“Dream Honeymoon at Buena Vista Villas & Tulemar Garden Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Buena Vista Luxury Villas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manuel Antonio National Park
Buena Vista Luxury Villas
You added Buena Vista Luxury Villas to your Saves list
Tulemar Gardens, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
New Brunswick, New Jersey
“Dream Honeymoon at Buena Vista Villas & Tulemar Garden Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I spent an amazing week here September 1-9, 2012. Prior to arriving in Manuel Antonio, we were a little bit nervous about traveling during the green season. However, I would recommend going to Costa Rica at this time of year to any other traveler! The weather was beautiful. We had warm sunny days and cool rainy nights with fantastic thunderstorms. Because it was the "off" season, the town was not overly crowded with tourists and it made the experience even more relaxing for us.

Our villa at Buena Vista was incredible. The views were breathtaking - basically anywhere you stay in this resort complex will not disappoint. I've seen other reviews commenting on how hilly the resort is. In my opinion this is a huge plus! It made the views of the ocean something we will never forget. The shuttle service was impeccable, seriously they were at our door within 3-5 minutes of us calling them. The service at the front desk was amazing, how personal concierge Brian booked all our events for us and was always around to say hi to at the beach. The other concierge on duty were amazing as well and made my husband and I feel incredibly comfortable and taken care of.

The food, I could write an entire post about how amazing the food was. There are so many restaurants within walking distance of this resort, it's SO convenient. Kapi Kapi has spoiled me rotten. I literally have never had ahi tuna that was that good.

I picked this resort based on all the positive feedback through tripadvisor and I was very nervous that it would not live up to it's reputation. But my experience here was amazing, it lived up to its reputation and beyond and I will never forget my honeymoon. Pura Vida. ;)

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor if you can, we stayed in the Select Villa and the view was insane!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
BuenaVistaLuxuryVil, Manager at Buena Vista Luxury Villas, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Congratulations on your nuptial and thank you for the nice review; we are so glad to have made your honeymoon as wonderful as you said! Good tip on the Green season travel… it’s my favorite time of year. Though for future travelers be forwarded it is not always so perfect; if there is a storm in the Pacific we have the potential for days on end of rain. But that said life here is always Pura Vida! Again congratulations! The Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in a 3 room villa and it was just beautiful! Our view of the ocean was great. The maids even did our dishes and laundry which we weren't expecting. There were monkey on the beach and the food at the beach bar was good. I feel like when I am on vacation I want to stay some place at least a little nicer than my home and this was perfect! I even get some decorating ideas! The swimming pools on site were great too! Make sure to use your map to find them all!

• Stayed November 2011
BuenaVistaLuxuryVil, Manager at Buena Vista Luxury Villas, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for the great review glad you enjoyed your stay and yes our maids are the best! Isn’t it great to go out to have fun and come home and even the dishes are done?! Good observation to explore for all the swimming pools too! Pura Vida, The Staff.
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at Buena Vista Luxury Villas during our anniversary trip to Costa Rica. It was our first time to Manuel Antonio.

Upon our arrival we were informed that they'd upgraded us to a lovely villa (#305) with a kitchen and living room area. The front desk/concierge staff was very accommodating on the few occasions that we dealt with them.

The villas are perched on the side of a steep hill. There is shuttle serviced offered to/from any point within the resort for those who don't wish to climb up and down the hills, but note that you will have to do a bit of steep uphill (or downhill) walking to get to the shuttle meeting point from your villa. Having said that, however, my husband and I had absolutely no issues walking to the main road for breakfast, lunch and dinner each day. We also walked down the nature trail to the beach each day. It's a bit of a workout, but really not that big of a deal if you just take your time. The grounds are beautifully landscaped, so it makes for a pleasant stroll.

The villa itself was a bit dated (it looked as though the last major renovation may have been done 10+ years ago). However, it was clean and everything in the room was well maintained and functional. The balcony had a panoramic view of the ocean and jungle, as did the bedroom.

