“Wow! The Gaia is amazing and we had a fabulous 25th anniversary!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gaia Hotel & Reserve

Save Saved
You added Gaia Hotel & Reserve to your Saves list
Gaia Hotel & Reserve
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Km 2.7 Carretera Quepos a Manuel Antonio, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
SAVE $$$ NOW
Jupiter, Florida
“Wow! The Gaia is amazing and we had a fabulous 25th anniversary!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I don't even know where to begin. We had planned our trip on Orbitz with another couple who was also having their 25th anniversary. We had no idea what we were getting into, but we were excited about our adventure to Costa Rica. As with any trip, we were anxious and hoping the accommodations were adequate.
I will just start off by saying that adequate and anxious were wiped out the minute we arrived. As soon as we parked our SUV, Christian met us at the bottom of the hill with a warm greeting that made us feel at home and whisked us up to the resort in the golf cart. He introduced us to our personal concierge - Andres who promised to take care of our every need during our stay which was 10 days. Jokingly, the 4 of us said "OK, we will put you to the test".

Andres not only delivered on his promise, he exceeded our expectations as did the entire staff of the Gaia. The place is amazing with some of the best views of the Pacific sunsets ever. We live in Florida and the beaches near Manuel Antonio are the most beautiful I have seen in my life (including Fl, California, the Caribbean Islands and Mexico).

I would like to thank all of the staff who were amazing and deserving of the 5 star rating, but would like to especially recognize Andres, Christian, Aldo, and Juan Diego! Thank you for making our trip the most memorable we have ever had. And Andres, you were true to your word by booking us the best excursions for the price we could have imagined...We zip lined through the mountains, white water rafted with beautiful waterfalls, saw 8 pairs of humpback whales on our snorkeling adventure, enjoyed the volcano trip (thanks Eric-our guide), and the gals enjoyed their spa day...P.S. it was over the top when Andres set us up to watch the Dolphins-Jets game in the meeting room with the 55in TV!!

My wife and the couple with us made many new friends and cannot wait to return to Costa Rica and the Gaia Resort!

Gregg Simpson
Jupiter, Fl

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tommy-Farrell, Owner at Gaia Hotel & Reserve, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
We at Gaia Hotel & Reserve are indeed very pleased that we exceeded your expectations. Thank you for taking the time to mention some of our staff members by name as they are truly what makes our unique and personal resort very special and apart from others in the area.

We feel as owners of the Gaia property here in Manuel Antonio that we raised the bar in terms of service, excellence, atmosphere, interaction and overall ambiance. This has been achieved in our 6 short years in existence.

Thank you for your very kind words and we welcome you back again soon so as to enable us to spoil you once more.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Gaia Hotel is an amazing place to stay! It is peaceful and beautiful and the entire staff is so nice and helpful. The food was great and the views were stunning. The service that we received was 5 stars from the moment that our driver picked us up at the airport! Jorge picked us up at the airport in San Jose and we had a great trip with him to our hotel. Fabio, who was our personal concierge at the hotel, was extremely nice and helpful the entire time. Can't say enough good things about the entire staff at the hotel - excellent service!! Sandy and Gabriela were our reservation contacts and they helped us plan our stay - very professional service! The massages at the hotel spa were very relaxing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Tommy-Farrell, Owner at Gaia Hotel & Reserve, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
We at Gaia are over the top thrilled you had such a wonderful time at our peaceful resort.

Nothing at Gaia is short of amazing and and are happy that we achieved this with you during your stay with us.

Our staff indeed is amazing and we treat each one like a member of our family. This translates to our guests who immediately become one of the family members at Gaia not only during their stay but well after.

