“VIP treatment in a very special place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gaia Hotel & Reserve

You added Gaia Hotel & Reserve to your Saves list
Gaia Hotel & Reserve
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Km 2.7 Carretera Quepos a Manuel Antonio, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Loco Last Minute Deals
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
new york
“VIP treatment in a very special place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at Gaia for four nights with my nineteen year old son. It is a really exceptionally wonderful hotel. The grounds are very beautiful as was our room.We had a suite The staff were excellent, friendly professional and made one feel like a VIP at every turn. They are extremely hard working. The food as well as the decor in the restaurant was amazing. We ate there two nights and had lunch as well. Each time the service, presentation and quality was impeccable. The breakfasts were amazing - a huge selection of delicious foods with waiter service. We ate at two other restaurants in Manuel Antonio but they werent nearly as good at the restaurant in the hotel. Another great time was the happy hour which we went to each day to watch the sunset and snack on very reasonably priced and delicious tapas. The reserve on the grounds are really nice to walk around and our guide gave us a good tour. I am very impressed at how they took farmland and turned it into a reserve. We all loved the pool and the views from the pool. I dont usually swim in public pools but this one was irresistable. The hotel was immaculately clean. We met two of the owners and Thomas was friendly and extremely helpful. I told him that our sneakers were wet and we had only had sandals for the next day when we wanted to go hiking. He suggested I call housekeeping. This was at about 8.00pm. They picked up our wet muddy shoes and when I called at 6.30am to see if they were ready they were delivered immediately all warm and clean. That was great service. The other wonderful service that is offered is the car pick up and drop off. We used it often to go into town or the beach. We just told the driver what time we wanted to be picked up and the driver arrived punctually each time. When we left for the beach the driver would have towels in the van for us. We used Mary's on the public beach for chairs and umbrellas which the hotel called ahead for- what an amazing service. The drivers who zipped us up and down on golfcarts were really friendly and happy to stop for us to look for sloths and frogs- they invariably spotted them before we did. All in all it was a wonderful stay and one of the best hotels I have stayed in. The only issues we had and why unfortunately I couldnt give it five stars was that my son slept on a sofa bed which was extremely uncomfortable and noisy. Everytime he turned the bed creaked very loudly and woke him up.We could hear it from our room even with the door closed. Consequently he was a bit grumpy. It is hard to give a hotel five stars if you dont get a good night's sleep. I know that sleeper sofas arent the best for sleep, but this one was really bad. My other peeve was that there werent always available loungers at the pool. It was a bit annoying sometimes when we wanted to sit at the pool and there was nowhere to sit. Maybe it was because it was peak season and the hotel was full. There were probably only twelve loungers scattered around the pool. We have had this problem at bigger and busier hotels and resorts, but it was disappointing to have had it at Gaia as well where attention to detail is so obvious. The areas around the pool are small and secluded which is great if you get a spot, but there were not enough for everyone who wanted to be at the pool almost everytime I was there. There isnt even space on the ground to put a towel to lay on. However, if you did manage to get the loungers and especially the ones at the top behind the waterfall the view was simply stunning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank bafana
Tommy-Farrell, Owner at Gaia Hotel & Reserve, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
WE are so very happy our guests felt like VIP's.....since that was the objective all along.

Your comprehensive review was welcoming and we thank you for taking your personal time to make your wonderful comments on our staff, food, decor and overall surroundings.

Your comment on the sofa bed is taken seriously and I wish we had known of this during your stay as we have extra bedding available that would have been much more comfortable.

Thank you so very much for having spent your holiday with us and we look forward to your return visit......

Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Firstly, the place is beautiful and the food awesome! One of the owners picked us up from the airport, which was very nice and convenient. Although modern, you never forget that you are in the middle of beautiful nature given the hotel's location, and views from the room, restaurant, pool, etc. Really cool, romantic place. Quiet, serene, simply lovely!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dretosavetheday
Tommy-Farrell, Owner at Gaia Hotel & Reserve, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Wonderful...!! Marvelous...!! Thank you for coming to Gaia Hotel & Reserve and allowing us to have you in our home for the short period you were here in Costa Rica.

Our staff from the front desk to our restaurant staff to our pool attendants still speak of your kind words and meaningful understanding of what we have created here at our 5 star resort.

Thank you for sharing your most memorable experience with others here on this TripAdivsor forum.

