“Well past it's used-by date” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hostel Lys

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montezuma
Hostel Lys
Save Saved
You added Hostel Lys to your Saves list
| Montezuma Beach, Montezuma, Costa Rica   |
London, United Kingdom
“Well past it's used-by date”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

Although in a prime position (except for the waste-water drain running to the beach next door and several piles of rubbish), this place is well overdue for a deep-clean, new lick of paint and some tender care (there was sand already in our room when we arrived and empty beer cans under the bed). The double room we had was cramped (looked like the other rooms were similar) and the sheets/bed needed replacing. Really bad value for money (although they can get away with it as every other hostel in town was the same price). This needs to change.
If you don't like late night noise OR early morning noise then I'd give the place a miss (perhaps this was only in the rooms nearer the beach bar where we were, but I'm not so sure the noise wouldn't travel). Also the staff/owner made you feel like you were rudely interrupting their own holiday- not very relaxing or friendly-feeling.

Room Tip: Don't go close to the beach if you want to sleep (noise at night and in the early hours)
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

20 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

In 2002 it was cheap, maybe $12 per night. The owners were friendly - the husband showed me how to swim under waves, and their two sons showed us around Montezuma - the oldest taking us to the waterfall. They were visible, and socialized with us - it was a homey feeling. We brought in some "fresh meat" off the bus from San Jose, and they gave us beer for bringing in some revenue. It was a full house when I was there, and everyone bonded. We hung out on the patio every night together, went to the waterfall, restaurants, etc. I had one of the front rooms with 2 windows, so there was a nice breeze during the night. It was very clean when I stayed. There were some questionable places on my month long trip, but Hotel Lys was not one of them. A local woman was there every day cleaning - all day. The bathrooms and showers were spotless. Not sure what has happened since. Maybe new ownership? I have great memories of Hotel Lys, and I thought I should offer a positive take on the place. The beach is on the doorstep. As a backpacker in Costa Rica for a month, I enjoyed Hotel Lys. I even went back at the end of my trip because it's where I wanted to end my travels. Again, this was 2002. It's very possible that things have changed. It's just a shame they did.

Room Tip: One of the two front rooms - 2 windows.
  • Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

Very basic rooms and not very clean... It was a quiet period when we were there, and we were the only ones staying in the place and it didn't feel very safe. I think it would be a different experience when the hostel if full and there is more energy around the place.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Westminster, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

When in Costa Rica traveling with a group of twenty-something friends, we came across a review in Lonely Planet for Hostel Lys. The review was good, the price ok ($20 a night for a double, with the bathroom down the hall) and the location (literally step out on to the beach) was awesome. We were traveling backpack style so this place seemed up our alley. However, once we got there we quickly realized what a mistake we had made. Nothing was clean. The rooms were dark, dank and full of spider webs, bugs, and sand that hadn't been swept out with the previous tenant. I actually sat down on the bed only to see a spider crawl out of a hole in my mattress. The bathrooms down the hall were so small (I'm 5'9 and could barely fit my legs to sit on the toilet) and dirty. The shower I was in drained into the shower next to me and the swarm of mosquitoes showering with me were not endearing. Bring your own hand soap here, none was provided.

To be fair, the beach outside of Hostel Lys was beautiful and right out your door, and the guy working there was very nice and helpful, but the night of sleeping on a bed where I could count each wooden slat holding me up and was worried spiders would crawl into my mouth was not worth it.

Only if you like staying in a shack would Hostel Lys be right for you. We have taken to calling it "Hostel Lice" and ran far away after 1 night there. I cannot stress enough that for people who are used to roughing it, this was over the edge for us.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

Hotel Lys is right on the beach, which should lead to sleeping with the sound of the waves crashing against the shore and the ocean breezes blowing into your room. Wrong! While management is very laid back and the price is good ($20 for room with a double bed, bath down the hall) the wonderful potential atmosphere was completely ruined. On our first night there, our windowless room was unbearable, filthy, stained sheets, bugs everywhere. Night 2 we were unable to sleep because an older guest/resident was playing the cowbell erratically to LOUD salsa music until I begged him to stop around 1am (he was the only one on the patio- no party going on, just this solo party!). The "music" picked up again a bit before 6am. That day, because there was no place in the room to hang your clothing or wet towels, we used the line outside- only to have our towels stolen. No matter tho, the water went out in the place for the rest of the night.
Pros are of course, the amazing beach location. You can't beat literally living on the beach, and luckily, we did not need to be around during the day. But at night, when you just want to sit back and relax, there's really no place to do this (you dont want to sit on the beach because of all the crabs at night) and the really loud music makes it impossible to have a conversation or wind down in the common area, and the rooms are so shoddy thats no place to hang out. After 2 bad nights, the lack of water, the stolen towels, the filthy room, and the noise, we went to another place in town for only a bit more a night and it was relaxing, had a kitchen where we could cook our own meals and store our water bottles, and was quiet and peaceful- a perfect place to return after a day of hiking or swimming.
I've stayed in hostels all over the world, and this was the least considerate, and the dirtiest.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2009

I stayed one night at the Hotel Lys, it is located on the beach of Montezuma and 2 minutes away from the main street, but I was very disappointed with the room. For sure it's cheap but my room was tiny and dirty, bedsheets full of stains, cobwebs on the walls, the bathroom was old and not cleaned properly...It is a real shame as the staff is really friendly and laid back, but for the same price you get a get big, airy, clean room n town.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

Intimate and personable, the Hotel Lys is a small hostel-like property right on the beach in Montezuma. There is a "patio" out front on the sand under a large umbrella-type awning, which is a perfect place for meals, relaxing or just people watching. The staff is friendly and helpful, fluent in Spanish, Italian and English. Every night they serve a family-style dinner, which was delicious and entertaining -- my first night 12 different countries were represented at the table -- fascinating! The accommodations are basic, but you can't beat the price or the view!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo

Been to Hostel Lys? Share your experiences!