“Magical” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 18 Activities in Montezuma
Type: Other
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Combine Spanish, surfing, yoga, fire dancing and scuba certification in any combination for 1-12 weeks in Montezuma, Costa Rica. Programs include accommodations, zip line canopy tours, horseback riding, waterfall hikes, bonfires and a whole lot of fun.
Rolette, North Dakota
3 attraction reviews
“Magical”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I was on LEDS adventure last year and must go back. I spent 2 weeks; took surfing, Spanish and poi lessons and had a blast. I traveled alone and I enjoyed the diverse group with whom I shared the adventure. I made some great friends. The views, the locals, the atmosphere, the lessons, the instructors, party Thursday... I can go on and on, but I would never be able to effectively describe the magical feel of the place. Go, just go, so you too can know the magic.

Visited January 2012

Westwood Los Angeles County, California
“AWESOME experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Spent 3 weeks at La Escuela del Sol during my 1 year sabbatical and can say that this was my favorite experience out of an already incredible year. The Escuela attracts very cool people from all over the world and of all ages and professions; as I was travelling by myself I really enjoyed having a fun gang to share it all with and have kept some of the friendships made there. I love yoga and have practiced for many years and La Escuela has world class teachers who do an amazing job challenging everyone in class no matter what level they are at. Also got scuba certified with the Escuela and really felt I got the best possible experience anywhere in the scuba world. Michele and David are real pros and gave me a five star experience. I felt so safe and validated, and had so much fun - really recommend it. Also took surfing classes and had an amazing time. The teachers are really experienced and super focused on safety - so if that is at all a concern for you, I guarantee you have nothing to worry about. Learning to surf in Montezuma is also a really rewarding experience because waves are kind enough to the beginner surfer that you can ride your first waves even in your first day. Last but not least took poi classes and LOVED it. Eli is just out of this world and you will enjoy learning from the best.
When you are not busy with classes you can hike, hang out at the beach, go to the many waterfalls or eat at one of the delicious restaurantes in town (my favorite being Cocolores). Reading at the hammock right before yoga was a must for my delightful afternoons. I just can't say enought good things about La Escuela. Highly recommend it and think it would be almost impossible to have a bad time while hanging out there.

Visited July 2012
New York, United States
“Already returning to Montezuma!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

A friend and I made the somewhat spontaneous decision to attend LEDS based solely on internet research and the reviews from other students here on tripadvisor. We had no idea what we were getting into, but it turned out to be one of the best choices either of us ever made! We stayed for 4 weeks, and could have easily stayed another 4!

Montezuma itself is a beautiful, peaceful and laid back town (with drinks and dancing nightly as well!), full of warm and welcoming people - Locals and travelers alike. El Tajalin, the hotel where LEDS is located, was very clean and secure. The open-air upper level with hammocks is the perfect gathering place for the new friends you will inevitably make, or a place to relax, rest and study on your own.

No matter how amazing a place is, however, it is the people you meet there that really make the experience. I can not say enough about the friends I got to know at LEDS. I was surprised to find that I really didn't encounter Jeremy or talk with him at all in the month that I was there. He was very helpful via email, but I expected him to do more with the students as well. Aside from that, the hotel staff members were extremely friendly and helpful, always ready to help set up an excursion, answer questions, or just relax and chat. Between the two of us, my friend and I took surf, poi, yoga and Spanish. I found all of our teachers to be not only patient & competent instructors, but wonderful people as well. I could not have hand-picked a better crew. It is easy to see that Wendy, Eli and everyone else genuinely care about each of their students. Every day, I did as much laughing as learning! However, the man that deserves the most thanks and the biggest round of applause is Pablo. I guess his official job title is surf instructor and "General Manager," but he is so much more than that! Pablo's smiling face, along with his warm and relaxed energy made us all feel comfortable and welcome when we first met as a group. He was there every day with a laugh, an encouraging word, or a bit of his trademark Pablo wisdom. I did not take surf classes myself, but I was fortunate enough to watch him in action a few times anyway. As a fellow teacher, I can say he does a phenomenal job with that as well. He seems to do it all - always happy as long as his students are happy. Thank you Pablo! The LEDS experience would not have been the same without you!

The month I spent in Montezuma as a student at La Escuela del Sol was the most unique and adventurous, yet tranquil and enlightening experience of my life. I just bought my tickets to return to Montezuma in a few months!

Visited July 2012
San José, San Jose, Costa Rica
“Yes.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Nestled in the small beach and surf town of Montezuma, Costa Rica is La Escuela del Sol (LEDS). Prior to going to the Pacific Coast, I had spent a month in San Jose, perfecting my Spanish. I was greatly looking forward to taking more Spanish courses on the beach, while relaxing at the end of my trip. The hotel is in great condition and has all the amenities you could need. It's a block from everything, but you can say the same about everything in Montezuma. The walk to the hotel is spotted by Iguanas, crabs, nameless lizards and if you're lucky, maybe a monkey. The whole place is teeming with wildlife. Spanish was my main focus, but I also thought it would be fun to take surfing. While at LEDS, I discovered an unknown passion for surf and within two short weeks I was steering, catching every wave and realizing what I'm sure will be a life-long hobby. Pablo and Blue, my two surf instructors were amazing. They both have great perspectives and are patient while instructing. I couldn't believe that I was able to stand on the board on the first day. The staff is world class and I would recommend it to everyone. I went during the off-season, so I received a lot of individual attention. If you're looking for a social-group experience, go during the on-season. I'm already planning another vacation to Montezuma.

Visited October 2012
Austin, Texas
“One Stop in Paradise Shop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

La Escuela Del Sol, Jeremy, Guermo and Andrea were awesome! We only had one week in Costa Rica but we were able to pack the time with fun, adventurous activities thanks to La Escuella Del Sol. We learned how to surf from an amazing surf instructor (Guermo), we learned poi (fire spinning) from Andrea and Jeremy AND they scheduled a zip line tour for us as well. They took care of all the arrangements for us. If you are planning a trip to Costa Rica and want to: learn to surf, or learn how to scuba dive, or learn Spanish or learn how to spin fire (poi), do a zip line tour or all of the above, then you should contact La Escuela Del Sol. THEY ROCK!!!

Visited August 2012