You are welcome back with open arms......anytime!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

What a great hotel. We were in the studio room. It was big, modern and clean. They clean your room twice a day and put small chocolate near your pillow. The pool was the best we have been to in Costa Rica with beautiful design and great view of the forest and the ocean. What was also great at the pool is the constant warm temperture of the water. Georgete from the pool bar was very nice handing us small fresh fruits and drinks. Yolanda from the spa was very professional and kind.
The staff was very friendly always making sure everything is OK. Great thanks to Daniel from the reception and Robert from IT for making big effort helping me recover my SD camera card after virus attack.
Breakfast was amazing. Only hotel we have been to that serve all you can eat 'a la carte' gourmet food. You should also try the afternoon happy hour and tapas bar.
Overall it was the best hotel we have been to in Costa Rica.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
I want to thank our recent guests for allowing us to spoil them during their time here at Gaia Hotel & Reserve.

We are thrilled you had such a good time and our entire staff already miss you.

Please consider this as a welcome back wish from us. We all truly loved having you in our home for the short time you were with us.

Please allow us the pleasure of your residence once again at Gaia. And thank you for posting your review on this TripAdvisor forum.
Ft Myers Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I would like to inform anyone planning on going to Gaia Hotel and Spa. What a wonderful time we had when we were greeted at the entrance by Christian. He was very friendly and welcoming. . Everyone was so friendly and accommodating. Marylyn in the spa was super, my husband had her 2 out of the 3 days. Each day I had a different treatment but my favorite was the coffee bean scrub with the Vichy shower. Aldo in the restaurant was super. Everyone remember your name all the time. They even offered cooking classes if you wanted to cook with the chef. Our room was in the perfect location near the pool, large room with seating area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Tommy-Farrell, Owner at Gaia Hotel & Reserve, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
It sounds like our recent guests discovered all that Gaia is about.....warmth, friendliness, professionalism and just plain old luxury in a relaxed atmosphere.

Our spa is indeed world class with it's 6 treatment rooms including a steam and sauna.

Activities are numerous for daily adventures and most of our guests look forward to spending the late afternoon in one of our infinity pool levels enjoying the breathtaking sights of the rainforest and Pacific Ocean.

Thank you for your wonderful comments and sharing them on this TripAdvisor forum. You are now part of the Gaia Family and we welcome you back in the not too distant future.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

This hotel mostly delivered on the 'luxury' part of the Costa Rica trip and I recommend it if this is what you are looking for. I personally did not find it to be the seemingly life changing experience that others have had, experiencing inconsistency with the food - from fabulous to poor and finding the interiors cold. It needs an interior designer to add some depth and warmth to rooms currently lit by recessed neon with clumsy dimmers. Even a table lamp would have been nice, though I loved the fire-exit chic of the exteriors. But I have said I recommend it and here is why.

First - the view from the hotel is stunning. It is worth the drive, I can assure you. I guess the owners might wonder who needs table lamps when you have the scenery this hotel offers - and they'd have a point.

It has some great, friendly staff/concierge, all of whom appear to have been expertly chosen by the managers. Their English was probably better than mine, were very presentable, sorted any issues out quickly and zipped about on their golf carts ferrying guests around with smiles and enthusiasm. Well done all concerned, especially the guy who zipped me down the winding hill on the golf buggy steering with one hand while holding aloft the owners meal with the other. I prayed for you every single second of that short trip, and I don't even believe in the Almighty.

The spa treatment was extremely good - very professional and no nonsense - just an excellent massage (which you will need after your drive). I highly recommend.

The hotel has a great beach service - they'll drive you there (about 5-10 mins) and you'll be looked after by a beach company linked to the hotel offering loungers, shade, drinks and food. Again, no nonsense - it just works. Brilliantly, your bill for this can be added to your room. Nice one.

I like how the pools have been designed to mimic their environment. You will see when you get there. Be in the pool for sunset - it is stunning. You can see the ocean beyond verdant woodland and fields while the sky burns bright orange - did I tell you the views were beautiful?! There is a number to call for bar service at the pool - sadly the phone was rarely there, something raised with the barman but although he understood the English, I am not sure he got the point. There is a happy hour in the restaurant - would be more fun to have it by the pool and make it more of a focal point.

I nearly wrote a bomb just to get one of the manager's brilliantly waspish responses but that would not have been fair - with or without table lamps. So do come to this place, but make it part of a trip that ensures you see as much of this wonderful country as you can. Also, no kids allowed, so don't rock up with any and expect to get in - you won't, thank goodness.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
4 Thank Fabregasuk
We are thrilled you took the time to comment on our hotel. Your comments mean a lot to us and we are passing all of your wonderful comments onto our entire staff.

