“Don't hesitate, just book!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gaia Hotel & Reserve

Save Saved
You added Gaia Hotel & Reserve to your Saves list
Gaia Hotel & Reserve
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Km 2.7 Carretera Quepos a Manuel Antonio, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
Special Offer
ONLY THROUGH TRIPADVISOR
Kuwait City, Kuwait
“Don't hesitate, just book!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I can't believe I even hesitated before booking a two night stay at the Gaia. I must admit, the price almost put me off at first but after extensive search, I decided to spoil myself and stay at the Gaia. I didn't regret. In fact, I'm glad I went with my gut feeling. I stayed there on the first weekend on October, it rained a lot but that didn't ruin my trip. I was traveling alone and felt VERY safe. The staff, starting with Karen who checked me in and followed up with me, are professional, friendly and well-mannered. The gigantic room was clean, the water warm and toileteries were promptly replaced.

The breakfast is PERFECT. You can order from the exact same menu and have your meal in your room at no extra charge. I also had an unforgettable salad (I think it was the Gaia salad); so refreshing! I was really disappointed with the papaya soup though, but it really wasn't for me.

The staff recommended different tours for me and managed my booking. I ended up doing an ATV tour which was fun - even though I was alone. The single bedroom is LARGE and could easily accomodate three people. One of the best things about the hotel was the car service that was operated by the Gaia's polite drivers. I was dropped off and picked up around Quepos and even in Manuel Antonio. My only regret was not seeing the Manuel Antonio National Park because I spent so much time lounging around the hotel.

On a final note, I also had dinner at a nearby hotel/resort. My friends were staying there and loved it but the drive there was SCARY. The Gaia is more accessible and very well-lit. You'll understand what I mean if you compare it to other hotels on a dark, rainy night!

Room Tip: My room didn't have a view, so maybe ask if they do have something with a better view?
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Tommy-Farrell, Owner at Gaia Hotel & Reserve, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
The entire Gaia staff is genuinely thrilled that they were able to make your holiday with us very special and accommodating.

As an adults only property, we cater to honeymoon couples, anniversary couples, singles and those who just want to get away from it all for a short period. Friendliness pervades the very essence of Gaia and life long friends are often made here.

Thank you for mentioning how inviting Gaia was with our special lighting effects at night. We spare nothing to make our guests feel safe and at home.

Thank you for sharing your Gaia experience here on this TripAdvisor forum.

778 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

We just checked out a few hours ago and I could not wait to tell people about this amazing resort. Firstly, I felt like I was part of a family from the minute I set foot on the property! Everyone at the resort is genuinely happy to see you and the attention to detail is unparalleled. Andy, our personal concierge was an absolute delight! Her attention to detail was top notch! Anyone lucky enough to get her has won the lottery! Noelia at the Terra spa was off the top! Her massages were incredibly relaxing! Although Orlando was not our personal concierge, he made sure we were taken care of. He paid attention to detail and his gorgeous smile is priceless! La Luna restaurant is heaven! Everything we ate there was gourmet quality and amazingly delicious! Make sure you try the Costa Rican fruits such as Papaya and Pinapple. The pineapple is the best in the world!
It was such a pleasure meeting one of the owners Boris, his Mom, and puppies Tory and Tarzan! I hope you had a fun birthday Boris! Deb and I appreciate the celebration last night for both our birthdays! It was truly a pleasure meeting you! I could go on and on about this lovely place! I did however want to recommend the White Water Rafting tour. It was truly exhilarating! The crew at Amigos del Rio were excellent! Anthony our tour guide was the best! This is a tour that is a MUST!
Finally, as I could go on forever...Today we were flying back to San Jose on a Sansa flight from Quepos and some how my friend Deb got the times mistaken. Needless to say, we were not getting out of Quepos on a flight that day. The hotel Gaia and the staff mainly Andy arranged for us to be transported by land back to San Jose! I truly want to thank each driver especially the one that drove us to San Jose! He was so sweet and entertaining! Thank you everyone for making this such a special vacation! I truly fell in love with the Ticos! They all have a lovely spirit and exude warmth and passion! Pura Vida!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
We love nothing more than to receive comments such as the one above from our recent guests.

Gaia is all about genuine similes, service and uncompromising attention to detail when it comes to our guests and their desires.

We have saying at Gaia.........For our guests, it is all that you deserve and much more than you expect.

We have shared you kind comments with our wonderful staff who you have highlighted here and they are very grateful for your making special mention of them.

