you loved the poi and scuba and so glad you decided to stay longer than your intended program! That's always a good sign. :)

I'm also sorry to hear about that your surfing class didn't meet your expectations. Speaking with our surf instructors, I'm told that from the very start there was a bit of friction when they would instruct you on form and timing and other things, and that you tended to swim away from the group and wouldn't come back when called upon. I guess that explains a bit of what may have happened, but it doesn't mean it's okay.

I always tell people to come to me if there is any problem big or small so we can try to correct it while you're here. These things are almost always fixable if you speak up and you'll find that we can make you much happier (which is our goal) during your stay.

Since you loved poi and scuba so much, if you come back for another stint, we'll be happy to extend you some free surf or yoga classes. We'll work something special out for you. Just let us know.

Pura vida!!