“Robbed!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Pension Jenny

Pension Jenny
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montezuma
Pension Jenny
Save Saved
You added Pension Jenny to your Saves list
Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #13 of 14 Montezuma B&B and Inns
“Robbed!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I were robbed while we were sleeping in our room on Dec 23. We did not wake up when the robber got into the room. Our electronic devices including sports shoes were robbed. I lost my passport in the first beginning but someone found it on the street. It was a terrible experience. And one of the hotel owner in Montezuma told me that Pension Jenny and that area is not safe. Robbery happens. Security is the most important thing when u r traveling outside. I wonder why this hostel is on Lonely Planet's recommendation list??? Stay away for this hostel!!!

• Stayed December 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Ended up here in peak season due to lack of availability in town. In hindsight, would have been better off sleeping on the beach.
On arrival, we tried to ignore the dirty toilet, bathroom, floor and sheets which we were paying $20pp/night for, and left to view the town. On our return, we discovered our door still locked, secure window intact and our bags thoroughly searched and valuables gone.
We left as soon as possible, were not given a refund, and the owners did not help with the police and were not at all concerned by what had happened.

Room Tip: Avoid at all cost.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012 via mobile

This was the worst place I've ever stayed in my life, including my experiences in many wet tents and dirty frat houses.

Non of the toilets flushed and were overflowing with sewage, not that you could see this because there were no light bulbs in the sockets in the toilets. The showers and sinks hadn't been cleaned in what looked like six months and were filled with bugs and even a crab. There was rotting fruit lining the windowsills that an array of insects called home. The kitchen was too gross to even contemplate making a cup of coffee in let alone a meal. And I'm far from a neat freak.

At one point there was no running water and nobody on the property to report it to.

It is a shame, because the building is beautiful and the location is great and a deep cleaning and some basic maintenance and service would make this a great place. Until management turns the place around though, your better off sleeping on the beach then here.

• Stayed April 2012
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

If you absolutely need to save every last colone, then pension Jenny is a really cheap way to do that. Be warned, you get what you pay for. Long rough dirt road to drag luggage up. Almost no room to move about in the room. Our room was open air at the top of the wall which meant the bed was full of all kinds of beetles, mosquitoes and some creatures that we debated about actually being bedbugs. Hot, sweaty, tiny, and buggy. If you are trying to save money and just need a place to lock up you bag, pay the 5mil colones a night, lock the door, and sleep on the beach (just make sure you get back before 11am to check out or (as the posters warn) you may be charged for another day.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Liège
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2008

I went there on april 2008 and I had only troubles and problems. I had to pay before for the week and since I had to leave earlier they didn’t refund me. Moreover the crew there was totally unfriendly and not helping. Other guests there were drunk and stoned all the time and doors couldn’t close. Not safe! You don’t want to pay that price to stay in that area of costa rica. Pension jenny must be among the worst place to stay in Montezuma.. Avoid!

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Pension Jenny? Share your experiences!