“Simple accomodation with warm hearted people” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hostel Lys

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montezuma
Hostel Lys
Save Saved
You added Hostel Lys to your Saves list
| Montezuma Beach, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
“Simple accomodation with warm hearted people”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

The rooms and facilities are pretty basic. Shared washrooms are kept cleaned every morning. The staff are very warm and helpful. It's location is great too. The common area faces the beach where there are hammocks for chilling in and tables and chairs for whimsical dining or socialising.
On two nights the beach in front of our hotel hosted live music and bonfires. We stayed there for 6 nights for $10 per person.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

20 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Groningen, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed at hotel Lys in February this year. It was one of the hostels in our Lonely Planet Guide Book and it's close to the bus, we're you arrive.
But...
The rooms are small, the shared toilet was broken, it couldn't flush, it smelled, it was dirty (dead chopped off fish head laid on the ground in de hall for more then a day). Not a really nice place to stay. We only stayed there beacause everything else was full and we didn't have a lot of money. But we didn't enjoy it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

I got up in the morning to catch the first bus to San Jose. The hostel guy knew I was doing this the night before. The place was all locked up so I couldn't leave. I missed three buses before he finally showed up, without the keys to they had to break in. The place is just left abandoned in the night. I met three guys who had to sleep on the beach because they couldn't get into their room. Really unsafe.

On top of that, I lost my camera in the waterfall. I told the hostel guy and he said his friend would find it for me for free. So I stupidly told him where to find it. Then he said he wanted $100 to give it back to me. The hostel guy said "If I were you I'd pay it." Thanks Hostel Lys!

Beds, toilets and showers are filthy. This is really basic stuff.

There is a kitchen (essential in Costa Rica on a travellers budget) but it is the worse hostel kitchen I've ever seen. No bowls, pans, cups or spoons.

All in all, the worst hostel experience of my life. Please stay away.

• Stayed July 2013
City of San Marino, San Marino
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We paid 40US$ for a double room with bathroom. the room was a cubicle... small, gloomy, smelly and quite dirty. bedsheets were super worn and with holes, red aunts were raining from the ceiling all over the bed. there was no mosquito net on the bed and not even some kind of hook where I could have hanged mine. Music played loud for the main part of the night.
The morning after we checked out and run away !

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Quebec City, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I have a lot of travel experience, and out of the 20 countries I've visited, Hostel Lys is definately the WORST place I've ever stayed at!!

4 men, apparently STAFF MEMBERS, burst out in our dorm at 2:30 AM screaming with a flashlight (completely drunk). The old one (a creapy old dude, apparently the owner's friend) was trying to come to my bed, I was truly terrified and I even though I shouted, they wouldn't leave. A guy in the dorm had to speak up for them to go. Everybody woke up and couldnt believe what just happened. I have never in my life felt so threaten. The next day I didn't even get any proper apology nor explanation. On top of this, the hostel is dirty.

Please. Don't go there. No matter how cheap it can be.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
David, Panama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

We came to montezuma late in the evening and made the mistake of renting a room there. The room was really hot (even with a fan) and quite stinky, due to it being next to the neighbours sewage drain according to the host. It wasn't super-dirty, but not exactly clean either, as the floor was full of sand.

Being right on the beach, the location is nice. Unfortunately they were having some kind of open mic night witch went on too late and was just way too loud.

The place is ok for one night, but other than that it is over priced. We payed 30 dollars for a double room with shared bathroom. You can get a cheaper, cleaner and bigger room at Hotel Lucy a short walk down the road.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

Although in a prime position (except for the waste-water drain running to the beach next door and several piles of rubbish), this place is well overdue for a deep-clean, new lick of paint and some tender care (there was sand already in our room when we arrived and empty beer cans under the bed). The double room we had was cramped (looked like the other rooms were similar) and the sheets/bed needed replacing. Really bad value for money (although they can get away with it as every other hostel in town was the same price). This needs to change.
If you don't like late night noise OR early morning noise then I'd give the place a miss (perhaps this was only in the rooms nearer the beach bar where we were, but I'm not so sure the noise wouldn't travel). Also the staff/owner made you feel like you were rudely interrupting their own holiday- not very relaxing or friendly-feeling.

Room Tip: Don't go close to the beach if you want to sleep (noise at night and in the early hours)