“I return almost every year - it is that good” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gaia Hotel & Reserve

Save Saved
You added Gaia Hotel & Reserve to your Saves list
Gaia Hotel & Reserve
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Km 2.7 Carretera Quepos a Manuel Antonio, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
Special Offer
ONLY THROUGH TRIPADVISOR
Boulder
“I return almost every year - it is that good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I love this hotel. It defines Pura Vida. I am an avid traveler and rarely return to the same country - let alone the same hotel, but I have stayed at this hotel three separate times during three separate years. First of all, it is a very beautiful hotel. It sits up on a mountain top with views of the jungle and sea. Second, it is surrounded by jungle and set way off the road so you won't get any road traffic noise. They have a free shuttle to the beach (10 minutes down the road). The jungle tour around the grounds is nice. The rooms are really top notch. If you can afford to upgrade to the large multi-floor suite - it is quite amazing with a private roof deck. My one complaint is that they used to include free yoga in a communal lodge area which was awesome - now you have to pay to have a yoga instructor come to your room - which is not optimal. The restaurant is excellent and Manuel Antonio is one of the best places to visit in Costa Rica. The jungle that comes up to the beach is incredible. Take a day tour through there and get up close to sloth, monkeys etc.. You can also take surfing lessons on the beach (the ocean has a really excellent break for beginners but also for advanced surfers). DO NOT go during Easter. I made that mistake once. The usually empty beach was absolutely packed with locals who are all on vacation that week. So, we retreated and spent almost the entire vacation at the Gaia pool (which is awesome - with its infinity pool...and you can even eat lunch at a pool bar (sitting in the water). The staff is professional and courteous. When they ask how you are - reply "Twanis" - that means "cool" - they get a kick out of that.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Tommy-Farrell, Owner at Gaia Hotel & Reserve, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you once again for your very king review of our hotel and restaurant. Others on this TripAdvisor forum as well as our entire staff welcome your very personal input.

And Welcome Back. We are so very honored that you have come back to us now three times. You, like so many of our return guests, totally get what Gaia is all about and feel the magic we have created here.

We look forward to your return to us again giving us the opportunity to spoil you as you so much deserve.

724 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights. I can echo the other reviews - it is a lovely place to stay.

The rooms were great and the staff universally charming and keen to help. The food in the restaurant was excellent - so good that we ended up eating here each day (which we never normally do).

Overall a great place to stay in the Manuel Antonio area.

• Stayed December 2012
Your review of our boutique hotel is most welcoming to our staff.

Thank you for taking your personal time to make your lovely comments about our staff. And you obviously thoroughly enjoyed our restaurant cuisine........ you like so many of our guests do indeed take most of their meals at our La Luna restaurant as there is so many choices and the quality is second to no other in the local region.

We look forward to the possibility of hosting you once again and thank you for visiting us.
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at Gaia for four nights with my nineteen year old son. It is a really exceptionally wonderful hotel. The grounds are very beautiful as was our room.We had a suite The staff were excellent, friendly professional and made one feel like a VIP at every turn. They are extremely hard working. The food as well as the decor in the restaurant was amazing. We ate there two nights and had lunch as well. Each time the service, presentation and quality was impeccable. The breakfasts were amazing - a huge selection of delicious foods with waiter service. We ate at two other restaurants in Manuel Antonio but they werent nearly as good at the restaurant in the hotel. Another great time was the happy hour which we went to each day to watch the sunset and snack on very reasonably priced and delicious tapas. The reserve on the grounds are really nice to walk around and our guide gave us a good tour. I am very impressed at how they took farmland and turned it into a reserve. We all loved the pool and the views from the pool. I dont usually swim in public pools but this one was irresistable. The hotel was immaculately clean. We met two of the owners and Thomas was friendly and extremely helpful. I told him that our sneakers were wet and we had only had sandals for the next day when we wanted to go hiking. He suggested I call housekeeping. This was at about 8.00pm. They picked up our wet muddy shoes and when I called at 6.30am to see if they were ready they were delivered immediately all warm and clean. That was great service. The other wonderful service that is offered is the car pick up and drop off. We used it often to go into town or the beach. We just told the driver what time we wanted to be picked up and the driver arrived punctually each time. When we left for the beach the driver would have towels in the van for us. We used Mary's on the public beach for chairs and umbrellas which the hotel called ahead for- what an amazing service. The drivers who zipped us up and down on golfcarts were really friendly and happy to stop for us to look for sloths and frogs- they invariably spotted them before we did. All in all it was a wonderful stay and one of the best hotels I have stayed in. The only issues we had and why unfortunately I couldnt give it five stars was that my son slept on a sofa bed which was extremely uncomfortable and noisy. Everytime he turned the bed creaked very loudly and woke him up.We could hear it from our room even with the door closed. Consequently he was a bit grumpy. It is hard to give a hotel five stars if you dont get a good night's sleep. I know that sleeper sofas arent the best for sleep, but this one was really bad. My other peeve was that there werent always available loungers at the pool. It was a bit annoying sometimes when we wanted to sit at the pool and there was nowhere to sit. Maybe it was because it was peak season and the hotel was full. There were probably only twelve loungers scattered around the pool. We have had this problem at bigger and busier hotels and resorts, but it was disappointing to have had it at Gaia as well where attention to detail is so obvious. The areas around the pool are small and secluded which is great if you get a spot, but there were not enough for everyone who wanted to be at the pool almost everytime I was there. There isnt even space on the ground to put a towel to lay on. However, if you did manage to get the loungers and especially the ones at the top behind the waterfall the view was simply stunning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
WE are so very happy our guests felt like VIP's.....since that was the objective all along.

Your comprehensive review was welcoming and we thank you for taking your personal time to make your wonderful comments on our staff, food, decor and overall surroundings.