Thank you for recommending our hotel to others and sharing your thoughts on this TripAdvisor forum.
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

We made a last minute reservation at this beautiful hotel between the towns of Quepos and Manuel Antonio, near the national park bearing the same name as the latter. The reservationist, Paola, was delightful and professional. She remained in contact with us through email during the weeks that preceded our arrival and was very attentive to every detail.

We were greeted at the Quepos Airport by Alex. He was the main driver for the hotel. A very warm and hospitable individual who made an excellent 2nd impression.

Upon our arrival, we were greeted by Paola, and then whisked up the hill to the reception where we were greeted by several members if the concierge staff. All were very warm, personable and ready to cater to our ever need.

One of them, in particular, distinguished himself as the consummate professional. His name is Andres Vindas. He is a credit to the hotel as he was always making sure that we were well taken care of....whether it was the spa, the restaurant, housekeeping or the different guides on the 5 tours that we took. What a pleasure to work with someone who enjoyed his work pampering others.

The hotel is lovely. The room was spotless, the restaurant was excellent and the professionals in the spa were of world class caliber. I had several deep tissues massages by Anna. Both massages were done perfectly. I cannot recall ever having a better spa experience. My wife had a massage, a 90 minute facial and a foot reflexology session that were all wonderful experiences.

The bed and linens were luxurious and the bathroom, Jacuzzi and shower a true pleasure. Our room was cleaned perfectly each day by the attentive housekeeping staff.

Our room included a couples massage, a $50 dining credit, a private tour of the on site nature reserve and a full breakfast each morning, either in our room or in the restaurant. Wow!

We toured the national park with Catia, an obviously well-educated Tica who was as charming as she was knowledgeable. She had a telescope with her and expertly spotted sloths, monkeys, bats and birds for us to view. She even took pictures with out cameras through her telescopic lens. If you your the park, be sure to spend some time on the 2 beaches inside of the park. They are both magnificent and much quieter than the nearby public park beach.

We also took a white water rafting tour. Our main guide was Flippy. Don't be fooled by the name, he is funny, nice and an expert rafting guide.

The 4 wheeling tour was also very fun but the 2 tours that were the most fun were the zipline and jet skis.

If you do the zip line (it's actually 10 zip lunes plus the Superman zip line, for a total of 11), YOU MUST do the Superman zip line at the end of the tour. Some didn't and they will regret it. If you skip any part of that your, you should skip what they call the "puzzle course" offered after the first 7 of the 10 zip lines that precede the Superman zip line.

The jet ski tour was a blast. We were able to moor the jet skis near some coral rock formations and snorkel. It was only a 2 hour tour. We each had jet skis. If I were to do it again, I would ride together with my wife and share driving duty.

If possible, I recommend a direct flight to San Jose and then the 20 minute flight on Sansa Airlines from San Jose to Quepos. You can get there by car from San Jose but it costa more to drive than to fly and takes 3 hours instead of 20 minutes. To us, it was a "no brainer" even though my wife doesn't like small planes. Having said that, the flight was so short that you didn't have time to be scared!

From the Quepos Airport, the Hotel Gaia is less than 10 minutes by car. Alex will gladly pick you up and take you to paradise.

I give this place my highest rating and recommend that you go before everyone else finds out about it and you are unable to get a reservation.

Bret Gerard

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Bret G
Thanking our recent guests for taking their personal time to write a wonderful review of our hotel.

And your comments on our staff are most welcoming. They deserve these comments as they are the very best around. Truly compassionate and genuine.

We wish you every happiness in 2013 and welcome you back to our little piece of Paradise in the future.
Brussels
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

The hotel, staff, facilities and food were simply amazing. They all made our stay fun, comfortable and stress free. Meticulous attention to detail everywhere. The owner must really enjoy life to create such a resort...

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tommy-Farrell, Owner at Gaia Hotel & Reserve, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
We loved having our recent guests spend time with us at Gaia. We were happy to spoil them in ways they never expected.

Attention to detail is the key along with meticulous service. And after that, more service. Our staff knows this and creates an atmosphere that is truly magical for our guests.

Thank you for sharing your time with us on the Gaia property and sharing your wonderful experience with other readers on this TripAdvisor forum.

Please visit us again.
Falls Resort at Manuel Antonio
Falls Resort at Manuel Antonio
#8 of 49 in Manuel Antonio National Park
4.5 of 5 stars 810 reviews

Been to Gaia Hotel & Reserve? Share your experiences!