“Worth a look” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Reserve

Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Reserve
35 km (22 mi) southeast of Tilaran | 167 km (104 mi) northwest of San Jose, Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve 55-5655, Costa Rica
2645-5123
Vancouver, Canada
8 attraction reviews
“Worth a look”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This was amazing. A must see when you're in Monteverde. We had a great time. Make sure you have a guide. They're great for pointing out animals you wouldn't otherwise see and giving you facts about the area. we saw howler monkeys, white faced monkeys and lots of endangered birds.

Visited June 2013

Montreal, Canada
8 attraction reviews
“Beautiful and great trails for hikers and non-hikers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Went to the Cloud Forest in April, 2013. Good maps, easy to follow trails. If you are especially interested in bird sighting I would recommend a guide.The guides have a type of small telescope they can adjust to look up the tree canopy. If it is your first time in a rain/tropical forest, a guide will make the experience much more enjoyable by explaining the different flora. There is an organic wholeness to it that is impressive.
The cloud forest is simply beautiful. There are hiking paths that are basically flat; I have asthma which doesn't like humidity and had no trouble doing the flat hikes. There are also more challenging trails. Give yourself as much time as you can as this is a complex forest with so much to see. I was there during tourist season and there were not many people on the trails. I didn't see animals; my experience with seeing animals is to find them in a refuge/zoo or a place where people feed them. The animals in the Monteverde Cloud Forest are wild and not fed by people.

Visited April 2013
Colorado
3 attraction reviews
“Stay here if you are going to the cloud forest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Lots of people come to the cloud forest and there is virtually no parking. So you can end up hiking a long way on a wet road. If you stay here, problem solved. The rooms are average in quality and you do overpay based on quality. But you are right there. A big problem is that the rooms at the first level with private baths are right under the dining area, that gets noisy very early. Upstairs in the hostel area you don't have that problem. The breakfast is ok. Lunch is tolerable. Dinner is pretty nice - ours was at the local restaurant that caters the food at the lodge. But you are treated on the cheap. Only some selections, desserts, etc. Cut down on the enjoyment. The forest is wet all the time and raining most of the time and we were there in dry season. So bring appropriate clothing and good walking boots. The crowds drive out most of the wildlife so you won't see as much as you expect. But the forest is an impressive place with huge trees. A true micro climate. We got down into town and it was sunny. Kind of hard to find and get to this place. Roads are intimidating - much up and down, wetness, a lot of vehicles. We drove from the Pan American highway. The road borders on out and out scary but some great views. Then we drove to Fortuna - that road, billed as horrible, was not as bad and is a beautiful drive. Whether you have a car or are in a bus/taxi, the drive from St. Elena to La Fortuna is stunning most of the way. You could easily take a thousand photos on the way.

Studio City, CA
13 attraction reviews
“Give yourself plenty of time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We were on a bit of a schedule and did a short hike through the Cloud Forest Preserve. While it was lovely, we are certain it would have been better had we had more time for a longer hike. It is relatively pricey ($18 per person) to enter the park, and only having an hour may not be the best use of your money.

Visited June 2013
Glen Ellen, California
3 attraction reviews
“See resplendent quetzals in the misty, magical forest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I have been to this reserve twice. It really is a beautiful place. The trail system is well developed and easy to follow. My first trip I went with a general guide named Bernald who was very wonderful and found many things for us to see that I would have walked right past unless I had been with someone with a trained eye and a intimate familiarity with the reserve. I highly recommend hiring one of the local guides. We saw a beautiful resplendent quetzal within the first 10 minutes of the walk the first visit and saw another before even leaving the parking lot on the morning of my second visit. The second visit we were with a guide named Adrian that specializes in birding and we were not disappointed. We saw many wonderful species that day.

Both visits we spent time with a guide and then spent additional time walking the trails and exploring on our own. The trail to the waterfall is a nice easy hike. The trail out to the bridge is a little climbing but not too strenuous. I saw more quetzals out in that area - one flew circles around me while I stood by myself on the bridge. It was a magical moment for this bird lover. We also saw emerald toucanets in this area. The hike to the high point - the continental divide is nice but because of the clouds that form we did not have any views.

A must see is the hummingbird garden across the parking area from the reserve entrance. They have many feeders up there and you can get some great photo opportunities of the many varieties of hummingbirds in this area. The little cafe there also has good coffee, hot chocolate and snacks. There are many public and private reserves in the Monteverde Cloud Forest area and they all have a bit of a different feel but all are wonderful to visit and this reserve is no exception. My first visit here was with a friend in April 2012. My second visit was with my boyfriend in October 2012.

Visited October 2012