“Beautiful resort, exceptional service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Buena Vista Luxury Villas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manuel Antonio National Park
Buena Vista Luxury Villas
You added Buena Vista Luxury Villas to your Saves list
Tulemar Gardens, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Beautiful resort, exceptional service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I spent three nights in February 2013 at Buena Vista Villas with my mother and two adult brothers and it was an amazing stay! We arrived late at night after traveling from Arenal and were frustrated to see that our villa, although beautiful, had just one bedroom with one bed. We let reception know about the mix-up and Johan went above and beyond to correct the mistake. It ended up taking about an hour and a half to get into our new villa but it was worth the wait! We were given #401, which is right next to reception, and it was an amazing two-level villa with two bedrooms, each with an attached full bath (including an awesome, massive partially outdoor shower). It was really convenient to have the full kitchen even though we just used it to prepare/store snacks and drinks; had we stayed longer, I think we definitely would have used the grill and other appliances to cook meals. The balcony was also amazing (complete with a hot tub, dining table and sitting area) - one of the best views I've ever seen and yes, the monkeys will come visit! Johan repeatedly checked on us throughout our stay to make sure we were enjoying ourselves and not upset by the issues at the beginning. He and the other staff were extremely friendly and helpful with everything.

As for the rest of the resort, the three pools were all very nice but the real selling point is the private beach! We spent one morning on a tour of the National Park (great experience) but the rest of the time was spent at the beach. It was definitely a trek all the way down from #401 (the way back being a real workout), but we decided not to be whimpy and get the exercise (shuttles are widely available though). The beach had plenty of chairs and the attendants were very helpful with setting up umbrellas, helping us get out on kayaks, etc. We didn't eat at the beach bar or any of the pool bars but it was very convenient to have the bar right there for drinks. Speaking of food, I would highly recommend Cafe Milagro (just a short walk out to the right of the resort) and Agua Azul (to the left). The road/sidewalk situation is a little dicey (as in most of Costa Rica) but you can definitely walk to restaurants, bars, the ATM and grocery store.

I have nothing but good things to stay about Buena Vista - I would be thrilled to return. And thanks again to Johan and his team for making sure we had an unforgettable stay!

Room Tip: We actually enjoyed being up at the top of the resort next to reception (#401) because it made it ea...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
BuenaVistaLuxuryVil, Manager at Buena Vista Luxury Villas, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thanks for the review and I definitely understand your like of 401 since it’s close to the main gate and has a jaw dropping view. Sorry about the mix up upon your arrival and I’m glad we fixed it right, thanks too to Johan. Quick tip Agua Azul is to the right out of the main gate so in Café Milagro. As always thanks monkeys! Pura Vida, The Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Casa las Flores is a wonderful place to stay, especially for families with teenage children. At first I was a little uncomfortable because the only way to get from the top level to the bottom level is to walk down an outdoor staircase. However, my teenage kids loved having their own space and the outdoor walk didn't phase them at all. Brian, our concierge, was wonderful and followed up with all of our pre-booked tours to make sure that pick up times were correct and then instructed the tour companies to pick us up at our unit so that we didn't have to travel up to the gate.

Out of everything that we did during our Costa Rica trip, probably my favorite memory was sitting on the deck at Casa las Flores and watching the monkeys. One afternoon we had 10 Squirrel Monkeys start dropping out of the trees and they wrestled on the deck while we sat watching in amazement. The next day a group of 6 white faced monkeys were swinging in the trees in front of us having a wonderful time playing. Once they saw us they sat in the trees near us and stared as we took photos and sat in awe of them. Monkeys could be seen all over the property playing in the trees, on the South trail and in the trees at the beach.

We made many great memories at Tulemar swimming in the ocean, kayaking, lounging at the family pool, looking at the many sloths and iguanas on the property, hiking the North and South paths every morning and as I mentioned above - just sitting on the deck having a cocktail while watching the monkeys play and the sun set.

Tulemar is also located within two blocks of a grocery store and within walking distance to many restaurants.