Please return so we can once again spoil you both and keep the magic flowing.
Pueblo, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Wonderful stay here! My girlfriend, diane, and I, could not be happier with the service here. Staff is 1st class! Sandy and Gabriela in reservations to the staff were very helpful. We are at Gaia right now. Absolutely wonderful, even with the rains!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanking our recent guests for their very kind comments on their stay at Gaia.

We welcome your feedback and our staff will only do what comes naturally to them......which is to give our guests the very best 5 star service possible. They are trained in the finer points but the underlying nature is quite genuine.

Thank you for sharing your experience on this TripAdvisor forum.
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Costa Rica is a beautiful country. We were very pleased with our stay at the Gaia Reserve. It is true that it is a bit of a drive from the airport in San Jose but the driver we had, Alex, did a great job of making sure we were taken care of along the way. The hotel was beautiful and because there are few rooms the staff is able to give their guests full attention. They all do a wonderful job: Alexander in the office, Diego and Aldo in the restaurant, Noella at the spa just to name a few. We truly had a wonderful time and didn't have a problem redeeming all the perks in our travel-zoo package. We definitely will visit again. Pura Vida!

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you.....thank you! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and we were able to devote so much attention to you both.
We look forward to your return visit and hope you spread the word on our magical part of Costa Rica here at Gaia Hotel & Reserve.
Thank you for using this Tripadvisor forum.
Tyngsboro, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Gaia Hotel in the middle of August for the end of our honeymoon. Everything from start to finish was superb. We arrived in a pouring rain storm tired from our 6hr drive from Tamarindo, the moment we drove on the property the concierge was right there to open my car door with a umbrella. We were assigned "Fabio" as our personal assistant and he was absolutely stunning in taking care of us over our four day stay providing us with multiple reservations and arrangements. Please make it a point to visit the restaurant, as the food was superb and proves that fine dining can be had in Manuel Antonio.

As for the rooms, I think the other comments say it best, they were stunning well equipped and comfortable. Thank you Gaia for making our honeymoon in Costa Rica end perfectly!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
We are thrilled you came to Gaia and the entire staff were able to make your very special honeymoon just that.........special.
Thank you for allowing us to spoil you and making some very special memories for you to treasure for the rest of your lives.
Please come back for those anniversaries so we can share with you a very special experience once again.
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Service is second to none! The staff is incredibly helpful. Our travel deal package came with transportation from/to airport, breakfast, one night of a three course dinner with a bottle of wine, and 4 ninety min massages. Breakfast is very good...could not ask for better coffee :) Food and happy hour in general are great. Spa is amazing (though I would've appreciated a slightly warmer room during my massages). Rooms are clean and comfortable. Shower pressure is awesome. Free wifi, cable tv, central ac, blow dryer, room safe, bath robes...everything you need. Pool is kept at a comfortable temperature with the best view. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Tommy-Farrell, Owner at Gaia Hotel & Reserve, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for your very kind comments.

Indeed our staff are what makes Gaia work day after day. Our service is indeed second to none and we appreciate you taking notice.

As a 5 star hotel, we do not charge extra for all the various compliments that we afford the Gaia guest. Once on our property, you are treated as one of the family and should not have to pay extra for what we consider normal everyday expectations ie. wifi and complimentary mini spa treatments.

Thank you for your very kind comments and thank you for allowing us to spoil you as you well deserve.
Saint Clair Shores, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We booked our trip from a Travelzoo deal, and I’m so glad we took advantage of this great offer! We discovered such a gem! We traveled during the rainy season so it was less busy and we received more personal attention, but the weather was great. Every morning we had blue skies and sunshine. The clouds would roll in later in the afternoon, and if it rained it did so overnight.

I tried to capture a lot of detail from our trip for those who are interested, but if you want the short version – you will not be disappointed with Gaia at all! It’s a wonderful place with great facilities and amenities, a wonderful staff, and I highly recommend it to everyone! There is wildlife at every turn, the food is incredibly delicious, the views are sensational, and rooms are quiet and comfortable. There was some construction and updates happening while we were there, but it was never a bother. The newly complete wine bar / lounge is a welcoming space with low chairs and a chill vibe. There is also some beautiful local artwork on display for sale. We were only there for four days and didn’t use the pool (I only dipped my foot in one evening, but we never swam). They appeared clean and the water was comfortable.

Before beginning to describe our wonderful time at Gaia, I'd like to encourage anyone going to Gaia to get in touch with the main office before you travel down to book your excursions and spa visits. We did, and it worked out great as we were able to do everything we wanted, which I've read in other reviews was a problem for some. The main office staff is wonderful and super helpful, so don't be afraid to reach out to them.

