“Take care” 2 of 5 stars

Rochester, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“Take care”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Didn't actually do the trip as advised by hotel staff not to. Stories on someone dying are true and there are loose rocks etc. until someone posts someone to say that these rocks have been somehow cleared it just shouldn't be visited. I would suggest that however oversees the waterfall posts something once they think it is safe?

Visited April 2013

Brighton, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
“A beautiful trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

A really lovely waterfall and a nice hike to get to it, the sheer scale of it is breathtaking. Once we arrived my boyfriend and I had a refreshing dip in the cool waters, it felt very remote and we hardly saw another person there the whole time, really peaceful and lovely.

Visited April 2012
Monteverde, Costa Rica
11 attraction reviews
“bad news.....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

after i saw one of the last review "we almost died, no jokes" , i think that it's important to wrote what happened one day after.....
really bad news...a woman died in the waterfall, she was with a group of studends and some rocks falling killed her.
really bad if we think that the authority (minae) asked at the owner of this private land to close to the public long time ago.....money ..money..money...

Malmesbury
10 attraction reviews
“Not as good as expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Perhaps we are just people who don't appreciate a good waterfall when we see one but didn't think this lived up to the reviews at all. The walk is short so you don't feel,like you've had a good hike and when you get there it's a fairly average waterfall. Not worth the cost of entry although it should be noted we went when there ad been very little rain so it probably wasn't at its best.

Victoria, Canada
16 attraction reviews
“We Almost Died, No Jokes...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

NOTE: THIS HIKE HAS VERY SERIOUS SAFETY CONCERNS AT THIS MOMENT DUE TO ROCK INSTABILITY FOLLOWING THE LARGE CR EARTHQUAKE A FEW MONTHS AGO!!!!

My parents, my sister and I decided to take a trip up to the Monteverde/Santa Elena Cloud Forests on March 6-7, 2013. We arrived in Monteverde at 130pm on March 6 and decided to check out the San Luis Waterfall to kill the afternoon. I had read several reviews on Trip Advisor and found it to be a perfect afternoon hike/walk.

We arrived and the Reception lady was welcoming and we paid our $40 fee ($10 per person) to access the waterfall through private lands. The walk was not strenuous or difficult, and quite a nice hike. It was very misty/rainy out and fairly windy which made the trail muddy in sections. We crossed several make shift bridges over the river until we reached an opening in the jungle. Apparently this was the last corner before the waterfall and swimming area.

I was quite suspicious of this area because it was cleared of all vegetation and there was a vertical cliff wall up to our right. I noticed a lot of rock debris on either side of the trail and it looked like it was recently cleared. I noticed some small rocks (size of small watermelons) coming down the cliff and bouncing right over the trail. I told my mom, dad, and sister to stay back while I looked a little closer. My dad bunked down and leaned against and tree and my mom and sister sat on an adjacent log. As I moved into the middle of this open area (as I was constantly looking up), a HUGE section of the cliff broke off and we had a rockfall on our hands right above our heads. As the rocks came crashing down towards us, this time they we were the size of car tires, we had to move or we would be instantly killed. I ran off in one direction and dove against a separate smaller cliff face and my dad grabbed my mom and sister dove the other way into the forest just as the rocks smashed into the tree and logs they were just resting on. NO ONE WAS HURT, but if we had sat around we would have been killed; a whole family wiped out in an instant. I quickly clammered over the debris and found the rest of my family on the other side. We all hugged and got the hell out of there as quickly as we could! We didn't even get to see the water fall after all that. On our way out, we told every passing group what happened to us and gave them the fair warning, but they all continued on their way as if no big deal.

There was no warning signs...no "watch for falling rocks" signs...no heads up from the reception lady at the beginning. NOTHING AT ALL, as if there was no danger at all...

When we got back to the Reception Lady, I told her what happened, and she was very understanding and apologetic. She refunded me our money and she told me she would close the trail. (who knows if she actually did). There was a big of a language barrier between us but I think we understood each other with my adrenaline-filled voice, hand gestures, and body movements! She said the large earthquake loosened the cliff rocks and rock scalers has removed all the loose debris and deemed it safe. Apparently not...

The next day, we were on a Ziplining tour and we were in a shuttle bus with a couple living with a Tico family in Monteverde. The Tico family had told them not to do the waterfall hike because it was still VERY dangerous following this last earthquake. Any small tremors or aftershocks could send more rocks down. This info would have been nice to know sooner...

I hope this helps with your trip planning, please HIKE AT YOUR OWN RISK, and really consider the benefits of seeing a waterfall vs. your life. If anything did happen, remember you are in the middle of a jungle, and help or first aid/emergency services would not be available for at least 2-3 hours...

Happy Travelling! I wouldn't recommend this hike at this time.