We noticed quite a few creepy crawlies throughout our stay, which I fully understand is part of the territory in a tropical, jungle area. However, it is something to be prepared to see. In our villa we had a constant stream of little lizards on the ceiling, spiders scurrying across the floor, and cockroaches popping up in random places (one day I turned on the wall-mounted air conditioning unit and 2 large roaches came tumbling out). I don't know that the resort could really do much to prevent this given the setting, so I merely mention it as an FYI.

During our stay there was only one restaurant and bar open for service and that was at the beach. This was the resort's weak spot. We ate lunch there upon our arrival. 4 of the 10 items on the menu were not available. What we did order was of average quality and a bit under seasoned. The portions were huge and the prices were surprisingly steep. For two Imperials and two lunch entrees our tab was approximately $50 USD. Service was extremely slow and we waited approximately 30 minutes for our check after requesting it. The staff members spent a lot of time chatting with one another. One inconvenience was that the food tab had to be paid separately from the bar tab. Considering this whole beachside restaurant concept consists of 6 tables and a tiki-hut bar, this seemed really odd.

The next two days we spent a bit more time on the lovely beach, which is picturesque and extremely secluded. At any given time there were 4 or 5 other guests on the beach with us. The first day we used their complimentary kayaks to explore the nearby beaches. The water was so warm it felt like bathwater. After our little adventure we picked out two lounge chairs down the hill from the bar and hung out for an hour or so. My husband walked up the hill to order drinks (they don't take your order from the beach, which is a bit of a bummer.) After about 20 minutes of waiting we looked up the hill to see what the hold-up was. I saw the bartender casually leaning against the bar having a conversation with the other staff members. It was only 10 minutes later that I finally heard the whir of the blender, and a gentleman brought our drinks down to us. The following day our drinks came faster, in maybe 10 or 15 minutes.

Overall we would still recommend this resort to others, with the caveat that you avoid the beach restaurant. The rest of the staff was very friendly and accommodating and the panoramic views are hard to beat. The proximity to Manuel Antonio Park was terrific (maybe a 5 minute drive down the road), and there were dozens of great little restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing a review of our resort. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the extraordinary grounds and made use of the nature trails. I encourage future guests to take the tour of the nature trails too! The Select Villas are all less than but close to 10 years old and we update them as our individual owners prefer. All visitors to Costa Rica should be prepared to see “wildlife” of every species and phylum. As to the food vending situation; our beach restaurant is undergoing updating and admittedly in the off season especially the ultralow season of September, October and half of November things can move slower than usual. We are improving this and will work to make sure future guest are better served. There is food service at the adult pool year round also, I add this comment as a correction that there are two food vending service on property currently and of course Victoria’s our partner restaurant across the street from us. Again thank you for taking the time to review us and to future guests we are working to improve the service at the beach and for guests in the slow season you will experience less people and a slower atmosphere than guest who stay with us in the high season. That is simply the nature of Costa Rica itself. Pura Vida! The Staff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Our concierge Andres was absolutely wonderful!! He was so nice a knowledgable about everything and anytime we wanted anything we just called him and he made arangements for us. The property is beautiful and there are trees everywhere and the private beach was also very wonderful saphire blue water backing up to jungle. There are free kayaks and boogie boards and the water is so warm. A friend from college and I stayed in a Bungalow and it was clean, quaint, and rustic. The floor to ceiling windows around the entire bungalow were awesome. The one complaint I had was the very thin somewhat scratchy lone bed sheet that was the only thing separating me from the matress. Also, the breakfast we had at the beach was the worst we had in Costa Rica. But, Cafe Milagro (right across the street) had one of the best breakfasts so if you can I would suggest eating breakfafst there. Lunch at the beach was good. Again the beach here is so warm and the people were very friendly. Andres was a huge help as well as the rest of the staff. We were given a house to change in after a day at the beach because check out was at 11 and our flight wasn't until two and the house they gave us to change in was spectacular!! For 800 a night we couldn't quite afford this option but it was cool to see nonetheless. AC in the bungalow was really good. Good enough to dry out our suitcases enitrely which did not happen anywhere else we went in Costa Rica.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
BuenaVistaLuxuryVil, Manager at Buena Vista Luxury Villas, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review! Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the comments on breakfast; we are working to make both our breakfast and lunch service at the beach equal to the area they are presented in- FYI for future guests the Bungalows are a cost effective opportunity for guests to stay within the spectacular Tulemar Gardens and the main difference between Tulemar Bungalows and Buena Vista Luxury Villas is age and the fact that Tulemar Bungalows have no outside space. BVLV are younger and all have outside space of some kind. Thanks for staying with us and come back soon! Pura Vida, The Staff.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Tulemar in August of 2012 . Our three story home had three bedrooms and three and a half baths. The home was very nicely furnished and impeccably clean. As soon as you enter, you are captivated by the most amazing views of the ocean and lush vegetation. There are other houses nearby, but it feels very private. Every bedroom has a beautiful view as well. Our house had a hot tub on the deck which was wonderful at the end of a day at the beach. The beach is within walking distance but we took the van because our four boys complained it was too far. The van was always there within 5 minutes of calling. The beach is private, beautiful and convenient. The attendants make sure you have chairs, towels, umbrellas, sand toys, kayaks, etc. You can also get drinks and food so it is the perfect beach. Our kids never wanted to leave. But when we were ready, the van was there to drive us back.
This place also has amazing service. My son got a rash one night and we called the office and they brought us hydrocortisone cream immediately. They were always helpful with setting up tours and guides as well.
Overall, we had an amazing time and loved our villa. The views, the private beach, the service and the location can't be beat.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review! Always nice to see guests taking full advantage of all the perks of our property that make us so unique to other possibilities in the area. Yes our beach “is the perfect beach”. Glad to do what we can when guest have medical issues too. Thanks for staying with us and come back soon! Pura Vida, The Staff.
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

