“Five stars for everything!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hidden Canopy Treehouses Boutique Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve
Hidden Canopy Treehouses Boutique Hotel
Save Saved
You added Hidden Canopy Treehouses Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
300m este del cruce Camino Sky Trek | Santa Elena, Monteverde, Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, Costa Rica   |
Announcement
Five Years Hidden!!!!!!
sydney
“Five stars for everything!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

There are a few places in the world where the accommodation is actually one of the major attractions of the region. This is one of them!

The Hotel - Each room is a unique structure built to the height of the trees. There is much to be admired in the design of these tree houses. They are simply stunning!

Service - All the good things you will read about Jenn in other reviews are all true. She has found her true calling and she is an amazing host. We felt instantly at home and relaxed when we arrived. Jenn truly cares for all her staff, and that is why all the staff, in turn, truly cares about the service they render to the guests. There's plenty of good advice on activities, restaurants, cafes, etc.

Sleep quality - paradise in the clouds!

Location - the hotel is a $5 cab ride to the town centre where there are several attractions, restuarants and cafes. It is also quite close to the Cloud Forest Reserve.

Activities - Jenn's staff can easily organise tours to the national park, night walks and cafe tours.

Room Tip: Chat or email Jenn to discuss your specific requirements. She'll sort you out!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

513 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I stayed at Hidden Canopy for three nights in early January on a belated honeymoon. My husband and I were in the Clouds room for two nights, and the Eden treehouse for one night. Jenn upgraded us for the last night because her father was coming to visit, arriving on our last night there, and he wanted to stay in Clouds room. My one comment on this is that it felt like a bit of a backhanded "upgrade"; her staff member showing us to our new room tried to spin it as if Jenn was doing us a favor giving us a nicer accommodation on the last night, even stating several times that we wouldn't have to pay for this, and that it was a "gift" from Jenn. The treehouse was indeed beautiful and unique, but it was also somewhat of a hassle for us to have to pack up as if we were moving locations, only to move to a different room. In the end, I am glad that we experienced both the in-house room and the treehouse, but it would have been nice if it had been treated less as a favor that Jenn was bestowing upon us and more as us being accommodating to her needs, which it indeed was.
That said, we enjoyed each night at Hidden Canopy; the property itself is striking, beautifully planned and kept, and tastefully decorated. My husband and I didn't mind the location, as we felt fine walking to and from town during the day; we even walked a longer-than-expected hike to Selvatura park, up the road, which made for a fun, if tiring, afternoon.
Happy hours are indeed a nice perk, and breakfasts were tasty and quickly served in the gorgeous common room overlooking the Nicoya gulf and the surrounding cloud forest. My only additional less-than-enthusiastic comment about Hidden Canopy is that Jenn appears to be quite domineering of your time, activities, and dining options. A staff member circulates happy hour with a signup sheet, asking guests in which activities they will be participating. Some guests surely like having these things planned for them, but my husband and I are usually more independent in our travels, and we had to stand firmly in saying "no" to the activities that we were being pushed towards. For example, we went on a rainforest walk with Kokie, which was fantastic. He was incredibly well-informed, friendly, and professional. On our way out of Hidden Canopy before the tour, Jenn told us that we should go to the Argentine restaurant and bat exhibit after our walk with Kokie. I had mixed feelings about this, because I wanted to do other things, but I said that we would see how we felt after the tour. Jenn told Kokie to drop us off at the restaurant (the same business/location as the bat jungle) after the tour. Kokie did this; this restaurant/exhibit is a bit of a hike outside Santa Elena, so there weren't a lot of other options nearby and we felt compelled to eat at the restaurant, even though it seemed overpriced and not really "Argentine" aside from offering a smattering of empanadas. After eating lunch, we decided to opt out of the bat jungle, instead walking into town to go to the serpentarium. Both Kokie and Jenn asked us later if we had gone to the bat jungle, making it pretty clear that they likely receive a good commission from the bat jungle. As I said earlier, as more independent travelers, my husband and I did not love this aspect of our stay at Hidden Canopy. However, if you don't mind feeling steered towards certain (probably commission-driven) sites, restaurants, and activities, then this won't be a problem.
One more note: my husband and I went on the night tour offered by staff member Olman, which was $50 for the two of us. This tour was a bit of a joke. At one point, I asked Olman a question, and he replied "I could tell you something, but I would be lying at you." This guy didn't seem to know a lot about the flora and fauna of the cloud forest, unlike the wonderful Kokie, and his tour was mostly him silently guiding us through a dark forest, spotlighting the various raccoon-like tree creatures that were abundant. I would have payed maybe $10/person for this tour; we realized its inferiority the next day when we were with someone (Kokie) who truly understood and wanted to share the beauty and wonder of the cloud forest with those on his tour.
Overall, this was a fantastic experience; the little things I point out are just that: details. The overall experience of Hidden Canopy is an overwhelmingly positive one, and I would stay here again if I were to go back to Costa Rica. I would recommend it to any friend or family member, but I would warn that you have to stand your ground if you want to do your own itinerary that doesn't included restaurants, businesses, and tours that are endorsed by Hidden Canopy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rochester Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Jennifer is a great host and makes you feel like you are family. Love the sunset/happy hour, a great touch. One of the most unique places we have stayed. The property is clean and the service was excellent

