“Exciting (almost too much excitement)” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Selvatura Park

Selvatura Park
San Gerardo Cloud Forest Reserve., Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve 106-5655, Costa Rica
506 2645-5929
Website
Improve this listing
Type: Parks, Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Selvatura Park is one of the best nature and adventure parks in Costa Rica with a wide variety of activities including: Canopy Tour, Treetop Walkways, Butterfly Garden, Insect Exhibition, Hummingbird Garden, Reptile and Amphibian Exhibition and an excellent restaurant where you can combine activities and have the absolute best experience in the Cloud Forests of Monteverde.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Midland, Texas
34 attraction reviews
“Exciting (almost too much excitement)”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

The good:
Zipping above the trees was amazing!! Thirteen platforms of ziplines.. It was definitely an adrenaline rush. Tarzan swing was amazing.

The scary:
A lady in our group almost fell from a platform (over 100meters above the tree line) when a staff member failed to attach her safety line and didn't get her pulley assembly on the zipline correctly. She never realized how close she came to death, but it was a VERY close call. If not for some very quick action of three staff members on the platform she would have fallen to her death.

Made me wonder about the legal disclosure they have you sign before you get your gear and exactly what their safety record is the rest of the zipline

Advise:
If you choose to zipline, make sure that you're safety line is ALWAYS attached to the platform, zipline, etc. If you are traveling with children make sure they are also attached--

Would I recommend this activity?? Depends...it may be relatively safe, however with the near miss we witnessed I would advise with caution.
I wouldn't do it again.

Visited March 2011

Hubbard Lake
“You've GOT to do the Canopy Tour (Ziplining)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

Wow....what an adrenaline rush! Our group of four spent my husband's 63rd birthday ziplining and on the Tarzan swing. The guides help get you into your harness and the instruction beforehand was very thorough. They were also very talkative with our group, which was great! We felt like we were in good hands with our guides.

It was raining so we were quite drenched by the time we finished but wouldn't have missed this adventure for anything!!!!

I still get tingles thinking about it--and it's been nearly two months since that day!!!!!

Visited January 2011
New York City, New York
34 attraction reviews
“Surpassed expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

Selvatura is a "park" which encompasses all of the typical C.R. Monteverde attractions at a price: zip-lining (aka canopy tour), hanging bridges (aka walking through the forest canopy), zoo (reptiles, insects, butterflies), and a hummingbird area. Like most Monteverde attractions, they will pick you up and drop you off from anywhere in the area. They have different prices for different package combinations. I did everything but the zip-lines. The prices are fairly consistent with other attractions.

I went there on an afternoon after doing the Santa Elena reserve in the morning. Selvatura is immediately down the hill from Santa Elena, so it's easy to do both places in the same day. Selvatura is very nice for a half-day, but you really need an entire day there imho. In the afternoon (after a rainy morning), the crowds were non-existent. I was by myself much of the time.

The zoo part consists of guided "tours" (you can't start a tour on your own, but you can wander on your own when the tour is done). The reptile house is ok. The insect house is incredible. I can spend a month there happily, plus the guy who put everything together ("Mr. Richard") is fun to talk to. The butterfly garden is huge! It's nice because it's so huge, but being such a large area, it's a little difficult to chase down the butterflies! The hummingbird garden is nice, but it's no comparison to the amount of bird traffic that I saw at Monteverde reserve. On the other hand, there's a zip line right above the hummingbird area where people often get stuck and scream for help (extremely entertaining).

Everyone I talked to about their zip-line and the hanging bridges walk enjoyed it. There's a shop, a restaurant, and a hotel there as well.

Navasota, Texas
20 attraction reviews
“Selvatura - woohoo!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

The zip lines were not as scary as I expected, but there were a few "moments" in the middle of some of the lines in wind. I said I would not do the Tarzan Swing but after I saw one of the zip guys demo it, I changed my mind. Amazing - exciting - wonderful - (can't think of better words, and I'm no spring chicken either:)

Orlando, Florida
10 attraction reviews
“What a Rush”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

The zip lining was crazy fun! Once you're up on your first platform, just go with it. You'll love it, not that strenuous and what a wonderful view you'll have. Very exhilirating.

Lots of other cool things at the park, too. Hanging bridges, hummingbirds, butterfuly exhibit, etc.