“Not worth it” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa

Save Saved
You added Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa to your Saves list
Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Waterfront, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
piscataway, nj
“Not worth it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed in penthouse suite 102. I requested them balcony room before but they gave 102 which doesn't have balcony but very nice views as it's on the top floor-duplex style. We saw beautiful sunset on pacific from our room. The problem was with the shower faucet. Hot and cold water flow was not maintained and if someone else uses water at the same time in hotel, you can hardly get any water and it became annoying so we asked for change in room. Service was very nice and everyone who worked there were very helpful. They gave us room 103 which is in the middle floor and that was with balcony. Water flow was much much better and view was still spectacular. Trees partially blocked view of ocean but I am glad they are not allowed to cut trees and destroy nature for better views. Jacuzzi are good but dont stay at issimo for that coz it's not worth it. Their linens smell bad and we used perfumes all over them to get rid of that smell. We also found scorpion on our wall and when we called they took care of it immediately but that was really scary. We are vegetarians and hotel chef was very nice to make fettuccine with veggies, burrito and quesadilla and all were fantastic. Every morning we had nice breakfast also. You will definitely see Capuchin monkeys visiting and we also saw sloth. There is a small beach 10 min far and it was secluded and nice but there is no transport available from hotel unlike many others in the same area. Beaches in national park are much better in view and you will definitely see more wildlife there. The only reason why I gave 3 stars is because of staff and spectacular views and of corse monkeys.

Room Tip: Don't go for 102 (top floor) unless they promise you proper water flow!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
IssimoSuites, General Manager at Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Shreya s
We are sorry about your disappointment, and that we did not fulfill your expectations.
Water flow is usually not an issue, as we have an electric pump that pushes up the water to the top of the building. We are going to have a deeper look into this matter, to see why you did not get good water flow.
We use a third party laundry service for basically two reasons: first to protect the environment, as we don't have the capacity to treat large amounts of residual waters, and second because they are professional in industrial hotel laundry cleaning. Our linens don't smell, an probably you didn't like the scent of the detergent they use; we spoke with the laundry company, and they told us that one person out of one thousand have this reaction.
We understand the fear of the scorpion, however there is nothing we can do about it. Our hotel is basically located in the jungle, and there is no way that keeps out bugs/critters. What we do is keep our rooms as clean as we can, and constantly check them. We also encourage customers not to feed monkeys, as bugs are part of their diet. We DO NOT use any kind of chemical to control bugs, to not harm the environment.
We sincerely hope that you give us another chance the next time you'll visit our country.

537 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Houston, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed at Issimo Suites in June of 2013 for our one year anniversary. We were staying for a week but extended our stay for 3 more days because we couldn't bare to leave! We've always traveled all-inclusive and stayed right on the beach so it was definitely a different change of pace for us. The staff was very nice and helpful when asked. They don't pester you at all. This actually took some getting used to after always being waited on hand and foot but we enjoyed it. There were monkeys on our balcony and our room was fabulous. It's in the trees but the views are spectacular. The breakfast is awesome and included. The drinks were NOT very good and absolutely not worth the price considering we found some amazing restaurants and bars throughout the area.

All in all we had a great experience and would go back another time!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
IssimoSuites, General Manager at Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Stephanie B,
Than you for taking some time to write this nice comment!
We are sorry for the drinks, and we are going to have a deeper look into this issue, as we usually serve very good drinks.

Saludos,

PS
Next time we'll make sure you get the best drink ever... on the house!
Spring, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Beautiful specialty hotel which has views from your balcony over the jungle and to the sea. They cater to couples. We had a very large room with a large balcony that was totally private. There were lots of monkeys and if you go down to the restaurant at exactly 6:00 am, you will get quite a show. At night, they decorated our room with candles and flower petals. The only reason I did not give the hotel an excellent rating is I felt the food was expensive and could be improved. However, you can always go out to eat. We learned it is best to go into town, get a bottle of wine and or beer because it can get pricey through the hotel. The beaches in town have a lot of vendors that will bother you throughout the day and I didn't think it was that pretty. However, Manuel Antonio National Park has gorgeous beaches that are very secluded and picture perfect. Take tennis shoes for the walk into the park and then switch into a bathing suit at the beach. They have bathrooms but I would simply wear the suit under my clothes, take your own towel. The racoons will grab your bags, looking for food if you are close to the jungle. If you go into town, you will need a cab. The cab fee is $8 one way. We started to rent a car but after seeing the roads, we thought it was too risky.

Room Tip: If you have a higher room, you have a better view.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This place is a smaller boutique style hotel in Manuel Antonio. We purposely came here with no itinerary, luckily the front desk was very helpful in booking local activities for us. The horseback riding and river rafting was our two favorite. The beach is 5 minutes away (driving). Tip: If you plan on going to the beach or the national park, go all the way to the end. Locals will try to tell you to stop to park on the street, then you have to walk a little ways.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Trenches831,
We're so glad that you had a great time on your vacation, and that you enjoyed our property!
Next time you'll come we suggest you to take a canopy tour and a mangrove boat trip! You'll be amazed....