Our wonderful trip to Gaia started with an enjoyable ride from our first great driver, Jorge. He efficiently navigated the way to Gaia and informed us about his beautiful country along the way. He was very friendly and we enjoyed our conversation with him. Jorge stopped to show us the Tarcoles River that is home to over 4,000 crocodiles! Further down the road, he spotted scarlet macaws so we pulled over to take pictures. That was a great catch on his part because we didn’t see them for the rest of our visit! (Thanks, Jorge!)

When we arrived at Gaia, the friendly, welcoming staff at the gate took our bags and drove us up to the main office for check-in. We were greeted by Andres, our fantastic personal concierge. He took us on a tour of beautiful Gaia which ended in our jungle studio room where he explained the amenities and made sure any of our questions were answered. Our bags followed shortly, we freshened up, and headed to the La Luna Restaurant for a delicious dinner. After dinner, we relaxed for a bit and headed to the Terra Spa for our 90-minute hot stone massages. It was incredible! I highly recommend it! The masseuses were so fantastic. I felt like a noodle when we left. It was so perfect after a day of traveling and it knocked me out. I slept so well in the comfortable bed.

The following morning we had our first scrumptious breakfast at La Luna. After breakfast, we left for the 9 AM Midworld Ziplining Canopy Tour. I cannot recommend this enough (and I’m a giant wimp and was nervous to do this)! It was incredible – especially the Superman line! Simply phenomenal!! The staff at Midworld is so great! We had an amazing adventure there after which they fed us a delicious lunch prepared fresh in their kitchen. We left their property and headed back to Gaia. We relaxed for the rest of the afternoon before heading up to La Luna for another incredible dinner where we met David, one of the owners. It was so nice to meet him and see the care and interest they take in making sure each guest has a fabulous experience at Gaia. The ambiance in the restaurant is so welcoming and comforting. There is live music provided by two talented gentlemen that we greatly enjoyed. The staff at La Luna is just wonderful! Christian mixes up some tasty cocktails! Aldo and Jose took care of us for each of our meals, and we truly enjoyed getting to know these genuinely wonderful men.

On our second morning, we ate another wonderful breakfast before heading off to the Manuel Antonio National Park for a guided tour with Jordan, the resident nature expert at Gaia. We learned a lot on our tour and I’m glad we did it because Jordan’s amazing eyes caught things we would never have seen! We stayed in the park after the tour and saw white-faced monkeys near the Manuel Antonio beach. The only disappointment was that the path to Playa Escondido was closed so we couldn’t see that beach (where some of the movie ’Castaway’ was filmed). We left the park and had lunch at the Marlin Restaurant in Manuel Antonio where we called for transportation back to Gaia. It was a gorgeous day, but I didn’t realize how warm I was and started to feel a little ill. We got back to Gaia, and I rested before getting a deep-tissue massage at the Terra Spa. It was very healing and I felt great by the time I went to La Luna to join my husband. I found him relaxing in the lounge adjacent to the restaurant watching NFL on the big screen. Christian and Jose brought us our drinks, appetizers and dinner in the lounge. It was a perfect evening.

The following day we had breakfast and went on the Manuel Antonio Catamaran Adventure. It was so awesome!! The Ocean King Catamaran (the largest in Central America) is a two-story vessel with a full bar and two hot tubs. The staff was very pleasant and professional. We got lucky again as we saw both bottle-nosed dolphins and humpback whales on our tour. It was an incredible experience! The last part of the excursion was snorkeling off the coast and it was very cool! After snorkeling, they opened up the two slides on the back of the boat and you can jump off the side – very fun afternoon! They provided a great lunch before returning to port. This is another excursion that I highly recommend!

Our last morning at Gaia was just as wonderful as every other and it made me sad to leave. We had a great breakfast and said goodbye to the staff at La Luna before heading down to the main office to check out. I cannot wait to go back! I felt very at home at Gaia and very well cared for. Our driver back to San Jose, Andres, was also very wonderful. It was a pleasure to meet him as well. Everyone we interacted with embodied the Pura Vida spirit and I’m trying to hold onto it as well until I can get back to Gaia. Muchos gracias mis amigos!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Wow.....9 paragraphs full of our recent guests wonderful experience here at Gaia. Indeed, I do believe we created some magic here.

When all is said and done, we have added yet more wonderful guests to the Gaia family. Your wonderful comments make our time and experience here at Gaia all worthwhile. This is exactly why Gaia was created.

Thank you for taking your personal time to write on this TripAdvisor forum....it means a lot to us.

Please return soon....we'll be waiting for you.

Been to Gaia Hotel & Reserve? Share your experiences!