Thank you for allowing us to share the magic and wonder that we have created here and we welcome you back in the very near future.
Atlanta,GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We just returned today from an amazing time at Gaia. Tripadvisor truly helped me narrow down the BEST pick after reading the reviews. I do not know where to begin, it was EVERYTHING we needed and wanted in a vacation.
1. Food: The food that the CHEF prepared was AMAZING. There was truly no need to leave the resort as we wanted to try everything on the menu. I am a big time foodie and we live in Atlanta where the are a number of fabulous restaurants, BUT I must say this is by far the best food that I have ever had at a hotel/resort during my travels. (Loved the 24/7 room service and they were always quick)
2. Service: When we arrived like others it was pouring down raining and the staff at the hotel was very pleasant ALL THE TIME. They were very alert to our needs and anything we needed they took care of it very quickly. Somehow we were taken to the wrong room which I noticed since we booked the Jungle View Suite through expedia and we were put in a studio. I notified our personal concierge right after we walked in and within 10mins the manager Andy contacted us and apologized. Since we were in the middle of a down pour the manager promised to have a special surprise in the morning. In the morning we were moved from the studio to the Deluxe Suite which was amazing. It was private/intimate which included a private balcony and private roof top terrace that overlooked the pacific ocean and rainforest.
Andy the manager was always so accommodating. The staff at Gaia is the BEST and I stay in hotels and etc quite often. To me this speaks volumes about the management staff!!! They surpassed my expectations.
3. Property: The room was gorgeous very contemporary. I have no complaints after being upgraded from the Jungle View Suite to the Deluxe Suite. I was amazed by the view that we had from our room waking up to the Pacific Ocean and Rainforest. I laid out at the pool for hours as you have the same view with the Pacific Ocean and the rainforest. While swimming in the pool we saw iguanas, beautiful birds, and another couple who spent most of their time on the 2nd tier were able to get pictures on monkeys playing in the trees. We went on the complimentary hike of the reserve at 7am and it was BEAUTIFUL. Dennis was an excellent tour guide. This is a hike (it is a workout) that you do not want to miss as you will get some amazing views and a great opportunity to take pictures. You find yourself getting lost in the beauty of this place. It is truly an oasis for nature lovers.
4. Tours: MUST do the Zipline Tour (make sure you do the superman). Fabio set us up for the Zipline tour and the views for this nature fanatic were simply breathtaking. We went on the tour that ended with an authentic costa rican lunch which was excellent. We also went on a private tour with Dennis to the beautiful Manuel Antonio Park. As others have mentioned it is worth paying the extra money to have a private tour that is provided through Gaia. We also met others who mentioned that they did not see anything because they did not have a guide. On our visit we saw rare flock of toucan's, monkeys: White-face, Howler, and squirrel, snake, birds, crabs, two-toed & three-toed sloths and etc. The beaches after the tour were amazing so make sure you bring your bathing suit. If you can arrive in the morning/afternoon that would be the BEST time so that you are able to experience the ride, also there is a stop along the way at a river that is full of crocodiles. *Also I initially wanted to experience the Catamaran but I was glad that we did not go with that choice this time because we met another couple from another resort and were informed that whales have already migrated so they did not see anything when they went on the tour*

Cost: THE EXPERIENCE IS WORTH EVERY PENNY. We have paid less at other resorts some which were all inclusive with our food and drinks included. But we have found with those the drinks are watered down or some meals are good...others okay...and some great.
At the GAIA you are paying for the BEST of every aspect of your trip service, food, drinks, property, and it is CONSISTENT. So it is "Worth Every Penny".
Enjoy your stay!!! This is one place where we will be back. The next trip will be for a couples retreat :-)
Andy and Fabio thank you again for your sincere hospitality.

Always,

M & A

Room Tip: Any room that faces the pacific ocean & rainforest. Ask to be on the 2nd floor for a better view...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tommy-Farrell, Owner at Gaia Hotel & Reserve, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Wow...thank you so very much for your complete and comprehensive review of our Gaia Hotel. We truly marvel at the way our guests develop a true passion for Gaia and our staff.

Recognizing our truly excellent 5 star service compliments the very nature of the Costa Rican culture. All of our staff are there for the purpose of pleasing our guests' every desire. And it appears we accomplished that here.

Please come back. We want to have the opportunity to spoil you once again and have you experience once again the magic created here at Gaia.

Thank you for sharing your experience on this TripAdvisor forum.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We had an amazing time at Gaia for a very much needed vacation. The staff are great! They are helpful, attentive and eager to welcome you to Manuel Antonio. We loved getting to know the staff and were sad to leave. The restaurant was great - loved breakfast as it offered some very traditional local food. We took advantage of Happy Hour / Tapas right as the afternoon storms came in. Great views from the restaurant deck and great live music. The Terra Spa was great - the Hot Stone was such a treat!

The National Park is beautiful..we walked straight through to the beaches as we had a great tour around the Hotel Reserve with our guide. Even though it rained every day (rainy season) we had beautiful mornings for the ATV tour (Mario our guide was great!) and the beach / pool.

Overall we couldn't have been happier with our stay. We were very sad when we had to leave but we hope to be back soon. Pura vida!

Room Tip: We were on a lower level so we couldn't quite see to the ocean but had a beautiful view of the r...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tommy-Farrell, Owner at Gaia Hotel & Reserve, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Indeed, the perfect getaway at Gaia starts with our incredible staff. They will be as attentive as our guests require and have a keen sense of providing just the right amount of interaction combined with privacy.

We are so pleased that you had such a wonderful time. And you are very much correct...there is always next time to return again to Gaia and experience all the wonderful things to do (or not -just sit by our wonderful pools) in and around the Manuel Antonio area. We literally have guests that return year after year to enjoy the magic we have created here at Gaia.