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I cannot say enough good things about this place! If you stay here you will be talking about it for years, like I will. The "tree houses" are amazing, all different and all wonderful. You will not believe the inlaid wood everywhere and a shower that pours like a waterfall. The view from the main house was also breathtaking. Glass windows 360 degrees let in streaming light and hummingbirds flew everywhere. In the morning they served the most delicious french toast I have every tasted! Jenn and her staff made our stay. They were kind and helpful, catering to our every whim. They even ordered food from local restaurants to have it delivered when we were coming back from a hike and were too tired to go out. Oh and P.S. You absolutely MUST go on a guided hike with Koki, who is an independent guide but who is treated like family by Jenn and her staff. His knowledge of the rain forest and his ability to spot wildlife is unparalleled. Since it was Christmas, the whole staff created a huge meal for us, and the whole group of 12 guests, staff and Jenn sat down together for a lovely meal. They even set off fireworks! It was the highlight of our trip, and I will never forget the experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

When our American friends said they were planning to get married in Four Seasons Costa Rica, we jumped at the chance to join them.
A university friend had visited Costa Rica in 2010 so I asked him where he'd recommend we go before the wedding. He said "You can't go to Costa Rica without staying at Hidden Canopy with Jenn and her team" I want to pass on the recommendation - it's really like nowhere we've ever been before. You must go, it's fab.
My husband and I, the bride and groom and 6 of their family and friends visited Monteverde during late November 2012. We arrived in to Liberia and took transfers from the airport with Ray (Tours Your Way - also highly recommended!). The first 30 minutes were relatively smooth - and the remaining 3 hours were rather bumpy! (I'd suggest you consider a 4 x 4 transfer...). Without a doubt, Hidden Canopy was worth the journey. From the moment we walked in, we were taken care of. We felt like special guests in Jenn's very unique home.
We arrived just after the usual afternoon tea schedule and Jenn kindly extended times to welcome us. She also arranged takeout our first evening and extended her house opening hour beyond 8pm to accommodate our group. Jenn is wonderful.
The tree houses were fantastic. Our group stayed in a number of them as well as in the main house. I think my favourite was Rising Sun. They were all wonderful. The views were amazing and there was wildlife literally everywhere.
The main house has a view to die for. We spent hours just sitting in the verranda area watching the sunsets, rain and mist.
Jenn offers a wide range of local tours, trips etc. through her contacts. We did a local coffee tour which was very interesting and then we took an organised trip in to the cloudforest with Koki. What a talented guy. We managed to get amazing photos of different types of Toucans, Mot Mot, Sloth, Coati Munde and some giant hamster I can't remember the name of! His knowledge of the local wildlife, vegetation and history was exceptional. At one point, he was calling the birds and they were responding - very surreal.
If you're looking for a unique place to stay in Costa Rica, you can't get much better than Hidden Canopy!

Room Tip: All rooms are special! Rising Sun is particularly pretty.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Just returned from Costa Rica after spending the last 3 nights in Neverland Treehouse at Hidden Canopy. This place was way beyond our best expectations. The location is amazing, although a long bumpy ride to get to Monteverde. I wouldn't want to make that drive in a rental car. We hired a driver. Jen is a wonderful host and the staff is outstanding. Breakfast and tea time provided great food and beverages and views from the main house. The staff will schedule private tour guides who are very knowledgeable and give suggestions on activities, restaurants, taxi service, etc. If you are going to Monteverde this is the place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I'm not much of a reviewer, but my stay at Hidden Canopy really was one of the first places that made me want to rush to a computer and tell the whole world how great this place is.

Hidden Canopy is really not just a great boutique hotel, but a wonderful experience altogether. The staff is unlike any other and really tries to make your stay a relaxing and enjoyable one. My boyfriend and I stayed at the newest Glade treehouse on the property. Hidden Canopy had definitely exceeded our expectations!

Although it is a bed and breakfast, Hidden Canopy has several ordering in options that make it as stress-free as possible to their guests. I'm usually an over-planner and even I found myself letting things go and just listening to whatever Jenn and her staff had to recommend. Happy hour was delightful and breakfast - truly delicious. Customization is also not a problem as the kitchen staff keep a record of every guest's dietary restrictions in preparing their food. I really enjoyed the banana pancakes and French Toast. The wines provided in the rooms are also a great value - $10/bottle and both tasted like $25+ wines from the wine stores in North America.

Their recommendations are also not half-hearted tourist mumbo jumbo. My boyfriend and I participated in the coffee tour, night hike and original canopy (zip lining) tour. All were fabulous, and a bang for the buck. The guide at HIdden Canopy is extremely knowledgeable and it was an eye-opening experience learning from him. The original canopy tour is really a steal, only $45/person for 15 zip lines and they even take pictures of you with your own camera, saving you from the extra $25-$30 other companies may charge.

Jenn is also making numerous improvements to the property, such as bringing in massage therapists, opening their own Hidden Canopy spa, and installing WiFi in all the treehouses in the near future.

It was truly an experience unlike any other and if I have the opportunity in the future, I would definitely come back for a visit.

Room Tip: Glade was a great treehouse, highly recommend it to couples.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hidden Canopy Treehouses Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!