This place was amazing! There were 8 of us...all grown women...we had plenty of space therefore no attitude!! Our villa was 3 stories of luxury. the accommodating Living area, had a great kitchen, beautiful patio w/sitting area, outdoor dining table and a jacuzzi. The bathrooms were open (screened in) to the rainforests! Monkeys, birds,and the Pacific were included in our view daily. Your personal concierge is an amazing feature. we did not worry about anything. Andreas was awesome!! The only issue, was at night, the Air Conditioning was not as cool as it was in the day. it was on it's own timer...not ours. we were too warm at night. Great location close to Manuel Antonio and shopping. Overall, I would stay there again without question.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review! Thank you Andres for exceeding their expectations! Next time let us know if the AC is giving you trouble we can usually get in there while guests are out enjoying MA. Thanks for staying with us and come back soon! Pura Vida, The Staff.
Marion, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

What a great vacation experience! We stayed in one of the Tulemar Bungalows. We had awesome Pacific views and peaceful jungle views from our bedroom and living area. Our Concierge was Brian, and when he wasn't available Andres. They both took great care of us! On our last night there as we were packing my daughter realized that she had rolled up a swimsuit in a towel and left if on the floor, obviously it was now in the laundry! Andres called the laundry they found the suit and he hand delivered it at 9:00pm for us! David the beach attendant was always there to help the kids with boogie boards or kayaks. The beach is so much nicer than the website shows! The beach was never crowded and the water was perfect! Everyone on the property was so friendly and helpful even the gardners! From the monkeys playing in the trees and on the bungalow roofs, to the fabulous flowers, geckos, lizards, iguanas, beautiful swimming pools and rides whenever you want around the property...this was just perfect!

Thank you everyone at Tulemar for making this a trip we will always remember!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
BuenaVistaLuxuryVil, Manager at Buena Vista Luxury Villas, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Thank you for you for taking the time to write such nice review. Glad we could participate in your “great vacation experience”! I’ll pass the kudos on to Brian and Andres. David may have one of the best jobs in the world and thus is very nice and helpful. Thank you for the complement on the beach, yes pictures can only do so much. Thanks for staying with us and please come back. Pura Vida! The Staff

Been to Buena Vista Luxury Villas? Share your experiences!