“I've stayed here at least 7 different trips (50+ days) over the last 4 years and WILL stay again!”” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Montezuma Pacific Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montezuma
Montezuma Pacific Hotel
Town center, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 15 Montezuma B&B and Inns
Dearborn, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Great price and location and it includes air conditioning, a refrigerator in your room (which has private bathrooms), a safe in the room, and some shared balconies (and one private one). And now they have wireless internet (although I don't know if it's accessible from ALL the rooms, you might have to go up on the balcony). Also, they also have free tea and coffee in the morning in the lobby.

It's less than a small city block to get to the downtown and another block to the small beach and not much more to the big beach. I'm exaggerating when I say "downtown", it's about two blocks of stores, shops, restaurants, 2 grocery stores, internet cafes and an ATM (that only has money in it half the time).

This is a small Costa Rican hotel, around 15 rooms. Not all rooms have the same, I know some rooms (downstairs?) have TVs but I don't think those rooms have access to the shared balconies after 10 pm. Tourists from all over the world stay here, during the holidays the Costa Ricans stay here. FYI, all Costa Ricans seem to migrate to the ocean towns the week before Easter and the week before Christmas (and some the week after).

My 5 stars are based on value and customer service, not luxury. I usually find other people in town who are paying more for places without air conditioning, hot water or have shared bathrooms, several have moved on my recommendation and none have complained. The staff keeps an eye out (safety-wise) and is very friendly. There is free parking on the street right in front of the hotel and along the side side street (I've parked in both locations).

One downside is that since they have A/C, some of the rooms really aren't set up to open the windows. But that's okay, I'm outside all day and they have the balconies to sit outside in the evening.

While Montezuma is small it does have a busy area and while this hotel "downtown" it is NOT in the busy area. But it's still less than a 5 minute walk to either beach. A few of the hotels say they're in Montezuma, but they are UP the hill this one is still in the immediate vicinity between / next to the church and park. I wish I could describe this better. It's on the other side of the "city park" and the church.

The staff is great! If you need someone who speaks English when you call, ask for Carlos and if they don't put him on the line just call them back (I still don't speak very much Spanish)

You can generally take your laundry down to the desk in the morning and have it done that day (very affordable). Speaking of the staff, one time I was there I sent some laundry down and it was in my room when I came back (here's the important part) with a $20 bill on top of the pile of laundry that I must have left in one of the pockets!

I've stayed here on my own multiple times, with with friends, girlfriend and even my Mom...

I finally talked my mother into coming to Costa Rica and this is where we stayed for (5 nights) most of the trip! How's that for a recommendation?!? Some of the photos my mother took that got the most compliments on were taken from the balcony facing the church.

Montezuma is near the ocean, the big waterfalls, Cabo Blanco Absolute Natural Reserve and on most(?) Saturdays there is a farmers marker (food and crafts) in the park right across the street.

[This is my fourth revision to my initial review here. I've been back several times since (and I had already stayed there a few times when I wrote my first review). ]

Room Tip: Room Tip: Rooms upstairs have easy 24 hour access to shared balconies. But I think the downstairs r...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

104 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

After many nights in Costa Rica we were excited to get a room with air condition, our own hot water shower and a TV, and very happy that that didnt mean we had to raise our budgets. This is a cute place with very comfortable and spacious rooms, as well as a terrasse with Wifi from which you can watch the iguanas and the monkeys on the trees. Its located right in the centre of Montezuma, but on a little side alley making it immune to the street noise. Theres a large safe in the room and the beds are huge, and the whole hotel is very clean. There was a very small kitchen that wasnt as well stocked as in many hostels, so we usually ate out. The owner was very nice too!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Groningen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

We stayed here in air conditioned comfort for 3 nights. It's in a great location, close to the beach and in town. Carlos was a great host and made sure we were happy. The rom was huge and cleaned every day. The hotel shows its age, but that was alright for the price. We had a safe in our room. There seemed to be a hotel employee around most of the time watching over the hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

O.k. so it's not the Hilton, but for $45/night, it's pretty darn great. The bed was the worst and the pillows felt like they were filled with cotton balls, but if you're looking for a less expensive place, the owners will treat you great and give awesome advice. They know all about the town and they'll lead you in the right direction. Also, it has a/c. Unheard of for this price! If you're in town for a night, and you're not a picky sleeper, go for it!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

Let me start by saying that this hotel was one of the nicest we came across on our travels through costa rica...Clean, spacious, safe...

Carlos was amazing and was always willing to go out of his way to make sure we got the most out of our stay, acting as a tour guide as well as our Montezuma "Father"

I would definitely recommend staying here...again and again and again.

4 thumbs up!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

I stayed 3 nights at hotel montezuma pazific.
The room was quiet, with air condition and enough space to put all your stuff. Its alsways good, not live out of your backpack for a few days...
The room got cleaned everey day and we had a nice time chatting with the owner Carlos. He was really helpfull and attentive and we could even use his kitchen.
The hotel is located next to the placa, almost in the djungel. We saw a lot of animal crossing the hotel and enjoyed feeding the hotel pet- a big iguana that lives on the next tree.
We had a nice time and would recommend this place!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

We spent four comfortable nights here. Montezuma is all of two or three blocks long and chock full of restaurant,housing and beach choices. There are hostels for backpackers and high-end choices for people who want saunas. This is a reasonable choice for people who want economy along with comfortable mattresses, a/c, wifi and cable. Be aware that you'll need to buy drinking water everywhere.
The prices quoted by other visitors for their rooms may have been low season rates. We paid more. Ymmv.
Also, this part of the coast is experiencing a red tide. If you're coming soon, check whether it's still here.
We were lucky enough to stumble across a turtle conservation station on the beach on a day they were releasing turtles into the ocean. Totally unexpected thrill.
We also loved the waterfall just a ten minute walk from the center of town. The climb is a little harder than I expected, but there's a lovely pool near the beginning of the climb where you can sit in the water and wait for the more intrepid in your party who want to make the whole climb. Remember to wear good shoes, a bathing suit and a hat. Lovely!

Room Tip: Upstairs may be quieter.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Montezuma Pacific Hotel? Share your experiences!