“WoW! Great stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Montezuma Pacific Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montezuma
Montezuma Pacific Hotel
Save Saved
You added Montezuma Pacific Hotel to your Saves list
Town center, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #3 of 14 Montezuma B&B and Inns
Gatineau, Canada
“WoW! Great stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We found this hotel randomly, late at night! What a great unexpected surprise: very clean place, hot water, air conditioning, a fridge in your room, a KITCHEN that you can use, a very cute balcony where you can read or eat and the sweetest owner in town! Carlos really care about his guests and their safety. The beach is really close and you are just far enough from the town "noise". Enjoy your stay there!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Bergen, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The hotel manager Carlos made our stay extra special! Never have we ever met such a wonderful, helpful man, who clearly loves his guests! Our room was huge, had two double beds to choose from, safety box, full-size fridge, and AC. No bugs and everything was really clean. Maybe not the latest fashion, but surely more than you can ask for, for a price a lot less than the neighboring hotel. But as said, the owner was the best; he went the extra mile to arrange our bus tickets, and he even let us use their kitchen, which came in handy as the prices of Montezuma are not the cheapest. Highly recommended!
Muchísimas gracias a Carlos, y saludos desde Nicaragua! ;)

Room Tip: The owner will show you several rooms if there is space, so you can choose the one you like the best...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Be sure to ask for the second floor- the room at the end... half the jungle was on that tree (in Sept/Oct). The shower head was cleaned as soon as we asked.... and he even gave us 10min with his laptop for file transfering!
great manager.
well worth the $$ (which in comparison was cheap).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dearborn, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Great price and location and it includes air conditioning, a refrigerator in your room (which has private bathrooms), a safe in the room, and some shared balconies (and one private one). And now they have wireless internet (although I don't know if it's accessible from ALL the rooms, you might have to go up on the balcony). Also, they also have free tea and coffee in the morning in the lobby.

It's less than a small city block to get to the downtown and another block to the small beach and not much more to the big beach. I'm exaggerating when I say "downtown", it's about two blocks of stores, shops, restaurants, 2 grocery stores, internet cafes and an ATM (that only has money in it half the time).

This is a small Costa Rican hotel, around 15 rooms. Not all rooms have the same, I know some rooms (downstairs?) have TVs but I don't think those rooms have access to the shared balconies after 10 pm. Tourists from all over the world stay here, during the holidays the Costa Ricans stay here. FYI, all Costa Ricans seem to migrate to the ocean towns the week before Easter and the week before Christmas (and some the week after).

My 5 stars are based on value and customer service, not luxury. I usually find other people in town who are paying more for places without air conditioning, hot water or have shared bathrooms, several have moved on my recommendation and none have complained. The staff keeps an eye out (safety-wise) and is very friendly. There is free parking on the street right in front of the hotel and along the side side street (I've parked in both locations).

One downside is that since they have A/C, some of the rooms really aren't set up to open the windows. But that's okay, I'm outside all day and they have the balconies to sit outside in the evening.

While Montezuma is small it does have a busy area and while this hotel "downtown" it is NOT in the busy area. But it's still less than a 5 minute walk to either beach. A few of the hotels say they're in Montezuma, but they are UP the hill this one is still in the immediate vicinity between / next to the church and park. I wish I could describe this better. It's on the other side of the "city park" and the church.

The staff is great! If you need someone who speaks English when you call, ask for Carlos and if they don't put him on the line just call them back (I still don't speak very much Spanish)

You can generally take your laundry down to the desk in the morning and have it done that day (very affordable). Speaking of the staff, one time I was there I sent some laundry down and it was in my room when I came back (here's the important part) with a $20 bill on top of the pile of laundry that I must have left in one of the pockets!

I've stayed here on my own multiple times, with with friends, girlfriend and even my Mom...

I finally talked my mother into coming to Costa Rica and this is where we stayed for (5 nights) most of the trip! How's that for a recommendation?!? Some of the photos my mother took that got the most compliments on were taken from the balcony facing the church.

Montezuma is near the ocean, the big waterfalls, Cabo Blanco Absolute Natural Reserve and on most(?) Saturdays there is a farmers marker (food and crafts) in the park right across the street.

[This is my fourth revision to my initial review here. I've been back several times since (and I had already stayed there a few times when I wrote my first review). ]

Room Tip: Room Tip: Rooms upstairs have easy 24 hour access to shared balconies. But I think the downstairs r...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

After many nights in Costa Rica we were excited to get a room with air condition, our own hot water shower and a TV, and very happy that that didnt mean we had to raise our budgets. This is a cute place with very comfortable and spacious rooms, as well as a terrasse with Wifi from which you can watch the iguanas and the monkeys on the trees. Its located right in the centre of Montezuma, but on a little side alley making it immune to the street noise. Theres a large safe in the room and the beds are huge, and the whole hotel is very clean. There was a very small kitchen that wasnt as well stocked as in many hostels, so we usually ate out. The owner was very nice too!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Groningen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

We stayed here in air conditioned comfort for 3 nights. It's in a great location, close to the beach and in town. Carlos was a great host and made sure we were happy. The rom was huge and cleaned every day. The hotel shows its age, but that was alright for the price. We had a safe in our room. There seemed to be a hotel employee around most of the time watching over the hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

O.k. so it's not the Hilton, but for $45/night, it's pretty darn great. The bed was the worst and the pillows felt like they were filled with cotton balls, but if you're looking for a less expensive place, the owners will treat you great and give awesome advice. They know all about the town and they'll lead you in the right direction. Also, it has a/c. Unheard of for this price! If you're in town for a night, and you're not a picky sleeper, go for it!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Montezuma Pacific Hotel? Share your experiences!