“Scorpion City!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Los Pinos - Cabanas y Jardines

You added Los Pinos - Cabanas y Jardines to your Saves list
Los Pinos - Cabanas y Jardines
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   200 East Public School of Cerro Plano, Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve 77-5655, Costa Rica   |
Denver
“Scorpion City!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

The place was nice, cute, staff was nice at first, until we had problems.
When we got to our room we were missing part of the coffee machine, and safe-instructions, had to call them for it..

Anyways, I was reading in bed at night and heard something shuffling by my head, I turn and look and its a big scorpion, feet away from my head. NOT comforting!!!
So I catch it, and release it outside in the forest.
Now we are not going to sleep well, so we start looking around, LOTS OF SCORPIONS EVERYWHERE!
There was a monther-scorpion with babies on her back on the ceilling,
another scorpion under furniture, lots of spider webs and spiders.

We decided we wanted to leave early, we complained about all the critters, and they just said 'oh' and wouldn't let us out of paying for the last night which we weren't going to stay.

So we leave, are driving, and decide we need something out of our luggage.
We pull over, pop the trunk, I pull out a piece of luggage, open it, and ANOTHER SCORPION had hitched a ride in our luggage, FROM LOS PINOS!
When the scorpion saw me, it hid in the clothes in the luggage. So All i could do was zip up and close the bag, until we made it to our next destination.
We ended up having to empty all our luggage/bags, go through our cloths one by one until we found the scorpion and set it free.

TOO MANY SCORPIONS IN OUR ROOM!!!
Part of the problem is that ALL windows DONT HAVE SCREENS! yes its nice that there are no mosquitos at that altitude, but there are lots of scorpions coming into the room.

The fact that staff wouldn't let us not-pay for that extra day, is messed up. You are so lucky i'm not a little girl or granny, i caught and released the scorpions, but if you kept the rooms cleaner, and put screens on the windows, it wouldn't be a problem.
NEver again,
and if you don't like critters, DONT STAY HERE!!!

-Scared, ps, i have pictures to prove everything.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Monteverde
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

My husband and I were studying at the Spanish language nearby. We decided that we were not well suited for home study. One day after class, my husband and I walked up a shady lane adjacent to the school with beautiful landscaping and private little cabins scattered here and there. A handsome young man named Rafael soon greeted us, introducing himself as the manager and explaining the origin of this delightful property. It is family owned and they have a right to be very proud of what they have done. We fell in love with the first cabin he showed us and promptly moved in. Now we were home! Our little cabin was stocked with everything you could possibly need, including a full kitchen, a large round dining table where we could study, a big comfy bed, a living room and even cable TV! Everything was neat and clean and quiet.

As we got to know Rafael, we learned that he had just returned from the little town of Fairhope, Al. that we live in. There is a connection between Monteverde and Fairhope that is too complicatd to repeat here, but it has to do with Quakers that live in our area who were pacifists and had gone to jail for their beliefs. When they were released, 3 or 4 of them went looking in North America (by car, in the early 50's!) for a place where they could live their lives and farm and raise cattle. They found Monteverde and stayed. Rafael knows the family well, and arranged a meeting with one of the original settlers. Well into his eighties, this man was still sharp as a tack. We have Rafael to thank for this meeting and all the other amenities and friendship he showed us.

Obviously, we can't say enough good things about our friend, his family and his Cloud Forest Resort. We can't wait to return to enjoy the magic of Rafael and his Magic Los Pinos Cabanas! When you go, please tell him his amigos from Fairhope send him all the best. Dee & Mikey Jones

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

I enjoyed my stay at Los Pinos in Monteverde. It was very clean and quiet. The staff, especially Rafael, was extremely helpful and honest about activities throughout the area. He also set up transportation and adventures for our group of five. If I visit the area again, I would definitely stay at Los Pinos, and I would certainly recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

I only stayed one night here in my CR tour. The rooms were quite large and comfortable.
We had 8 in our group so we shared one cabin with three bedrooms. They each had a separate bathroom which was quite convenient.
The kitchen was well stocked with all the cooking stuff you'd need. Of course, food items were easily purchased in town. The taxi ride was only about 2000 colones.
The only issue we had was with the shower drains, it did not drain for a very long time. Although the showers were pretty clean, I rather not have my feet in that water for an extended period of time.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
central alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2009

The best amenity was Rafael. His parents own the business and he runs the facility. He treats the guests like they are staying at his home. He speaks very good english. We spoke very little spanish. So this was a huge plus. I thought the facilities were a little dated but rustic ...just like the country. You don't see a lot of 5 stars facilities in Cost Rica. You do how ever see a lot of questionable places, so Los Pinos was right at the top of the "Just Right" list. I felt safe not only at Los Pinos, but in Monteverde. The grounds were beautiful and well kept. The location was close enough to Santa Elena that you could get to places quickly but far enough away from town that you didn't feel "cramped". I will continue to use Los Pinos as my 'home away from home' when I am in Costa Rica. Rafael, Los Pinos and Monteverde continue to be my best memories of our trip to Cost rica. Pura Vida!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Hartford, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

Los Pinos is a gem in the jungle. (OK, Rainforest) We stayed there 3 nights and couldn't be more happy. The cabins are clean, neat and private. We could not even see another cabin from ours. The surrounding grounds are beautiful and well kept. Location is great and we were able to walk to a number of good eateries and to a grocery store to buy some wine and snacks.
Rafael is the consummate proprietor. He is a genuinely nice guy, extremely helpful and courteous. There is no doubt he will take the time to help with your concerns.
Highly recommended if value and service are high on your list of priorities.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Broomfield, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

Rafael-
Thank you for your hospitality when we visited Monte Verde. We loved our cabin..It was clean, well cared for and the kitchen had exactly what we needed for our stay. Visiting Los Pinos was like visiting a park! We love the beautiful flowers and trees and the quiet private setting. I only wish that we had had more time to spend with you.

We also appreciated your personalized attention and concern that our visit to the area be the best possible. We enjoyed your recommendations for attractions and restaurants in the area and felt that we were part of your family.

We hope to come back again some time soon!

Marge and John Fajardo, Broomfield, Colorado

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Los Pinos - Cabanas y Jardines? Share your experiences!