“Blissful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Montezuma Heights

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montezuma
Montezuma Heights
calle Horizontes, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Blissful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We had an amazing stay at the Colibri cabin. Peter was a great host from the get-go. We arrived by shuttle and had plans to acquire a rental car the next day. Since we had no wheels, Peter offered to drive us down the hill to town (it is the most serious hill I've ever seen...no joke). We took him up on this and went down, had some delicious food at Cafe Organico, went for a swim, got groceries, and then took at taxi back up to the cabin.

Taxi rides up the hill are $10. We realized after we settled in, that it would be a huge pain to pick up our rental in Malpais. So, we made the decision to nix the rental and only take cabs. This decision, while requiring that you are organized and don't mind bringing stuff 'down' with you to town, saved us a bunch of money, as rental cars are crazy expensive in CR. We stayed for 3 nights and ended up taking 4 cabs (we walked down the hill once - it's tough, but a good adventure). So! It's totally possible, you just have to be flexible. The taxi drivers have cards that they'll give you, so you can call them when you need to be picked up.

As far as getting to the cabins, the map Peter provides is pretty cryptic. I showed it to our shuttle driver and he said, "I don't know", and that was that. My boyfriend then proceeded to explain the map to the driver and we did eventually make it. I recommend having Peter write out directions to you so that you can verbally explain to drivers where you're going.

The kitchen was fully equipped and we made ourselves a few good meals during our stay. There are a lot of little black ants everywhere, so don't leave ANY food out. The ants got in the bed and bit us at night, so that was not ideal, but not the end of the world. There was this demon-looking 3 legged bug that came out a couple times...but other than him, the ants, and the little lizards, it was not too 'rustic'. The shower is cold - so try to bathe when it's hot out! The bed/pillows aren't the most comfortable, but the views from the sleeping loft make up for it. I've never seen the stars look so bright as I did sleeping up there! One night I saw lightning far away out to sea, it was amazing.

This place is truly a gem. Peter built the two cabins and his home - he is truly a skilled craftsman. The sunrises, view, remoteness, quietness, and beautiful cabins and grounds make this place one of a kind. The doggies were a plus - at the time of our visit, Luna was 2.5 months old - so sweet!

Thanks to Peter for all of his help and for providing such a wonderful place to stay!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

28 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The walk down the handcrafted tile path to the Colibri cabin is something I will always remember. As the ocean's horizon comes into view, it is just magical. We made great use of the kitchen, Peter has almost anything you could need from what looked like a coffee/nut grinder to a crock pot. The refrigerator was a perfect size for our week-long stay. On the balcony, we couldn't get enough of just watching the small beach below (Playa Las Manchas), looking out for our iguana friend on the big tree and watching the various birds soar the sky from above. Like clockwork, you can count on the howler monkeys to echo across the trees around 6 am.

It certainly has it's rustic aspects as I'm pretty sure the cabin is hand built and therefore has some areas where it is open. This allows some things to get into the space. We had a slight problem with ants, but when we became more careful, they more or less went away. Leave all food in the refrigerator and sweep out your crumbs. Luckily, there are mosquito nets above both beds.

Something that took me by surprise is how no one wrote about how wild the road is to get here. In my opinion, a 4x4 is absolutely essential. When we first came up, I forgot to put the truck into 4 wheel drive and we gave ourselves a nice scare as my wheels slipped and slid to tryand haul us up the mountain. Of course, after a few trips it becomes a lot more reasonable and you get used to it. I even made the trip up in the dark. Once I got it into 4-low, I was no longer afraid.

The one thing I absolutely loved was the outdoor shower! I still miss being able to rinse off in the middle of nature with spectacular views. It is just so peaceful. I used the washer to do my clothes a few times and that was really convenient to have! The hammock is a nice touch and I spent some time just lying in it watching the stars at night. This is a great place to just get away from it all, which is exactly what we were looking to do. I loved how Peter came by a few times to make sure everything was swell, but was never intrusive. We had a great time, thanks!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lawrence, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stayed in colibri cabin for 4 weeks. The cabin is quaint and both patios offer breathtaking views, be it of the ocean and shoreline during the day or the stars at night. Very representative of the beauty of Costa Rica.

Peter and Rocio were friendly, welcoming, and accommodating. The kitchen is fully equipped for cooking and Peter and Rocio were happy to loan us anything we lacked, be it a bit of baking soda or a rolling pin. They were very helpful in recommending activities and restaurants. Peter regularly offered rides down to Montezuma or to Cobano, where there is a weekly market (feria) selling fresh fruits and vegetables at very affordable prices.

The walk down to Montezuma is about 30 mins and quite steep in places but is nice exercise and a small adventure in itself. Las Manchas beach, which is visible from the patio, is small, quiet, nice for swimming and a great reward for those that make the hike down. The series of 3 waterfalls are a bit closer and we walked to them several times. They are some of the prettiest I'v seen in Costa Rica.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Boca Raton, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

My husband and I spent 3 nights in the Calibri Cabin and it was just wonderful! Waking up every morning to such a perfect tranquil view was a great way to start each day! If you think the views are amazing from the balcony or terrace, when you're in the bedroom loft, they're even better! We loved having our morning coffee and afternoon beers out on the balcony or terrace... My husband especially enjoyed the view from the hammock! The Cabin was close to the waterfalls, town and even better nothing! It was the perfect spot for the R&R we were looking for! We will definitely go back! I would definitely recommend a 4x4 and suggest making sure you get there before sunset! Its much harder to find after dark... and the cell service in the area not so great for calling to ask for directions! But the neighbors are very nice and helpful!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012 via mobile

Mariposa was a perfect place to unwind! A small self contained cabin , a wonderful way to have the feeling of being at a cottage and away from it all. The patio overlooking the ocean was the perfect place to start and end each day. The cabin is situated away from town so it is best for someone with a car or as a romantic getaway for people who just want to escape! I will think of Mariposa every winter day and the wonderful people who own it. It is well designed, the small kitchen makes it easy to cook , the outdoor shower was a treat at the end of a hot hike... The perfect place to come home to!!!

• Stayed February 2012
Salinas, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

What an amazing spot for a perfect vacation to Montezuma! We stayed in 'Mariposa'. A Perfectly appointed little cabina with a stunning ocean view & woodwork & tile attention to detail that was accomplished with heart felt craftsmanship. Slept with the french doors open & awoke to Beautiful sunrises everyday.

We enjoyed the Sounds of Howler Monkeys, surf and birds. Loved the outdoor shower.
We couldn't wait to come back after our daily adventures!

Thank you to Peter, Ricio & Natalie for your warmths and the love you have for your perfect spot in Costa Rica. We loved your recommendations of the area.

At the risk of letting the secret out for this most Beautiful Spot on Earth, we highly recommend Montezuma Heights!

Room Tip: 2 Cabinas - we stayed in Mariposa great for couples, loved it!