“Excellent budget hotel with central location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Montezuma Pacific Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montezuma
Montezuma Pacific Hotel
Town center, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 15 Montezuma B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent budget hotel with central location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I stayed in Montezuma Pacific for a few nights in November 2011. For approx. 30 US dollars a night had a double room with big private bathroom, aircon, fridge, hot shower, wifi. Room was basic but immaculately clean and comfortable. It was one facing the communal balcony which I mostly had to myself. I spent many a happy hour there watching the wildlife frolicking in the big tree opposite: monkeys, iguanas, squirrels, white-throated magpie jays (made the mistake of feeding them and they got a bit too friendly but got nice photos! :-)). The host, Carlos (I think) was extremely friendly and helpful beyond call of duty. He, for example, made several calls on my behalf trying to find out about bus schedules and road situations and confirming hotel bookings for my forward travel. The location is perfect, just at the end of a little side street off the main street (there is not much more in central Montezuma), so it's quiet but still less than a minute to walk to the restaurants on the main bit and less than 5 min to walk to the beach. Would definitely go again!

Room Tip: I had one facing the communal balcony. Can't really say about the others.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

104 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

Montezuma Pacific is an excellent budget option in this gem of a town. I planned to stay here for a few days but ended up staying for 10 days. The hotel is just one block away from the small strip mall in the downtown and the beach. Although the lobby area and the hallways need to refurbished, the rooms are nice and clean. My room had a refrigerator, A/C, hot water and bright natural fluroscent light – everything in good working order. There is also really good free coffee available all day long.

You also get a chance to see iguanas, squirrels, and other animals from the balcony in the park in front of the hotel. If you get lucky, you may even see a hedgehog.

The owner Carlos is very helpful and friendly. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011 via mobile

We stayed at M Pacific for a lovely week in rooms 9, and 5. For $30 a night we had a private balcony, air con, a fridge in our room, hot water and our room cleaned whenever we needed. There is free coffee all morning long, and a big kitchen with an oven and blender among other things. Considering the high prices all over this little town, Montezuma Pacific was the reason we stayed so long! The owner is lovely and helpful, and we spotted so many huge lizards, squirrels, birds etc each morning while enjoying our coffee on our private patio. The wifi is really fast, and there is also a large communal patio space available. I would return here in a heartbeat:)

• Stayed November 2011
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

We stayed for three nights at Montezuma Pacific Hotel. Carlos, our host was really friendly and welcoming. The rooms were really well equipped and simple. You had all that you needed though, a fridge, a/c, etc. Ask for a room on the balcony and that way you can see the amazing wildlife provided by one big tree right outside the hotel. I.e. monkeys, iguanas, birds, squirrels, etc.
The hotel is also conveniently placed in the centre of town, which makes it easy to walk everywhere.i.e, restaurants, supermarket, waterfall, beach.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Room with access to the balcony
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

This is a great place to stay in montezuma. It is quite and clean and close to everything. Carlos, the owner, is a wonderful host.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Westland, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

I came to Costa Rica and Montezuma with a friend for the first time and we stayed at the Montezuma Pacific for 5 days! I loved that it was a block off "downtown," which made it quieter, but it was still so close to the beach. Carlos, the owner/manager was gracious and welcoming as was all the staff! They offer laundry services (vital when you sweat through EVERYTHING in the heat), WiFi, refrigerators in the room, AC (which worked perfectly) and safes in every room. I loved having coffee (free) on the shared balcony each morning and seeing which new animal was "hanging out" in the big tree directly in front of it- squirrels, iguanas, birds and monkeys all greeted me at some point!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Dearborn, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

Great price and it includes air conditioning, a refrigerator in your room (which has private bathrooms), a safe in the room, and some shared balconies (and one private one). And now they have wireless internet (although I don't know if it's accessible from ALL the rooms, you might have to go up on the balcony). Also, they also have free tea and coffee in the morning in the lobby.

My 5 stars are based on value and customer service, not luxury. I generally find other people in town who are paying more for places without air and shared bathrooms, several have moved on my recommendation and none have complained. The staff keeps an eye out (safety-wise) and is very friendly. There is free parking on the street right in front of the hotel and along the side side street (I've parked in both locations).

One downside is that since they have A/C, some of the rooms really aren't set up to open the windows. But that's okay, I'm outside all day and they have the balconies to sit outside.

While Montezuma is small it does have a busy area and while this is "downtown" it is NOT in the busy area. But it's still less than a 5 minute walk to either beach. A few of the hotels say they're in Montezuma, but they are UP the hill this one is still in the immediate vicinity between / next to the church and park. I wish I could describe this better.

The staff is great! If you need someone who speaks English when you call, ask for Carlos and if they don't put him on the line just call them back (I still don't speak very much Spanish)

You can generally take your laundry down to the desk in the morning and have it done that day (very affordable). Speaking of the staff, last time I was there I sent some laundry down and it was in my room when I came back (here's the important part) with a $20 bill on top of the pile of laundry that I must have left in one of the pockets!

I finally talked my mother into coming to Costa Rica and this is where we stayed for (5 nights) most of the trip! How's that for a recommendation?!? Some of the photos my mother took that got the most compliments on were taken from the balcony.

I've stayed here on my own multiple times, with a girlfriend once and with my Mother once.

Montezuma is near the ocean, the big waterfalls, Cabo Blanco Absolute Natural Reserve and on most(?) Saturdays there is a farmers marker (food and crafts) in the park right across the street.

This is my third revision to my initial review here. I've been back several times since (and I had already stayed there a few times when I wrote my first review). And I'm heading back down there in April 2011 :)

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs have EZ access to shared balconies.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Montezuma Pacific Hotel? Share your experiences!