“Gets the job done” 3 of 5 stars

Manuel Antonio Beach, Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica   |
Brooklyn, New York
“Gets the job done”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

It's all pretty much been said; Anita is not friendly. Don't even bother trying to get her to warm up to you - it won't work (unless you're going to offer to pay extra for the room). Which brings to my second point. Anita is extremely cost-conscious (to put it kindly). This translates into:
1. a very small amount of hot water
2. the lamps illuminating the (treacherous) stairs up to the rooms are turned off after a certain hour.
3. so is the router. so, if you happen to need wi-fi at 5am, you're out of luck.
4. I'm fairly confident I could have broken into our room with my bare hands.

If none of this bothers you, it's worth a stay. We could see the ocean from the balcony outside our room, indeed. Beware of her pulling the 'show you one room then give you a different one.' She did this to us, and it is mentioned in some other reviews as well. We paid $90 a night during the last week of December 2011.

Note: the cleaning girl is quite friendly

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Quepos, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay at Coco Beach. Staff friendly and helpful. Very secure. Walk-in Closet safe. Night guard. Daily cleaning, hot water, refrig. air conditioning, TV,Pool, Wi-Fi weak on second floor but you can sit by the pool or in cafe. Anita (owner/manager) is on top of everything. Just ask her anything. Really your best value. You would have to pay much more to get very little more. You might get a discount for a long stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Port Moody, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

Before reading others' (scathing) reviews, I referred to Costa Rica's Coco Beach Hotel at Manuel Antonio Park in a reply to someone asking about the Casa Buena Vista. I suspect Coco Beach's management has changed ... I can't stress enough how excellent, service-oriented and clean it was! Here's the review I wrote elsewhere on your website:

Traveling off-season in late September/early October, 2011, we quickly found an inexpensive place at the immaculately clean Coco Beach Hotel, within easy walking distance of Manuel Antonio Park and a splendid beach rivaling anything we've seen around the world. The owner ("Anita," who speaks six languages), offers off-season bargains, and quickly dropped the price from $35 to $30 a night when we said we'd stay five nights.

For $30, we got a bright, sunny, air conditioned room (A/C is essential for travelers to much of Costa Rica), cable TV, comfortable beds, a clean and lovely swimming pool overlooking the jungle, and - best of all - peace of mind. Each room comes with a large "safe room" - a large, double-locked closet with a divider shelf - to secure your luggage and valuables. "Anita" also cooked breakfast, lunch, and dinner to order at very reasonable prices. I am an experienced traveler and would recommend this hotel to anyone at any level of travel.

Although we had a rental car, driving in Costa Rica can be unnerving. It's great to know that the bus to Manuel Antonio Park comes but a few feet from the door of this great little hotel!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for an air-conditioned room. The Coco Beach Hotel is extremely safe and quiet. We hav...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

My friends and I enjoyed a week of Anita's hospitality at the Coco in Manuel Antonio. The place is very handy, close to the park entrance, rooms, while not upscale are large, air conditioned (sort of), have fans, hot water and are quiet for the most part. Anita the proprietor is a spirited Chinese woman that speaks good Spanish, sleeps under her desk and always has a smile, especially when handing her money for your rent =) You will not find a cheaper place near the park and while parking is limited, great bus service is nearby to hit the beach or go down the hill to Quepos and it's seedy bars, casino and supermercado. All in all, you'll get a lot of bang for your buck at the Coco, don't expect primero classe but you'll sleep well and you should not be sitting in a hotel room if vacationing anyway.

Room Tip: number 8 has decent A/C and a wall fan too, fall out the door right into the pool also...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

We were only in town for one night and found this hotel at random just by walking, but we were pleased with our stay and would stay there again.

Here's what I have to say about the hotel:

Great view from balconies
Nice (but small) pool with a waterfall and surrounded flowers (see photos)
Great location (walk to beaches, sunsets, Manuel Antonio park, restaurants, super market)
Monkeys in trees on the property in the morning
Affordable
Cable TV
Some rooms have A/C

We were surprised to read such bad reviews after returning home, like I said we plan on staying here again.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 2nd floor to enjoy the balcony
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Wakefield, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

My husband and I were booked at this hotel through a travel agent so we looked on TripAdvisor to get an idea of what to expect. There were mixed reviews, although some were so bad (e.g., fights with owner, etc.) that we almost didn't believe them and wanted to give the place the benefit of doubt. This logic quickly went out the window as soon as we arrived.

To give some perspective, we are both worldly travellers and have stayed in a wide variety of lodging, including many hostels. Also, my husband and I are very laid-back people; backpackers, low maintenance. With that said, Coco Beach is by far the worst place either of us have ever stayed.

It all started when we tried to check in with the woman in the office (owner, we believe) and she spent about 15 minutes flipping through old books of receipts "looking for our reservation" and when she couldn't seem to find it, she finally said "ah, I remember" and yelled at the top of her lungs up to the housekeeper to bring us to our room. We were brought to a decent top-floor corner unit with amazing views of the ocean (see photo of "first room"). We proceeded to unpack everything and change into beach gear (the only plus here is that the beach is very close). On our way down the hill (ton of stairs), the owner yelled for us as we walked past her office. She and the housekeeper told us that there was a mistake and we needed to change rooms, unless we wanted to pay extra per night. Then she said someone else had booked that particular room. It was very obvious that this was a scam to get us to pay more money because why could we stay in the room (if we payed more money) if someone else had booked it? Would the "other guests" that had booked the room be forced to move to a different room? It was obvious that this was the best room at the hotel (which was extremely run down and dirty, by the way). We protested and my husband got very angry - I don't think I've ever seen him that mad. The woman argued back and she and my husband got into a yelling fight - it was very upsetting and we felt used and disrespected. We finally gave up and re-packed everything and were led to our new room, which, unlike the first room, was by far the most disgusting, unsanitary and filthy place I've ever stayed. It was infested with giant ants, mold (large growth of some sort hanging from the ceiling, see photo of "second room") and had a horrid smell.

I could go on and on, but to "highlight" a few other things, the bathroom next to one of the pools was used for storage and the toilet was full (disgusting) with no toilet paper, the pools looked dirty, the grounds were overgrown and unmaintained, and the staff were rude, except for the man that served us breakfast.

We spoke with another couple while we were there who had a similar situation and were upset as well. In summary, the only plus to this hotel (close to beach), is far outweighed by the negatives (scam, dirty, rude staff/owner, very run-down).

I strongly suggest that you take your money elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

Ended up staying in this hotel since my friends wanted to be close to the beach and didn't want to spend a lot of money. I will give this hotel something, it is cheap. They were giving away one bedrooms for 20$ and three sleepers for $35. So splitting that 3 ways makes for a cheap stay. Don't expect anything for it though.
AC was noisy the first night then never got cold again the rest of the stay
No hot water.
Pool looks nasty, one morning there was monkey crap on the edge. Personally I wouldn't swim in it, but i never planned on it anyway since I was close to the beach. There is no safe and the beds are the thin spring type mattresses. All in all, I didn't feel bad about staying there since I only spent $40 for 3 nights. But trust me, it is one step up from a hostel. Just a place to put your stuff while you are at the beach and doing tours.
There was Free WIFI, but it only worked in the common area.

There is limited free parking but I usually parked on the shoulder of the road and I didn't have any trouble. Also, there is an all night guard so I assume the place is safe. I didn't see anything to make me think otherwise.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Coco Beach? Share your experiences!