We've just got back home from our trip to Costa Rica where we spent 10 nights at Gaia
This hotel has lots of potential but unfortunately our experience did not meet the very high expectations we had from reading reviews on trip advisor
The good stuff
Location and setting is stunning. There are amazing views everywhere and one of our favourite things every day was to watch the beautiful sunset over the ocean
Staff were very friendly, and went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. Special call outs to Fabio, Andres and Jose at the front desk.
Dining - the breakfasts were great. We had a couple of dinners at the restaurant and both were excellent, especially the fresh fish. The tapas were also great - the ceviche is to die for!
Spa - The spa was AMAZING - we had 2 couples massages and one pedicure between us - which were all just fantastic
The not so good stuff
Damp/ mould - there is a serious damp problem in one of the rooms we stayed in. The room smelled pretty strongly of mould, and there were patches of damp on some of the walls. Unpacking our things at home - they all reek of this mouldy smell - and that's not even taking into account the health risks
Bathrooms - The bathrooms were poorly designed, and the workmanship in some cases was poor. For example, rather than having standard shower screens (like you get in Europe), they had some custom made poorly fitted screens, which really lowered the tone. We upgraded to a deluxe suite for 4 nights of our stay, and the jacuzzi in our bathroom was plasticky / had seen better days, with bits of mildew in places, and we did not feel very comfortable sitting in it as a result!
- we moved room twice (our choice, because we decided on a last minute upgrade) and each time we were told that our luggage had been moved, but when we got to the room it wasn't there
- the room key cards kept breaking. If they lasted more than 24 days we were very lucky!! This was a little annoying especially as the front desk is a bit of a trek away
- constant phone calls - we kept being disturbed by phone calls at slightly odd times - this was a little annoying
- whilst the breakfasts in the restaurant were great - we felt they were a bit stingy with the fruit. We kept having to ask for more if we wanted it, and got bored of doing that after a while
- service in restaurant was a bit patchy at times, even when very few tables were occupied
- the bed in one of the rooms we stayed in (the deluxe suite) was pretty saggy in the middle. We asked for this to be fixed and they did something to make it better, but it still wasn't great.
- We had a private roof top terrace in our deluxe suite, and wanted to use it one evening. However, no one could figure out how to turn the lights on (despite best efforts from all concerned) - it seems that the light switches had been removed despite there being lights there.
All in all, we enjoyed our trip very much, but our experience at Gaia did not live up to expectations/ the awards etc. Perhaps if we had stayed when the property was newer we would have had a better experience.
242 (ocean view studio) has a serious mould / damp problem
322 (deluxe studio) has a saggy bed
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
I must say we are very surprised and disappointed in some of the aspects of our recent guests review of our hotel.
Report response as inappropriate
The design of our bathrooms was indeed conceived from a European design firm and we have won numerous awards for the final product. There are several designs implemented depending on the particular room and we have never heard of comments that were anything short of glowing.
And we urge our guests to please keep the windows and doors to the rooms completely closed. Otherwise, being in the rainforest, it is natural that a bit of mildew would develop. Our state of the art air conditioning system on the property was specially selected to combat any moisture in the rooms but this can only be achieved with the windows in the closed position.
We appreciate your very kind words on our staff and general ambiance of the hotel.
And we were happy to have given you complimentary upgrades at no additional charge when we had an empty room available.
Thank you for coming to Gaia and writing on this TripAdvisor forum.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.