We would definitely stay at Casa las Flores again - it's an amazing place!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for the nice review, always glad to hear good things about our concierges. As always the monkeys earn their pay! Thanks for staying with us and please come back! Pura Vida, The Staff
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Absolutely stunning resort ! Extremely private, secluded and quiet. I stayed in the 200 bungelows and was more than pleased with the location. The view was unobstructed and outstanding. In addition the bungalow did not seem to be in a high traffic area and was close to 2 of the pools. The bungelows do seem to be a bit outdated and worn in some areas but were very well cleaned. The housekeeping staff was fantastic taking care of every little detail. The grounds of the resort were well maintained and you certainly feel as if you are right in the jungle with all of the vegetation and wildlife. The monkeys greet you both morning and evening. When at the private beach be sure to ask a staff member to point out the resident sloth and take advantage of the hiking trails to and from the beach.

I traveled at the end of November so the resort was relatively empty (might have seen 2 other people the entire time I was there). Because of the time of my travel (the resort's low season) some of the amenities were lacking (no towels at pools, no food at any of the pool areas on the day of my arrival, etc...) However all of that was outweighed by the TREMENDOUS personal attention from the concierges.

This by far was the BEST part of staying at this resort. My concierge, Bryan and Eduardo, were absolutely amazing. From the moment I arrived they was interested in making my stay the best it could be. I was a solo traveler and my reason for visiting Costa Rica was to concentrate on my photography while learning about the people and culture of this amazing country. Upon learning this, Bryan (along with Eduardo) arranged to take me on a walking tour of Quepos so that I could discover and document the "non-tourist" area and daily life of Costa Ricans. They introduced me to the food (home cooked meal), culture, family life and history of this great town. They answered every question I threw at them and even waited while I took hundreds of photos.

On a day that I had no activities planned (by the way Bryan took care of all of the arrangements for any and all of the excursions I went on, I did not have to worry about a thing) I headed out of the resort on my own intending to just wander and take photos. Before exiting the lobby door Eduardo offered to accompany me to town. It was absolutely perfect as he was able to introduce me to the "locals", show me places off the beaten path which provided unlimited photo opportunities. I know I would have never seen even a fraction of this without Eduardo. It was exactly what I was looking for but never expected it. I am still in awe of the personal attention and concern for the purpose of my trip that I received. I am convinced that I will never find another resort with this level of personal attention.

Thank you Bryan and Eduardo, you guys are absolutely amazing and I will NEVER forget ALL of the experiences you provided me with!!!!!!!!!!

I have only one suggestion: It would be nice if you upgraded travelers to suites or better accommodations when your resort is so very empty. The first resort I stayed at did this for me and it was such a nice gesture and made my stay so much more pleasant. This would have compensated for the lack of services and amenities that you did not provide due to it not being the "busy" season.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for the review and I’m always glad to hear that our concierge service lives up to its potential. FYI for guests this guest stayed not in a bungalow but in a Jr. Suite (select villa). Outside of the Thanksgiving week, November is a lower travel month here and the end of the slow season for our employees. This explains (at least to me) the reason for some of the missing towels and the ability for my concierge’s to be able to accompany the guest off site. We are always striving to improve our guest services and are thankful to hear from guests on their experiences. Pura Vida, The Staff
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We came here for the second part of our honeymoon after staying at Arenal Nayara for a few days. Maybe we got spoiled by how awesome Nayara was, but this place was kind of a disappointment.

