“A great find in Manuel Antonio” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mandarina

Save Saved
You added Hotel Mandarina to your Saves list
Hotel Mandarina
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Main Road between Quepos and Manuel Antonio National Park, Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica   |
Inglewood, California
“A great find in Manuel Antonio”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Hotel Mandarina had the perfect mix of reasonable price and location. It's a cute place with just twelve rooms, and you get a real key! It's like having your own apartment, and the standard was just as nice as the studio my friend had (my bathroom was a titch smaller).

Some people were complaining about the included breakfast. It's a first world problem to complain about walking ten steps out of your room to eat eggs, toast, papaya, pineapple, etc. and drink tea on a patio, surrounded by nature.

The staff was great, and gave very helpful advice on where to go and will arrange tours for you.

It's true that the wi-fi only truly works near the lobby, but there were times it worked in my room (which was F).

My only two dings were the water pressure in the shower (they gotta replace that showerhead, stat!) and that you can hear everyone walking by in the morning due to the way the rooms are situated near the main staircase.

But guess what? That doesn't matter because you're in PARADISE and monkeys are just a heartbeat away!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

151 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Staff are so nice and friendly at this hotel! They went out of the way to make us feel welcome! The breakfast was somewhat basic but better than no breakfast! The pool and patio both feel like being in the jungle.
Studios have a fridge, which is handy.
I gave 4 star ratings because updates are needed to make this place perfect. the wifi in the rooms is spotty at best....here one day ( with a so-so signal) and gone the next. I spent a lot of time sitting by the lobby to get internet. The air conditioners are older and noisy. And the toilet does not flush well and sink does not drain well.
These are minor complaints though...the hotel really is a great value!

Room Tip: If its low season, ask for a free upgrade to a studio.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Sao Paulo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have spent two days on Mandarina and the overall experience was nice. The hotel is close to Manuel Antonio Park and many nice restaurants. The rooms are a bit old (air conditioning very noisy), but very close to nature and it has a nice pool. I missed internet in the room (only close to the pool and in the lobby). I also missed a better breakfast: guests could only choose one option among three and it left me hungry. All in all, I had a good rest and enjoyed Manuel Antonio as I expected.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
George Town, Grand Cayman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Overall we had an enjoyable stay at Hotel Mandarina. The rooms were nice and clean, and we enjoyed hanging out in the games room and by the pool. The location is great, close to nice restaurants and 5 minute drive from the National Park - would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Super nice Hotel with unbeatable price and sweetest view restaurants just around - thanks a lot for all the arrangements and letting me use your computer in urgent cases! I'll definitely return to you on my next stay

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The staff is very friendly and helpful! I contacted Lorena, the manager, before my trip since I was arriving and departing in the middle of the night, while the main office would be closed. Since this was my first trip to Costa Rica and I was traveling alone, I asked her about transportation options to and from the San Jose airport (2-3 hours drive away), and she discussed options with me and arranged for a taxi/van for me. When I arrived around 1 AM, the hotel security guard met me and made sure I got to my room. I stayed for 5 nights and had no problems at all. Maybe my one complaint is that the shower had poor water flow. I took at least two showers a day due to the humidity. :) I appreciated the AC unit in my room quite a bit. I really enjoyed eating breakfast on their terrace. The first morning I saw a few monkeys and admired the hummingbirds and beautiful plants. I was in Manuel Antonio for a friend's wedding on Playitas beach which is a 15 minute walk downhill. Very convenient location for those wanting to spend time on the beach and at the National Park. I'd recommend going with a guide for your first walk through the Park, since they can spot animals and plants that might be difficult for a first-timer to notice. There's a bus stop across the street and a bank with ATM a few doors down. Being a coffee drinker, Cafe Milagro two doors down was also a convenient daily stop for me. Bars and restaurants, like El Avion and Byblos are also in short walking distance. We took the bride-to-be to Byblos (three doors down from Mandarina) for dancing and drinks, and it was lots of fun, despite the humidity and sweat. :) I'm glad I found Hotel Mandarina and would come back again!

Room Tip: My room (F- rooms are by letter rather than number) was well shaded during the day, but the next tim...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 5 days/4 nights and I loved it. The location is right in the jungle so while you're eating breakfast you can watch the wildlife. One morning a group of titi monkeys even joined us! The owner is very nice and I found the service to be outstanding. Lorena and the rest of the girls were so nice and answered all of my many questions. I thought the breakfast was delicious and it took no more than 5 minutes for them to cook (and they actually hand made their own juice!). The location was in the middle of (in my opinion) the best restaurants in the area and also with the best views! And it is a short bus ride to the beach although it did take me 45 to walk back. And i found the bed to be very comfortable. I cannot think of a single complaint. I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Hotel Mandarina? Share your experiences!