We spent three nights here with our five-year old son and infant daughter. In keeping with the spirit of the Monteverde region and its eco-tourism, the focus at this property is very much on conservation and sustainability rather than luxury. To this end, the accommodations are modest and low-key - to the point of being austere - but still comfortable enough for an enjoyable stay.
Families and larger groups will appreciate the extra space that separate cabins provide, and they are spaced nicely around the property, making it difficult to disturb other guests. The site is well manicured, and offers the unique bonus of a working hydroponic farm operation on-site, with delicious lettuces, tomatoes, cucumbers, and herbs that are free for guests to pick. There are is also a small trail network, decent children's playground, and ample safe space for kids to run around.
The cabins themselves are older, and although everything is in good repair, the property is starting to show its age a bit and would benefit from a minor refresh. Towels and linens are on the scratchy side, the beds squeak, and the rooms are a bit dark and depressing at night. While I applaud the goal of reducing electricity consumption, more modern lamps and fixtures could brighten things up considerably while still conserving energy. Also, putting the refrigerator on a simple timer that shuts the thing off all night instead of allowing it to cycle more frequently is a little extreme from a food safety perspective. We had to store milk and dairy for our kids in there, so I just removed the timer for the duration of our stay.
Staff were generally pleasant and responsive, helping us to arrange tours and guides without any hassle or trouble.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Los Pinos and felt that it met our expectations in terms of providing a unique and outdoorsy Monteverde experience. Compared to other, more luxurious hotels in the area, this property at the price we paid offered great value, especially since we were travelling with young children and needed the space and amenities it provided.
I would definitely recommend it to other families or large groups, but if I was travelling solo or as a couple, I think it would probably make sense to look elsewhere.
- Also Known As:
- Los Pinos - Cabanas y Jardines Hotel Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve
- Los Pinos - Cabanas y Jardines Hotel
- Los Pinos Cabanas y Jardines
- Los Pinos - Cabanas y Jardines Monteverde, Costa Rica
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in an amazing ecotourism destination between the Santa Elena and Monteverde Reserve, our comfortable cabanas provide easy access to all that this area has to offer including hiking, horseback riding, canopy tours, suspension bridges, frog ponds, butterfly gardens and the opportunity to view the flora and fauna of this unique, Monteverde climate. After a day’s adventures we invite you to relax in our beautiful gardens and enjoy a cup of coffee in our fully furnished cabins. Enjoy Monteverde Cloud Forest nature lodging at its best! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with T4B so you can book your Los Pinos - Cabanas y Jardines reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.