Your comment on the sofa bed is taken seriously and I wish we had known of this during your stay as we have extra bedding available that would have been much more comfortable.

Thank you so very much for having spent your holiday with us and we look forward to your return visit......
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Firstly, the place is beautiful and the food awesome! One of the owners picked us up from the airport, which was very nice and convenient. Although modern, you never forget that you are in the middle of beautiful nature given the hotel's location, and views from the room, restaurant, pool, etc. Really cool, romantic place. Quiet, serene, simply lovely!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Tommy-Farrell, Owner at Gaia Hotel & Reserve, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Wonderful...!! Marvelous...!! Thank you for coming to Gaia Hotel & Reserve and allowing us to have you in our home for the short period you were here in Costa Rica.

Our staff from the front desk to our restaurant staff to our pool attendants still speak of your kind words and meaningful understanding of what we have created here at our 5 star resort.

Thank you for sharing your most memorable experience with others here on this TripAdivsor forum.

You are welcome back with open arms......anytime!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

What a great hotel. We were in the studio room. It was big, modern and clean. They clean your room twice a day and put small chocolate near your pillow. The pool was the best we have been to in Costa Rica with beautiful design and great view of the forest and the ocean. What was also great at the pool is the constant warm temperture of the water. Georgete from the pool bar was very nice handing us small fresh fruits and drinks. Yolanda from the spa was very professional and kind.
The staff was very friendly always making sure everything is OK. Great thanks to Daniel from the reception and Robert from IT for making big effort helping me recover my SD camera card after virus attack.
Breakfast was amazing. Only hotel we have been to that serve all you can eat 'a la carte' gourmet food. You should also try the afternoon happy hour and tapas bar.
Overall it was the best hotel we have been to in Costa Rica.

• Stayed December 2012
I want to thank our recent guests for allowing us to spoil them during their time here at Gaia Hotel & Reserve.

We are thrilled you had such a good time and our entire staff already miss you.

Please consider this as a welcome back wish from us. We all truly loved having you in our home for the short time you were with us.

Please allow us the pleasure of your residence once again at Gaia. And thank you for posting your review on this TripAdvisor forum.
Ft Myers Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I would like to inform anyone planning on going to Gaia Hotel and Spa. What a wonderful time we had when we were greeted at the entrance by Christian. He was very friendly and welcoming. . Everyone was so friendly and accommodating. Marylyn in the spa was super, my husband had her 2 out of the 3 days. Each day I had a different treatment but my favorite was the coffee bean scrub with the Vichy shower. Aldo in the restaurant was super. Everyone remember your name all the time. They even offered cooking classes if you wanted to cook with the chef. Our room was in the perfect location near the pool, large room with seating area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tommy-Farrell, Owner at Gaia Hotel & Reserve, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
It sounds like our recent guests discovered all that Gaia is about.....warmth, friendliness, professionalism and just plain old luxury in a relaxed atmosphere.

Our spa is indeed world class with it's 6 treatment rooms including a steam and sauna.

Activities are numerous for daily adventures and most of our guests look forward to spending the late afternoon in one of our infinity pool levels enjoying the breathtaking sights of the rainforest and Pacific Ocean.

Thank you for your wonderful comments and sharing them on this TripAdvisor forum. You are now part of the Gaia Family and we welcome you back in the not too distant future.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

This hotel mostly delivered on the 'luxury' part of the Costa Rica trip and I recommend it if this is what you are looking for. I personally did not find it to be the seemingly life changing experience that others have had, experiencing inconsistency with the food - from fabulous to poor and finding the interiors cold. It needs an interior designer to add some depth and warmth to rooms currently lit by recessed neon with clumsy dimmers. Even a table lamp would have been nice, though I loved the fire-exit chic of the exteriors. But I have said I recommend it and here is why.

First - the view from the hotel is stunning. It is worth the drive, I can assure you. I guess the owners might wonder who needs table lamps when you have the scenery this hotel offers - and they'd have a point.

It has some great, friendly staff/concierge, all of whom appear to have been expertly chosen by the managers. Their English was probably better than mine, were very presentable, sorted any issues out quickly and zipped about on their golf carts ferrying guests around with smiles and enthusiasm. Well done all concerned, especially the guy who zipped me down the winding hill on the golf buggy steering with one hand while holding aloft the owners meal with the other. I prayed for you every single second of that short trip, and I don't even believe in the Almighty.

The spa treatment was extremely good - very professional and no nonsense - just an excellent massage (which you will need after your drive). I highly recommend.

The hotel has a great beach service - they'll drive you there (about 5-10 mins) and you'll be looked after by a beach company linked to the hotel offering loungers, shade, drinks and food. Again, no nonsense - it just works. Brilliantly, your bill for this can be added to your room. Nice one.

I like how the pools have been designed to mimic their environment. You will see when you get there. Be in the pool for sunset - it is stunning. You can see the ocean beyond verdant woodland and fields while the sky burns bright orange - did I tell you the views were beautiful?! There is a number to call for bar service at the pool - sadly the phone was rarely there, something raised with the barman but although he understood the English, I am not sure he got the point. There is a happy hour in the restaurant - would be more fun to have it by the pool and make it more of a focal point.

I nearly wrote a bomb just to get one of the manager's brilliantly waspish responses but that would not have been fair - with or without table lamps. So do come to this place, but make it part of a trip that ensures you see as much of this wonderful country as you can. Also, no kids allowed, so don't rock up with any and expect to get in - you won't, thank goodness.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
We are thrilled you took the time to comment on our hotel. Your comments mean a lot to us and we are passing all of your wonderful comments onto our entire staff.

Thank you for recommending our hotel to others and sharing your thoughts on this TripAdvisor forum.

Been to Gaia Hotel & Reserve? Share your experiences!