“Great location & service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mandarina

Save Saved
You added Hotel Mandarina to your Saves list
Hotel Mandarina
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Main Road between Quepos and Manuel Antonio National Park, Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica   |
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Great location & service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The staff is very friendly and helpful! I contacted Lorena, the manager, before my trip since I was arriving and departing in the middle of the night, while the main office would be closed. Since this was my first trip to Costa Rica and I was traveling alone, I asked her about transportation options to and from the San Jose airport (2-3 hours drive away), and she discussed options with me and arranged for a taxi/van for me. When I arrived around 1 AM, the hotel security guard met me and made sure I got to my room. I stayed for 5 nights and had no problems at all. Maybe my one complaint is that the shower had poor water flow. I took at least two showers a day due to the humidity. :) I appreciated the AC unit in my room quite a bit. I really enjoyed eating breakfast on their terrace. The first morning I saw a few monkeys and admired the hummingbirds and beautiful plants. I was in Manuel Antonio for a friend's wedding on Playitas beach which is a 15 minute walk downhill. Very convenient location for those wanting to spend time on the beach and at the National Park. I'd recommend going with a guide for your first walk through the Park, since they can spot animals and plants that might be difficult for a first-timer to notice. There's a bus stop across the street and a bank with ATM a few doors down. Being a coffee drinker, Cafe Milagro two doors down was also a convenient daily stop for me. Bars and restaurants, like El Avion and Byblos are also in short walking distance. We took the bride-to-be to Byblos (three doors down from Mandarina) for dancing and drinks, and it was lots of fun, despite the humidity and sweat. :) I'm glad I found Hotel Mandarina and would come back again!

Room Tip: My room (F- rooms are by letter rather than number) was well shaded during the day, but the next tim...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 5 days/4 nights and I loved it. The location is right in the jungle so while you're eating breakfast you can watch the wildlife. One morning a group of titi monkeys even joined us! The owner is very nice and I found the service to be outstanding. Lorena and the rest of the girls were so nice and answered all of my many questions. I thought the breakfast was delicious and it took no more than 5 minutes for them to cook (and they actually hand made their own juice!). The location was in the middle of (in my opinion) the best restaurants in the area and also with the best views! And it is a short bus ride to the beach although it did take me 45 to walk back. And i found the bed to be very comfortable. I cannot think of a single complaint. I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

I just spent the weekend at this hotel and it was a very good experience... very clean, quite place... Nice room... great shower...Very good service... I really enjoyed the breakfast... there are many good restaurants around (walking distance) the beach and the national Park are very closed. Pricing is Good specially for the area where the hotel is located. Front desk Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed April 2013
Kaohsiung, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

The grounds of this hotel are beautiful. You're surrounded by rainforest. Stay out on the porch around dusk - I did and I saw dozens of monkeys running around the trees, and several beautiful birds. Breakfast was great. The pool was nice and refreshing, a bonus considering the heat in this area. Our room was unique and nice, very clean. It seems that each room in this hotel is different. The air conditioner didn't make our room icy cold, but who needs that anyhow? It was comfortable and we slept well under a sheet. Staff booked a great rafting trip for us. Awesome guides... I think the company was called Ultimate something?? This hotel was an affordable choice along the pricey string of hotels on the main road. Many excellent dining options within walking distance.

Room Tip: Book a rafting trip through the desk, the company they work with for rafting is awesome! Don't...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
tangerineTangerine, Manager at Hotel Mandarina, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you very much for the nice review. The tour company you mentioned is called Unique Tours and it has been our number one choice for this kind of tour for their profesionalism and enthusiam as well as their excellent feedback from our guests.
As you mentioned the Hotel is in a prime location in Manuel Antonio without being a pricey place to stay and still offering all the services most travellers are looking for.
We thank you for your visit and are looking forward to see you again.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

They charged us 80$ for one night , the service was excellent but :
the shower had hair "leftovers" of hair (probably from the last guest).
Air condition was very loud .
Bed was uncomfortable.
Breakfast - very poor and slow ( extra tico time)...

• Stayed April 2013
tangerineTangerine, Owner at Hotel Mandarina, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Before responding to this review I sent this guest two messages on TripAdvisor and also tried to send a personal email to her (I cannot make out her email address), to find out more details about her complaints and have not received a response yet.

I am sorry there was hair in the shower... don't know whether we are talking about a few strands or a pile. Our air conditioners are not that old and although I know some of them can be a little noisy, they are not so loud to keep you awake at night. About the bed being uncomfortable... I think we have gotten that complaint maybe only once before. Most people a very satisfied with our high-density foam mattresses. They are much better than the worn out old spring mattresses found in many hotels in Costa Rica!

Breakfast — poor and slow? Again... it would be helpful to have more details... I mean did you wait an hour for your breakfast? or was 10 minutes too long? We receive many compliments on our included breakfasts! How was it bad?

This reviewer also gave a our location a poor rating. I guess if being within short walking distance to many great restaurants while still being able to have a nice 20-30 minute hike down to the beach is terrible... then I don't know what to say.

Well, I'm glad our service is excellent!
Our manager, Lorena remembers this guest and how she was friendly... it would have been nice to bring these issues to Lorena's attention instead of just writing about it after.

Thank You!
Gary A. Wexler
co-owner
Hotel Mandarina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Cozy and calm place. Good room with mango tree wood floors...
Extraordinary greeting. We had to order a bunch of flowers at 7 p.m. - we got all help from the staff and got the flowers.
We also left an ipad and phone in the safety box - all was safe. Want to thank Lorena, the manager. She was open and helpful.
Great place!

• Stayed March 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Me and my girlfriend passed 4 nights at this hotel and we really enjoyed it! The rooms are clean, A/C in it, good price, staff is really friendly and helpful (Lorena took care of us giving us tips about the place and booking some nice expeditions). Best part of our stay was the morning (a simple but good breakfast included with GOOOOD costa rican coffee mmmmmm), we had breakfast 2 times with monkeys jumping in trees around us. What a nice experience. At the end of our 2nd and 3rd day we say a sloth and a 1 meter lizard in the trees. All of this is possible because the way the hotel is build the jungle is straight behind it and circling the terasse and the pool where you hang out after a long day. Good restaurants are near (café milagro was really good for dinner) and is right next to the bus station where you can take it around the town of the National Park, and we felt safe everytime we took it.

Special Thanks again to Lorena for Julien and Chloé!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Mandarina? Share your experiences!