“Weird Nature Guide, Beautiful Surroundings” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Reserve

Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Reserve
35 km (22 mi) southeast of Tilaran | 167 km (104 mi) northwest of San Jose, Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve 55-5655, Costa Rica
2645-5123
Website
Update attraction details
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas
Attraction Details
New York City, New York
9 attraction reviews
“Weird Nature Guide, Beautiful Surroundings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The reserve is amazing and it's absolutely worth spending time there. We booked a tour through the reserve itself, which was supposed to leave at 7:30 bit didn't leave until almost 8 am because other tourists in the group arrived so late. That was frustrating, and then our guide was rather awkward. He shaped the whole tour as if it was a class session, asking US all the questions about the cloud forest and its flora and fauna. Obviously we were there to have him share his knowledge with us -- not make us guess for answers! -- so it wasn't as informative as it could be. Might be worth booking a tour with a private guide to get more out of this very special place.

Visited December 2012

Chicago, Illinois
5 attraction reviews
“a must see”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Simply beautiful. Words can't describe the beauty - you have to see it for yourself, experience it. Bring binoculars to see all all the varieties of wildlife especially the birds. Don't miss the hummingbird garden.

Visited November 2012
Houston, Texas
5 attraction reviews
“Wish I had spent more time here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

First and Second groth forest, in the clouds. I only got to cover a very small portion of the reserve due to scheduling. in around 3 hours picked up ~15 Life Birds. Whish I had more time. George, our guide was patient with an old man who pushed a desk instead of a trecking stick.

Visited December 2012
Calgary
“Fulfilling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My 12 year old son and I signed up for the early morning birding tour, this was well worth it! Our guide was incredibly knowledgeable, and we learned and saw so much! 6 hours of somebody talking to us and showing us the bird life - incredible. The forest itself is, of course, incredible also, and well worth a visit even without the bird tour, especially if you're not so enthusiastic about birds that you would get up to start a tour at 6:00 a.m......

Visited May 2012
3 attraction reviews
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

I did this walk and had practically the whole place to myself! I timed it along the skywalks so I wasn't close to any tour groups. It was so peaceful. I didn't see a lot of animals though. My friends did the night walk and saw loads of wildlife so maybe that's a better option. Great anyway. Bring a raincoat because it gets chilly!