Monteverde Butterfly Garden (Jardin de Mariposas)
Near Pension Monteverde Inn | On road to Monteverde, Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, Costa Rica
2645-5512
Website
Improve this listing
Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$1,259*
and up
11-Day Tour from San Jose: Monteverde Cloud...
Type: Gardens, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: The Monteverde Butterfly Gardens has been teaching people about the marvels of insects and arachnids for over 20 years. Our mission has always been to change the way people view these small but fantastically diverse animals. It is not hard either- with 4 different butterfly habitats housing up to 30 species of butterfly, a leaf cutter ant colony and over 20 species of live Costa Rican insects and arachnids in our nature centre we have something that will melt the heart of even the most devout bug crusher! A dedicated and passionate group of staff and volunteers will guide you on a tour through our three acre facility where you will see just some of the amazing insects and arachnids Costa Rica has to offer! The property is lush and full of other Costa Rican favourites such as capuchin monkeys and agoutis! Birders will not be disappointed with wrens galore and common visits from Keel Billed toucan, blue crowned motmot and the occasional appearance of the famed bell bird. We are open 365 days a year, so drop by whenever you can!
Oxford, Mississippi, USA
“super”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

beautiful butterflies, great informative talk by a visiting researcher--and I loved holding the shed exoskeleton of a tarantula.

Buenos Aire
“Nice, but not great.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

The place has four gardens with different species of butterflies. It's nice, but quite expensive for what it is. The guide didn't seem to know a lot about them, and he was pretty nervous.. but it was one more experience. I recommend to do other activities before this one.

Bryna B, Owner at Monteverde Butterfly Garden (Jardin de Mariposas), responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Hello Celeste,

I am so sorry you came away from your tour at the garden not 100% satisfied! Do you mind letting me know if your tour was in English or Spanish?

I also apologize that you felt our guide did not know all that much. They go through weeks of training before every doing a tour, but the reality is- there over a million species of insect species on this planet, so at the end of the day we can't answer every question.

We teach our guides to say "I don't know" when they don't know. My personal experience in many establishments and reserves has been to have a guide make something up so that they provide an answer. Here at the gardens we value true scientific knowledge and ensure that everything we say is fact checked! This does however lead to unanswered questions at times. After studying Entomology and doing this for years I still tell people " I don't know" every day.

I am sincerely sorry and I hope that you can let me know what we can do to insure better tours in the future.

Bryna Belsile
Owner
Plano, Texas
“Great for kids ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We didn't know what to expect and were very surprised. The tour was great. The guide was very knowledgeable and made the visit great for us. Highly recommended, especially with kids. Lots of things to see in addition to butterfly.

Kelowna
15 attraction reviews
“Pleasantly surprised - super enjoyable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I really loved this tour! I didn't know what to expect going into it but it was so enjoyable learned about the different butterflies and their different quirky habits. It was neat seeing the different environments that the different butterflies preferred as well. It is such a pretty spot and the view from the balcony is so beautiful. Our guide, Christina was awesome too!! :D

Cantley, Canada
“A surprisingly educational tour, a new look at insects after that”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

We went for the Butterflys but learned so much more. The rest of our trip I was looking for insects in the jungle and please to know so much about them. Our guide was great, a young student from New Brunswick who loves bugs and picking them up to show us all sides. The owner is a nice fellow and I enjoyed talking to him as well.
This is a nice break from the sun and touring.