“Something special” 5 of 5 stars

1 mile from downtown Montezuma, Montezuma 60111, Costa Rica   |
Lima, Peru
“Something special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

Agua Vista is an outstanding place to stay. The accommodation, the view, the wildlife, the waterfall, the jungle vegetation, the owners are all first-class. One downside, everywhere else you stay after this will suffer by comparison!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

158 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Magalia, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Agua Vista is simply fabulous in every way. Alex and Khalida are the consummate hosts, and seem to have thought of everything. We stayed in Casa Morpho, and found it to be a beautifully appointed, ready to live in home. The kitchen was nicely equipped with everything needed for cooking. Words could not prepare us for the beauty that surrounded us when we set foot on the property. We found that using taxis to take us to and from town (Montezuma) were inexpensive and convenient--but just be aware that you need a car (or taxi) to get anywhere from Agua Vista. A phone for guest use is located nearby, complete with listings for taxis. An in-house clothes washer was a very nice to have amenity that we used a lot. Clothes dried on clotheslines in a couple of hours. We've stayed at many places all over the world, but Agua Vista is going to be *very* hard to beat. It's simply an amazing place to stay in a beautiful setting. Good for the soul. We can't wait to visit Agua Vista again.

Room Tip: All the cabins seemed to be equally desirable in terms of location. Each cabin is private and beaut...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

I can't say enough good things about this place! Our 'cabin' with it's own private plunge pool was spectacular. Everything we needed was available, a well equiped kitchen, a washing machine, pool towels, etc. etc. The views were stunning and the wildlife was very entertaining , including an iguana that lived in the roof and took a liking to my husband. She kept on trying to get to him but after falling a few times, gave up and appeared content to stare at him from the roof edge. The shower was amazing. It was technically an outdoor shower but really was an enclosed room with intense water pressure and wonderfully hot water.

Therre were a few down sides but they did not detract from our vacation. The 1st night we were there, the people staying in the adjacent cabin had 2 kids that woke up at 5.30am and were making an horrendous noise, screaming, playing & singing. Yes they were on vacation but so were we and 5.30am is way too early to wake up on vacation in my opinion. Sound really carries up there so it was a huge issue for us but luckily they left & the new neighbors were very quiet.

When I was researching places to stay, some of the reviews of this place mentioned that is was a very steep walk for those who don't intend to hire a car. Being reasonably fit and liking to walk I didn't think it would be an issue. Be warned though, this hill is so steep that even an ATV struggles to get up it. It is 0.8 km's from Montezuma to the turn-off to Agua Vista and then another 0.8 km's on a dirt road to Agua Vista itself. We rented an ATV which worked out really well and gave us access, not only to quick runs back to the cabin, but also to explore the neighboring towns. I highly recommend doing this. A cab to Agua Vista is U$6 & worked pretty well for us before we got the ATV.

Alex and Khalida are wonderful and very helpful and have done a great job at Agua Vista. I will very definitely stay here again & bring friends! We loved it so much we are already planning our next trip.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

Wow, this was a super cool place to stay!
Loved the cabin and quasi outdoor shower in the bathroom.
NO dogs...phew!!! This was great.
The host's were fab, and went far beyond expectations in helping us get a memory card to us that we had left in Samara.
Enjoyed many an hour on the deck just watching the humming birds...and yes there were monkeys!

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

We have traveled to CR as a family several years in a row and always stay in a different place (from big resorts to quiet B&Bs). This year, we rented two cabinas at Agua Vista and had our best experience ever. Other reviewers have summed it up well- -this is a special place. The highlights for me were seeing the night sky, walking to the river and having it all to myself, and enjoying the wildlife all around us. An added plus was the friendship my children formed with Khalida and Alex's children. This place alone is worth the trip to Montezuma. We dream of going back.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed in the bambu bungalow at Agua Vista for 7 nights. The property is amazing... a small clearing by a river in the jungle. Each day we were greeted with the peaceful sounds of the water, birds, monkeys, etc. You will see lots of interesting wildlife, make new friends, enjoy the perfect weather by the pool, and of course, never forget the perfect view.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

Here we are at home in Olympia, WA remembering our favorite part of our trip to Costa Rica...it was Montezuma and most of all Agua Vista. We made the best decision ever to trust these reviews, start a conversation wtih Khalida and Alex and stay at Agua Vista. We made the 2nd best decision when we decided to skip Monteverde and head straight to Agua Vista. We made the worst decision of our trip when we left to go on to our next scheduled stop and last one of our two week vacation to The Westin at Playa conchol and not stay one more night at Agua Vista. I don't want to write anything negative in this review....so we will skip the last part about The Westin and go straight into what is so fantastic about Agua Vista.

1) Khalida & Alex and their Family - They are so easty to talk to on the phone, via email and it was like meeting old friends when we saw them in person. They made us feel so welcome and if I lived in Montezuma full time I would want them as my friends.

2) The Property - WOW what a slice of heaven....from being up on the hill overlooking the vista of the Ocean, Sunrises, Territory beyond where the lights shimmer on a clear night, the well manicured grounds, the welcoming vibe and the open concept house where the family lives to the open invitation to use their pool and of course the cute little telephone booth and the Casitas....and on and on and on...the wild life...on and on...the friendly bat in the shower...and on

3) Casa Tragon (spelling?) - I made it my business to take a look at all four of their offerings and by far this one is my favorite...but believe me when I say you can't go wrong with any of the choices...this was just my fav.....great view from the foot of my bed every morning with the sunrise, the outdoor shower (that was the shower for the inside of the place) and then the outdoor rinse off to the pool...oh and the mini lap pool...the wild life....the Nutria, Coati, White Face Monkeys and Howler Monkeys....our own soundtrack of birds, and monkeys and bugs and wind and stunning visual beauty that surround you.....oh and the indoors...great kitchen equipped with all new everything...need a crock pot, a blender, a toaster a coffee pot....microwave, gas top stove, refrigeratior......PERFECTION!

Knowing what I know now....I would skip all the rest and head straight here. Montezuma was great and they have some must have restaurants....like Cocolores and Pugguos.....I fell in love with Agua Vista....I could stay there for weeks on end.

I hope you enjoy as we did....it is the one place that will bring me back to Costa Rica again!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Agua Vista? Share your experiences!