“fun and instructive” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 18 activities in Montezuma
Type: Other
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Combine Spanish, surfing, yoga, fire dancing and scuba certification in any combination for 1-12 weeks in Montezuma, Costa Rica. Programs include accommodations, zip line canopy tours, horseback riding, waterfall hikes, bonfires and a whole lot of fun.
southampton
3 attraction reviews
“fun and instructive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

loved my class here, my instructor was very skilled in motivating conversation and getting reluctant studentd to actually use their spanish...mornings were gramatical lesson but the afternoons were spent on explorations of the natural beauty of the area ehile engaged in spanish conversations

Visited April 2012

David, Panama
“Great week with a lot of fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

I did a one week intermediate/advanced poi retreat with Escuela Del Sol and playpoi.

Our accomodations were elsewere than the normal accomodations, at Casitas Sol Levante - higher up the hill. It's a little walk from "downtown" (in the montezuma heat), but they offered a shuttle every day so it was easy to get groceries. Also, this place was in gorgeous surroundings with a fresh swimming pool. The little house we shared with two others was spotlessly clean and the kitchen had everything we needed to store and make our food.

The class scedule was perfect; one session in the morning and one in the afternoon (avoiding the hot midday). Classes were held outdoor under a sunshade. The two teachers we had were exellent at teaching, and it was a good teacher-to-student ratio. After one week I felt full of inspiration and new ideas to work on. I'm glad I decided to go for this retreat.

Also, from the contact I had with Jeremy, he is genuinely concerned with the students experience being the best. He is VERY service minded. When I asked for an oportunity to bring my boyfriend along, without hom doing the poi course, he managed to work it out so I could.

Visited February 2012
Toronto
“Great spot for solo travelers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

Although I was only at the school for 1 week, I met a handful of amazing people (travelers, locals and ex-pats) through my classes and at the hotel. As a solo traveler, it was really nice to find cool people with similar interests. The surf and yoga instructors were really down-to-earth and welcoming. The hotel staff went out of their way to help me arrange travel and tours. I instantly felt like I was part of a community. The week went by way too fast and I ended up extending my stay in Montezuma.

As for the amenities, the free wifi was great, the kitchen was well stocked and clean, the second floor hammock lounge is a perfect oasis on a hot day, enjoyed the warm showers and private bath. The hotel is a 3 minute walk to the beach, where I watched the sunrise every morning.

When I travel, it's the people that make the difference and I have to say... there were lots of good people at LEDS. Hope to go back next year!

Visited February 2012
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Amazing trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Loved loved loved our poi retreat in Costa Rica with La Escuela Del Sol. Jeremy made sure our stay easy and fun ... totally professional ... Highly recommended!

Visited January 2012
Brooklyn, New York, United States
“Good people, good times, good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

If you are looking for a truly literal immersion experience, this is the place to go. You not only get to learn the language (if you choose that course), but the culture of Costa Rica, which is without a doubt a unique thing. The teachers are fun, friendly, courteous, knowledgeable, patient and relaxed. They make you work hard without even noticing. You'll see them on the street later that night after classes and you can grab a beer with them. Very cool.
A couple things to know...the courses will leave you exhausted, and are not for the faint of adventure. Even when only taking two, especially surfing and Spanish, you will be exhausted, mentally and physically! A previously active lifestyle would help. There's lots of walking. Also, be prepared to have your habits and expectations tested. Don't overestimate how cautious you are about getting directions. Ticos have a very general way of giving them, and you should buy a very detailed map BEFORE you go. A GPS shouldn't be the last resort.
Oh yeah, and the new highway (Nueva Carretera) only travels East on Sundays. The Western-bound ramps are closed, and the two lanes travel the same direction. Would've been good to know!

Visited January 2012
LEDSMontezuma, Owner at La Escuela Del Sol, responded to this review, January 27, 2012
Hey Mike,

So glad you had a great immersion experience. Looks like you got a lot out of your Spanish classes especially! It was also cool to see you enjoy this vacation with your dad!

It's important to note that you guys didn't stay at the school but rather at another location farther away from town, so walking was a bigger part of your experience than for most most. Regardless, yes, surfing can be physically taxing and Spanish can be mentally taxing as well. It's for sure an active vacation depending on which courses you choose.

Some good travel advice, Mike. If you rent a car, a detailed map is NECESSARY. Better yet, traveling by car is not really recommended since there are great public transportation options from each international airport and we live in pretty small town where driving is not necessary.

Also, not to give the wrong idea, the highway travels in both directions every day of the week. When you came in, there was a big accident and part of the highway was closed down temporarily. All good now.

Hope to see you guys again sometime!

-Jeremy