The last time I went to Monteverde, with a group of American tourists, to see the Cloud Forest Reserve, we had dropped their bags in the hotel, without them seeing it. After hours of following a great guide, through this enchanting forest, seeing hundreds of birds, looking for the rarest in the world, we tramped back, feet covered in mud, I reminded the group that they had hot showers to look forward to, with great food, and a very large jacuzzi, outdoors, to share! One of the party asked if there was any air-conditioning! With cool misty conditions, high in the mountains, air conditioning was the last thing we needed!
Back at the Lodge, everyone else had a fantastic experience, with a guide making a presentation, fine food, and the Lodge is perfectly run by a world-famous Tour Operator, Costa Rica Expeditions, whose founder is still called "The Godfather of Ecotourism" The staff are mainly local, well-trained, and remarkably friendly. The Lodge prides itself on being 100% sustainable.
This is about as far removed from a mass-holiday resort as it is possible to be. Do take time to visit the nearby Monteverde community - the descendants of a group of American Quakers who fled to Costa Rica to escape religious persecution in the US. The community make wooden furniture, and have a dairy farm that supplies most of the country.
This country, which is 97% Catholic, and mre religious than average, is also exceptionally educated, and amazingly laid-back and tolerant of minorities, and serves as missionary base for dozens of different faiths, who go all over the Americas.
It is best to come here in a small private group, with your own expert guide, still good to come in a slightly larger group of about 16-20 people, but I do not recommend driving up these unpaved roads on your own.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located at 4,600 ft. above sea level on the edge of the world's best-known mid-elevation cloud forest, Monteverde Lodge is the expression of Costa Rica Expeditions' desire to create the ultimate lodging experience for the discerning nature traveler. Monteverde Lodge offers two room types: Forest View Downstairs Rooms and Upstairs Balcony Rooms. Forest View Balcony Rooms have two double beds and double doors leading out to your own private balcony, where two wicker chairs and a coffee table encourage you to sit and watch for life in the cloud forest. Forest View Downstairs Rooms also offer two double beds. These rooms have corner bay windows with the same seating arrangement as the upstairs balconies. This alcove is designed to put you in the forest while still within your room. Both upstairs and downstairs rooms have glass enclosed showers, solar heated hot water, in-room safe, hot water, coffee maker, alarm clock, ceiling fan, reading lamps, hair dryer and laundry bag. All rooms have free wireless internet. The main entry of Monteverde Lodge includes a glass cathedral entry, high wooden ceilings, an open fireplace, restaurant, bar, and 15-person hot tub. There are comfortable sofas in the bar, reading room and on the garden terrace. There is a computer room with three computers for guest use and wireless connection throughout the public areas of the hotel. The landscaping is designed to bring the flora and fauna of the cloud forest to the doorstep of the hotel. Plan on spending a morning or afternoon to wander in the 15 year old garden that includes Imperial Bromeliads, Costa Rica’s national flower the Guarianthe skinneri orchid and hedges of Blue porter weed and Lantana where butterflies feed. Location: after passing World of Insects on the left, take the right fork in the road, 500 meters to the entrance of the lodge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with T4B, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Monteverde Lodge & Gardens reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Monteverde Lodge & Gardens Hotel Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve
- Monteverde Lodge And Gardens
- Monteverde Hotel Gardens
- Gardens Hotel Monteverde
- Monteverde Lodge & Gardens Costa Rica