“We come back again and again.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Montezuma Beach Houses

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montezuma
Montezuma Beach Houses
Save Saved
You added Montezuma Beach Houses to your Saves list
500 metros norte de la Escuela, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“We come back again and again.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

This is my second time staying at this one-of-a-kind property. We rented the 'Beach House' in 2011 and again here I sit beside the perfect pool looking out at the perfect ocean. I'm not sure how to explain how wonderful it is here, but it has it all. I love the pool, and my partner prefers the ocean...we are both happy. The town of Montezuma is magical to say the least. The owners have been in this town for many many years, and I can sees why.

The full time caretakers are gracious, helpful, and accessible. My Spanish is poor, but it doesn't matter - they are patient and always keeping the place looking spectacular.

A few things to remember (these are the things that I love about my stay, but are important for others to consider): this is a place for the independent vacationer - you are never bothered by anyone and you make your own way for you stay. In the Beach House, the kitchen is well appointed though not extravagant. You may cook all the meals that you need or walk the VERY short distance to town for any number of meals. There is also access (your responsibility to schedule and setup) to a cook, massages, and we love going down the beach to Ylang Ylang Resort for afternoon cocktails.

Some other reviewers have called this place 'rustic' but I think this is misleading...this is the perfect combo of the relaxing, worry free Pura Vida lifestyle and the right amount of comfort that some travelers (including families) would expect. Extremely safe too.

For me, I will never consider going anywhere else for my perfect beach vacation. If you don't like it here, you're doing it wrong.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Santa Clara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Such a memorable stay. I agree this is the best location in Montezuma. We stayed in the larger 3 bedroom villa. AC and fans made for wonderful sleep. There were mosquito nets on the beds, but totally unnecessary (at least when we went in August). Hot water showers, beautiful black bottom pool, and gardens that the monkeys visited and the tap water was safe for drinking (at least none in our group of 4 ever had stomach problems at any time in Costa Rica).

We took the Cocozuma water taxi from Herradura beach (1 hour) and it dropped us off right at Montezuma Beach. Oldemar (the house caretaker) was waiting for us to take our luggage to the house. As noted, the caretakers speak very little English, but they were wonderful in making sure our stay was comfortable and even chopped coconuts off the palm trees for us to have fresh cocoloco drinks (rum and coconut water).

The fireflies gave us quite a show one night and the turtle hatchery in front of the property was a highlight. August is baby turtle season and we got to see a batch of 69 babies make their way to the sea with the help of amazing volunteers.

The beach in front of the house is sandy (not rocky like some areas) with good waves for playing. I hope to convince the whole family to come here for a reunion!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We've just returned from our second visit to the Montezuma Beach Houses. Both times we've stayed with others in the Tree House. It's two bedrooms are large, and each has its own full bathroom. The outdoor kitchen porch is a great concept in a land where you can get away with this. The Tree House is starting to show some signs of wear, and could do with some cabinet and bathroom repairs. Karen and George, who own the Beach Houses are very welcoming, and are responsive and helpful via email to any inquiries you have prior to your arrival. They will make recommendations on things to do and services to use. The couple who look after the property are lovely but speak only spanish, so be prepared to have to work at communication if Karen isn't around.
This is the best location in Montzuma - a five minute walk to town (and this town has some wonderful restaurants), a turtle hatchery and expansive beach out front, and the jungle behind. You are likely to see monkeys running through the property. The freshwater pool on the property is refreshing after a dash in the ocean. The bougainvillia and other flowers, trees and bushes on the property make it a beautiful locale as well. I hope to return again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Cobourg, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We just spent a week here and at first we were able to overlook the leaky faucets in the bathroom and the "mushy" bed. However, by the end of the week we were getting a bit upset over having to put towels on the bathroom floor every time we used the sink! The bathroom also needs a good sanitizing! The bed gave me a sore back after a couple of nights. A shame really because the location is fantastic. The owners need to keep on top of maintenance.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My family and I had an incredible time here. We stayed in the Beach Villa, the largest house, and it was perfect for us. The location is ideal--it's halfway between Yland Ylang resort and Montezuma--so it's walking distance to everything. There's a fantastic ocean view, a lovely pool, bougainvillea trees all over the property, monkey visitors, a turtle hatchery right in front...

The only reason I would give it four stars and not five, is that it is a bit "rustic," like other reviews said. If you're headed to Montezuma, things are alltogether a bit rougher, so expect it. If you are looking for luxury and pampering, I think Ylang Ylang is the only place you'll find that. For us, the Beach Villa was exactly what we were looking for.

We loved the outdoor space and I think we only went indoors to get stuff from the refigerator and sleep. If you're headed to Montezume with a group of six or more, I highly reccommend renting this place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed in the Beach House on the Montezuma Beach Houses property. It was a wonderful experience. If you are looking for a mostly private, relaxing vacation in Costa Rica you will not be disappointed.

We stayed for 6 days and struggled with leaving the property as it was such a comfortable place to spend our vacation. However, when we did leave, everything we needed or wanted to do was in brief walking distance. The ability to cook food inside or on the grill for most of our stay was big money saver, but there are several very close restaurants that are great options. Montezuma is about a five minute walk away.

The property is absolutely delightful and is bursting at the seams with various wildlife; we observed monkeys (every day at the same time, 20 feet from the pool), iguanas, snakes, armadillos, giant toads, a few crabs snuck their way into the house (they are very easy to shoo away), as well as fireflies and a variety of bird species. Not to mention the busy sounds of the jungle at night time.

The comfortably warm pacific ocean is a 30 second walk from the property. We often alternated from swimming in the ocean and the swimming pool. In fact, we did this ALOT. The hammock is a great place to hang out as well. The care takers are incredibly helpful and prompt in meeting any housekeeping and other household needs (despite our inability to speak spanish). They are absolutely delightful people.

The swimming pool area is communal and therefore travelers staying in the other houses are often utilizing this area. We really lucked out as we got know several of the families that stayed on the property while we there. The pool is maintained appropriately and the area offers several beach style chairs for sunbathing/reading/napping/beer drinking.

The beach house is fairly rustic, but we felt that really added to the experience. One of my fondest memories is having the breeze from the pacific blow through the screen windows into my bedroom; I slept like a little baby. Additionally, nightly lightning storms over the distant pacific were amazing to watch.

Overall, I cannot express the how great this experience was. I have already given the information of this property to several close friends and co-workers back here in the states and encourage anyone who seeks a great vacation experience to stay here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We just came back from the Montezuma Beach House and it totally exceeded our expectations. There were 4 adults and we fit very comfortable in the charming beach house. The immaculately maintained pool looked directly onto the beach. We were able to watch and listen to the ocean while hanging out on the porch or playing in the pool. The property is beautiful; natural setting, wonderful ocean view, private. While we were there, we saw white-throated capuchins, iguanas, agouti, hummingbirds, and crabs on the property.
We made breakfast everyday and ate on the porch and enjoyed being outdoors. During the day, we would take the 5 minute walk into town. The location was perfect.
The owners were very responsive leading up to the trip- I had a number of questions and they got back to me very quickly. We would highly recommend the Montezuma Beach House to anyone, and we will definitely be back!.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Montezuma Beach Houses? Share your experiences!