Thank you for sharing your experience here on this TripAdvisor forum.
Kuwait City, Kuwait
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I can't believe I even hesitated before booking a two night stay at the Gaia. I must admit, the price almost put me off at first but after extensive search, I decided to spoil myself and stay at the Gaia. I didn't regret. In fact, I'm glad I went with my gut feeling. I stayed there on the first weekend on October, it rained a lot but that didn't ruin my trip. I was traveling alone and felt VERY safe. The staff, starting with Karen who checked me in and followed up with me, are professional, friendly and well-mannered. The gigantic room was clean, the water warm and toileteries were promptly replaced.

The breakfast is PERFECT. You can order from the exact same menu and have your meal in your room at no extra charge. I also had an unforgettable salad (I think it was the Gaia salad); so refreshing! I was really disappointed with the papaya soup though, but it really wasn't for me.

The staff recommended different tours for me and managed my booking. I ended up doing an ATV tour which was fun - even though I was alone. The single bedroom is LARGE and could easily accomodate three people. One of the best things about the hotel was the car service that was operated by the Gaia's polite drivers. I was dropped off and picked up around Quepos and even in Manuel Antonio. My only regret was not seeing the Manuel Antonio National Park because I spent so much time lounging around the hotel.

On a final note, I also had dinner at a nearby hotel/resort. My friends were staying there and loved it but the drive there was SCARY. The Gaia is more accessible and very well-lit. You'll understand what I mean if you compare it to other hotels on a dark, rainy night!

Room Tip: My room didn't have a view, so maybe ask if they do have something with a better view?
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Tommy-Farrell, Owner at Gaia Hotel & Reserve, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
The entire Gaia staff is genuinely thrilled that they were able to make your holiday with us very special and accommodating.

As an adults only property, we cater to honeymoon couples, anniversary couples, singles and those who just want to get away from it all for a short period. Friendliness pervades the very essence of Gaia and life long friends are often made here.

Thank you for mentioning how inviting Gaia was with our special lighting effects at night. We spare nothing to make our guests feel safe and at home.

Thank you for sharing your Gaia experience here on this TripAdvisor forum.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

We just checked out a few hours ago and I could not wait to tell people about this amazing resort. Firstly, I felt like I was part of a family from the minute I set foot on the property! Everyone at the resort is genuinely happy to see you and the attention to detail is unparalleled. Andy, our personal concierge was an absolute delight! Her attention to detail was top notch! Anyone lucky enough to get her has won the lottery! Noelia at the Terra spa was off the top! Her massages were incredibly relaxing! Although Orlando was not our personal concierge, he made sure we were taken care of. He paid attention to detail and his gorgeous smile is priceless! La Luna restaurant is heaven! Everything we ate there was gourmet quality and amazingly delicious! Make sure you try the Costa Rican fruits such as Papaya and Pinapple. The pineapple is the best in the world!
It was such a pleasure meeting one of the owners Boris, his Mom, and puppies Tory and Tarzan! I hope you had a fun birthday Boris! Deb and I appreciate the celebration last night for both our birthdays! It was truly a pleasure meeting you! I could go on and on about this lovely place! I did however want to recommend the White Water Rafting tour. It was truly exhilarating! The crew at Amigos del Rio were excellent! Anthony our tour guide was the best! This is a tour that is a MUST!
Finally, as I could go on forever...Today we were flying back to San Jose on a Sansa flight from Quepos and some how my friend Deb got the times mistaken. Needless to say, we were not getting out of Quepos on a flight that day. The hotel Gaia and the staff mainly Andy arranged for us to be transported by land back to San Jose! I truly want to thank each driver especially the one that drove us to San Jose! He was so sweet and entertaining! Thank you everyone for making this such a special vacation! I truly fell in love with the Ticos! They all have a lovely spirit and exude warmth and passion! Pura Vida!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
We love nothing more than to receive comments such as the one above from our recent guests.

Gaia is all about genuine similes, service and uncompromising attention to detail when it comes to our guests and their desires.

We have saying at Gaia.........For our guests, it is all that you deserve and much more than you expect.

We have shared you kind comments with our wonderful staff who you have highlighted here and they are very grateful for your making special mention of them.

Please return so we can once again spoil you both and keep the magic flowing.
Pueblo, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Wonderful stay here! My girlfriend, diane, and I, could not be happier with the service here. Staff is 1st class! Sandy and Gabriela in reservations to the staff were very helpful. We are at Gaia right now. Absolutely wonderful, even with the rains!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanking our recent guests for their very kind comments on their stay at Gaia.

We welcome your feedback and our staff will only do what comes naturally to them......which is to give our guests the very best 5 star service possible. They are trained in the finer points but the underlying nature is quite genuine.

Thank you for sharing your experience on this TripAdvisor forum.

Been to Gaia Hotel & Reserve? Share your experiences!