“Good value and great people!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mandarina

Save Saved
You added Hotel Mandarina to your Saves list
Hotel Mandarina
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Main Road between Quepos and Manuel Antonio National Park, Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica   |
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“Good value and great people!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Me and my girlfriend passed 4 nights at this hotel and we really enjoyed it! The rooms are clean, A/C in it, good price, staff is really friendly and helpful (Lorena took care of us giving us tips about the place and booking some nice expeditions). Best part of our stay was the morning (a simple but good breakfast included with GOOOOD costa rican coffee mmmmmm), we had breakfast 2 times with monkeys jumping in trees around us. What a nice experience. At the end of our 2nd and 3rd day we say a sloth and a 1 meter lizard in the trees. All of this is possible because the way the hotel is build the jungle is straight behind it and circling the terasse and the pool where you hang out after a long day. Good restaurants are near (café milagro was really good for dinner) and is right next to the bus station where you can take it around the town of the National Park, and we felt safe everytime we took it.

Special Thanks again to Lorena for Julien and Chloé!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The hotel had changed hands in January and our November booking had not been passed on to the current management. However, the delightful new manager, Lorena, quickly found us (two couples) two rooms. Nothing was too much trouble for her. She recommended a local restaurant and organised a tour for us the following day to Manuel Antonio National Park. We swam in the hotel's pool, watched by a troop of monkeys and ambled over the road for cocktails at a bar with a stunning view over the bay. Lorena's English is excellent, probably because she is married to a Texan, who plays guitar in a band at a restaurant a little further down the road, which we discovered by accident when we wandered in to get a view of the sunset. She also organised a private shuttle bus to get us back to Heredia on our last day. We really wished we could have stayed longer than two nights. PLEASE NOTE that reviews written before the 15th January 2013 are now out of date. Since Lorena took over the running of the hotel things have changed out of all recognition. We had no problems with hot water or air conditioning and the rooms were clean and light. The pool was clean and the breakfasts were delicious, served out in the open air overlooking the pool with those monkeys looking on. We were told that a sloth passes by at about four o'clock in the afternoon, but unfottunately we missed him! Thank you Lorena, you're running a great hotel.

Room Tip: We had two studio rooms A and C which were clean and spacious. Room A was marginally lighter as it...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Fabulous stay at Hotel Mandarina. I just learned it came under new management and was renovated as of Jan 15 as their reply below to one posting says. We stayed there for 3 nights starting Feb 17th. I chose this hotel even tho there was a very negative one posted which I read after I made the reservation because so many of the other postings were positive.

Ceiling fan and air conditioner excellent. Clean, lovely room, comfortable king size bed in our room. Mini Refrigerator. Excellent lighting. Daily cleaning care excellent.

The front desk personnel could not have been more attentive and helpful. Pool was clean. Grounds are lovely with flowers in bloom everywhere. Chaise lounges at pool were in excellent condition.

Breakfasts were excellent. I drink iced coffee in warmer weather and the lovely lady who made us breakfast each of the three days made sure I had plenty of ice for it. And since I usually use half and half, and not the fat free kind, she had at least whole milk for which I was greatly appreciative.

Note that Manuel Antonio topography is made up of hills which means one needs to walk up or down to get to places in the hotel/resort/complex where one stays. Knowing that because we had been to Manuel Antonio before (25 years before, actually), we requested a room closer to the parking area, which is not even seen from our room. There were a few stairs down to our room.

In the rooms, one might need to walk down a few steps to the sleeping area and another few steps to the bathroom. Our bathroom had a shower, large mirror over the sink, plenty of places to store stuff on the shelf near the mirrors.

You can't go wrong with Hotel Mandarina. The price and location and amenities are great!.
And I will post more about our trip in general to Costa Rica as soon as I can

Room Tip: We had room F. Good location.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Greenfield, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Hotel Mandarina is a secluded getaway nestled in the trees but close enough to all the action. The room was very clean, the breakfast was homemade and delicious. The beds are extremely comfortable, and the hospitality is phenomenal. The pool was clean and refreshing, and the staff can connect you with tours and tell you all the great places to visit. The location is perfect - I walked to the beach every day. This is not a touristy chain - it was recommended by a local and it is a perfect place to get away from the loud tourists and relax with a slice of culture, nature, and peace. That is exactly what I did, and I can't wait to return!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
tangerineTangerine, Manager at Hotel Mandarina, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thanks Corinne for your review ! We are glad to hear that your stay back in February was a pleasant one ! We certainly hope to see back again in the near future.
As I told you since taken over as a manager in mid January 2013 my main focus has been the improvement of he hotel and taken care of all the maintenance issues that needed taken care of.
We are getting there and I know that guest will find a nice place to stay ! Thanks again !
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My family and I are hearty travelers, and we're pretty easy to please. Not much phases us, and we're go with the flow folks. But we felt that we had to warn others that this hotel is not at all what you see advertised, and is falling apart cosmetically and mechanically. Over a hot stay to Costa Rica, one of our two rooms had no air conditioning or hot water. The reply from the front desk? The cool water will feel good given how hot the room is without AC. Seriously? The place is also dirty and falling apart -- peeling paint, cracked floors and walls, and things floating in the hot tub and pool. The pics we attach tell the tale. Sorry that we lost the pics inside the rooms so you can see that they are no better than what you see in pics outside. Steer clear of this place.

Room Tip: Pick any other place!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
tangerineTangerine, Manager at Hotel Mandarina, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
The Hotel is under new management since January and since then many maintenance jobs have been performed to upgrade the place. The photos posted show the bodegas for tools and pool pump and were most likely taken before January 15. The new mangement is committed to improve the cleanliness of the grounds and the roooms.
Shijiazhuang, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed there with some friends during a beach trip for the New Year's vacation. Very affordable place, is very good located making it easy to get to the beach, as well as different restaurants and bars. Talking about the rooms, they were very clean and didn't lack of ammenities. About the service, food was good, and the staff very kind and helpful.

For everybody, whether you are a local tourist or a foreigner, I would strongly recommend Hotel Mandarina to stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Zollbrück
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I have nothing but good things to say about this place! I did not have a reservation and tghey were very accomodating ! The staff was very helpful. They told me how to get around, told me about all the local spots to check and give me all kinds of tips that truly made my vacation perfect !
They arrange a tour to the National Park that was awesome !
The rooms were very clean and the breakfast great ! I loved sitting by the terrace and read my book in the afternnons and spot some beautful birds. Also waking up with the sounds of nature !!
I recommend this place to all those looking for a great place with a great location and also those looking to have a relaxing time during their vacation !
I hope more people will discover this place !

Room Tip: Ask for the standard room with king bed if travelling solo or with your significant other ! If you w...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Mandarina? Share your experiences!