“Great location but needs some repairs!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Montezuma Beach Houses

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montezuma
Montezuma Beach Houses
You added Montezuma Beach Houses to your Saves list
500 metros norte de la Escuela, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Cobourg, Ontario
“Great location but needs some repairs!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We just spent a week here and at first we were able to overlook the leaky faucets in the bathroom and the "mushy" bed. However, by the end of the week we were getting a bit upset over having to put towels on the bathroom floor every time we used the sink! The bathroom also needs a good sanitizing! The bed gave me a sore back after a couple of nights. A shame really because the location is fantastic. The owners need to keep on top of maintenance.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My family and I had an incredible time here. We stayed in the Beach Villa, the largest house, and it was perfect for us. The location is ideal--it's halfway between Yland Ylang resort and Montezuma--so it's walking distance to everything. There's a fantastic ocean view, a lovely pool, bougainvillea trees all over the property, monkey visitors, a turtle hatchery right in front...

The only reason I would give it four stars and not five, is that it is a bit "rustic," like other reviews said. If you're headed to Montezuma, things are alltogether a bit rougher, so expect it. If you are looking for luxury and pampering, I think Ylang Ylang is the only place you'll find that. For us, the Beach Villa was exactly what we were looking for.

We loved the outdoor space and I think we only went indoors to get stuff from the refigerator and sleep. If you're headed to Montezume with a group of six or more, I highly reccommend renting this place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed in the Beach House on the Montezuma Beach Houses property. It was a wonderful experience. If you are looking for a mostly private, relaxing vacation in Costa Rica you will not be disappointed.

We stayed for 6 days and struggled with leaving the property as it was such a comfortable place to spend our vacation. However, when we did leave, everything we needed or wanted to do was in brief walking distance. The ability to cook food inside or on the grill for most of our stay was big money saver, but there are several very close restaurants that are great options. Montezuma is about a five minute walk away.

The property is absolutely delightful and is bursting at the seams with various wildlife; we observed monkeys (every day at the same time, 20 feet from the pool), iguanas, snakes, armadillos, giant toads, a few crabs snuck their way into the house (they are very easy to shoo away), as well as fireflies and a variety of bird species. Not to mention the busy sounds of the jungle at night time.

The comfortably warm pacific ocean is a 30 second walk from the property. We often alternated from swimming in the ocean and the swimming pool. In fact, we did this ALOT. The hammock is a great place to hang out as well. The care takers are incredibly helpful and prompt in meeting any housekeeping and other household needs (despite our inability to speak spanish). They are absolutely delightful people.

The swimming pool area is communal and therefore travelers staying in the other houses are often utilizing this area. We really lucked out as we got know several of the families that stayed on the property while we there. The pool is maintained appropriately and the area offers several beach style chairs for sunbathing/reading/napping/beer drinking.

The beach house is fairly rustic, but we felt that really added to the experience. One of my fondest memories is having the breeze from the pacific blow through the screen windows into my bedroom; I slept like a little baby. Additionally, nightly lightning storms over the distant pacific were amazing to watch.

Overall, I cannot express the how great this experience was. I have already given the information of this property to several close friends and co-workers back here in the states and encourage anyone who seeks a great vacation experience to stay here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We just came back from the Montezuma Beach House and it totally exceeded our expectations. There were 4 adults and we fit very comfortable in the charming beach house. The immaculately maintained pool looked directly onto the beach. We were able to watch and listen to the ocean while hanging out on the porch or playing in the pool. The property is beautiful; natural setting, wonderful ocean view, private. While we were there, we saw white-throated capuchins, iguanas, agouti, hummingbirds, and crabs on the property.
We made breakfast everyday and ate on the porch and enjoyed being outdoors. During the day, we would take the 5 minute walk into town. The location was perfect.
The owners were very responsive leading up to the trip- I had a number of questions and they got back to me very quickly. We would highly recommend the Montezuma Beach House to anyone, and we will definitely be back!.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

We spent a week at Montezuma Beach Houses in April of 2012. We toured the area extensively and are convinced that there is no better place to stay in Montezuma.
-It is private.
-It has amazing beach access.
-It is right next to the turtle preserve.
-It is just a 5 minute walk into town.
-The owners, caretakers, etc. are all wonderful.
-The houses are charming!! They remind me of a luxury version of the Swiss Family Robinson house in the old movie.
-The pool was WONDERFUL.
-We loved the sounds of the ocean, animials and birds....you can hear them all day and night. It is magical.
-The outdoor cooking area next to the pool is perfect for entertaining.
-There are dozens of fruit trees on the property----go pick your breakfast.
-The beds were comfortable and clean.
-The kitchens were modern and stocked with all the tools you need.

I read some of the negative reviews and frankly I don't understand them. We LOVED Montezuma Beach Houses.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I spent a magical week at the Montezuma Beach Houses with my young son (aged 7) and a friend.

The people are wonderful, the beaches amazing, and the beach houses are charming, cozy, and private.

I wish we could have stayed a month. We hope to go back sometime when the turtles are hatching.

• Stayed April 2012
Regina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

Was very "rustic" accommodation in terms of the tree house property not being very well maintained. The floor tiles were cracked, broken and missing. The mosquito nets had many large holes in them. The taps in the bathroom were partially broken. The biggest downfall of this rental is the lack of A/C (which I didn't think we needed) but with 35 degree heat, you need it. We were hoping there would be a breeze off the ocean but the large house in front of the tree house blocks the breeze you might normally get.

The pool was great. Our son had a blast in the pool everyday. We actually discovered a Turtle Camp was set up right in front of the property on the beach where they rescue and release turtles to the ocean. The camp is run by volunteers who do round the clock watches for the turtle nests. I thought this was really cool and one of the main highlights of the location but the owner did not seem overly excited about his obstructed view. Anyway the walk to town with our little boy (4 yrs old) was close and easy and safe and you could walk down the other direction towards Ylang Ylang which was very cool. I absolutely loved the Location - I think the owners have a real gem...they just need to work on the upkeep of the property. Laying in the hammock at night and hearing the waves crashing was the best part!

The caretaker Oldemar - was a wonderful person and so friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Montezuma Beach Houses? Share your experiences!