Pros:
-Great private beach with and towel service
-Food & drink service at the beach, friendly bartenders
-Four pools
-Lots of wildlife within the property (monkeys!)
-Great view from the rooms

Cons:
-Terrible service. Book your own excursions and restaurant reservations as they messed all of ours up.
-Annoying guests. Maybe we were unlucky but everyone was loud and rude. A special thanks to the guy who spent 1.5 hours yelling at the beach bartender so that his wife could eat off glassware on her beach chair rather than walking up 5 steps to a table.
-Rooms OK but nothing exciting. Our water didn't work one morning which is annoying when you have to be somewhere for a tour. The phone in the room was also broken
-Huge property. We were in the villa closest to the beach and still usually requested a ride down as it is so steep. The vans were usually quick but inconsistent.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
BuenaVistaLuxuryVil, Manager at Buena Vista Luxury Villas, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am so sorry that we failed to assign a personal concierge because that would have alleviated so many of your problems. I’m sorry for the lack of service while you stayed with us. I hope you give us another chance so that we could show you what we are capable of. Pura Vida, the Staff
Englewood, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The accomodations in the Buena Vista Villas were amazing. Gorgeous views, visits form the monkeys and a great beach to hang out on. Restaurants close enough to walk to were excellent
especially Agua Azul and Cafe Milagro. Our concierge Abigail was absolutely the best! She made great recommendations, all our reservations, and even offered to personally take us shopping in town. She went above and beyond to make our vacation the best.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we are all very glad you had such a good stay with us! We’ll be sure to recognize Abby for her great work. Please come and stay with us again, Pura Vida the Staff
Portsmouth, NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

I was looking for a quiet and peaceful vacation in beautiful Costa Rica and found that at this resort. This was my second trip to Costa Rica and had already done ziplining, white water rafting, etc. so spent almost the entire week at the resort. I loved the bungalow - on our first day there we had monkeys come visit and a sloth saunter by! I also loved the hiking trails and the walk to and from the beach. If you don't want to do the walk there are free shuttles but you may miss out on some of the amazing wildlife and flowers. The private beach is spectacular. I have traveled around the world and this was one of the best vacations I have ever had. I had been to the national park before but didn't go this time because I thought the resort offered just as much without the crowds of people. There are four very nice pools - some days the workers were loud near the pools (working, talking and loud walkie talkies) but I would just switch to another quieter pool. The sunsets are unbelievable and easy to view from around the resort. The beach restaurant was good and ate there a few times. Loved nearby Cafe Milagro. I didn't expect strong wifi signals so was not surprised that at times I had a weak signal but I was able to get on everyday. Andres, our concierge, was sweet, kind and always available. We saw him throughout the week and it was always nice to see his friendly face and know he was there to help us if needed. We had some problems at check-in but all of our concerns were addressed in a reasonable period of time. My only recommendation to management would be to have a very detailed checklist to use before guests arrive to make sure the bungalow/villa is 100% ready for guests. Reception was not very warm when we arrived and seemed surprised to see us and another guest told me the same thing. Perhaps it was the particular staff on that night and isn't typical. Anyway, once we saw Andres kind face we felt welcomed and appreciated. Prior to the trip I had been communcating with Julian and he visited us to make sure we were all set too. Thank you to him and Andres! I cannot wait to go back to resort as I feel I finally found the perfect, serene, beautiful and crowd-free resort I have been seeking. I will miss all of the monkeys too!! (Saw three kinds there!)

• Stayed February 2013
BuenaVistaLuxuryVil, Manager at Buena Vista Luxury Villas, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Thanks for the review and I'm glad you discovered our secret; we are private, quiet and strive to provide the best customer service possible. Our property helps us quite a bit too- private beach and all- I’ve already paid my compliments to Andres and thank you for the heads up on the front desk. Thanks for staying with us, Pura Vida, The Staff
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The grounds here are beautiful. We stayed in a villa and woke up to capuchins each morning on our balcony and running along the roof. One of the most fun parts of our stay there. The private beach is lovely, and offer boogie boards, kayaks free of charge. There is a little cafe called cafe Milagro down the street which has the best breakfast and coffee, went there every morning! Great views, service, and villa was everything a vacation villa should be.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to write nice things about us! Glad to hear the monkeys earned their pay. FYI we also offer towels, umbrellas and snorkel equipment free at the beach! Like Café Milagro there are many cafes and restaurants walkable just outside the gate. Thanks for staying with us. Pura Vida, the Staff

Been to Buena Vista Luxury Villas? Share your experiences!