Suerte y gracias!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Our entire stay was incredable. We loved waking up to see the monkeys in the morning. It was definitely the highlight of our trip. The staff was very helpful and accommodating. We were welcomed with an amazing couples massage and a bottle of champagne.

• Stayed August 2013
IssimoSuites, General Manager at Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
¸¸.•*¨*•*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Thank you!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I was very impressed with this hotel. The view was magnificent. The room was very spacious and the staff extremely nice and they always had a smile on their face. On our last day, we saw a cute monkey on our balcony. In addition, to the great view we had everyday. This is an excellent place if you are looking for a beautiful place to relax and enjoy with your beloved one. We received a free couple massage which was excellent and very relaxing. The only down side was the bed mattress, which was horrible. Other than that everything was perfect!!!!!

Room Tip: I really enjoyed my room 105. The view was stunning with wide glass windows. From our balcony, we co...
Dear Vancarneiro1507,
Thank you for your review!
We'll definitively take care of the mattress!

Saludos y Suerte!!!
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Just a little note before I continue on with the review, I have never been to Costa Rica until recently. So Issimo Suites is the only hotel I stayed in and that I personally can give an honest review on. Also, this may be a lenghty review as I want to try my best to convey how much my wife and I enjoyed our time here and to help someone get an idea of what they can expect if they stay at Issimo Suites. Thanks :)

My wife and I stayed from 08/13-08/18 in Manuel Antonio (MA) for our honeymoon. We read countless reviews on many hotels in the area but decided on Issimo Suites. We are so glad we stayed there. When strictly going off photos and recent reviews you're basically walking in blind as to what to expect from your hotel. You read the reviews, click through photos, hope it’s exactly the way the previous guest depicted, and pray you don’t get your hopes up. Issimo Suites did not dissapoint. In fact, it surpassed many of our expectations. We stayed in room #104/Penthouse Suite. It was tastefully designed with plenty of tile work, solid word furniture, and comfortable bedding. Our room stayed cool and fresh thanks to the strong A/C unit which is also conveniently remote controlled. There was a nice flat screen to keep us entertained during the night when we were winding down. It had a decent selection of channels (HBO, ESPN, USA, etc). The room was very spacious. It had a king size bed along with two twin sized beds, or what I believed to be twin sized. So I can definitely see this room being shared with possibly two other friends or family members. There was a private toilet with a door so you had your privacy. I read somewhere the toilet was out in the open, perhaps that’s in the junior suite. The room also had a stand up shower and a jacuzzi tub. Margarita, the housekeeper, did a fantastic job of keeping our room clean and stocked with fresh towels creatively designed as swans or hearts. It was a romantic touch. Oh and a quick note before I forget, Issimo caters to adults only. Which is great because a hotel with only 10-12 rooms feels very exclusive and romantic without the worry of kids running about. So we were able to relax poolside with absolute peace and quiet. The pool is not a large pool but it gets the job done. We saw only two other couples at the pool when we were there and most of the time it was just my wife and I. So we felt like we had the hotel to ourselves majority of the stay. It’s a fairly deep pool as well, I think it was 10ft deep maybe more. We had great poolside service by Dixon for happy hour. Dixon was very accomodating and professional. He spoke both English and Spanish which was convenient since mi espanol is not so bueno! He was always nearby and ready to serve with a smile on his face. Dinner there at Issimo Suites was wonderful. The food was delicious and the portions were generous. My wife had the Casado and I had the club sandwich w/fries. The Lizano sauce (Costa Rican staple) they provided was a first for us and we used it on everything - tastes amazing. I ended up buying two bottles in Quepos the next day to bring back home. Moving on, the breakfast buffet with Adrian(new employee at the time), was great. We were often visited by Titi monkeys during this time. They were friendly little monkeys and had a thing for sugar packets! Anyway, to comment on our service during breakfast there Adrian did a swell job. Before I can even get up for a refill of coffee he approached with kettle in hand! I thought that small gesture spoke volumes for his desire to make guests feel like royalty. In fact, everyone there made us feel like royalty. The front desk ran by Arelli was very helpful. She informed us of transportation, bus rides were 280 colones ($0.55) but you had to walk out to the main street which will take you approx 10 min from Issimo. No big deal but if you don’t want to walk she offered us the use of the red taxi cabs which ran approximately 5000 colones ($10) to get to Quepos. We took the bus often since we didn’t mind the morning exercise and for $0.55 you can’t beat it. Next up, I want to mention the private beach that got mixed reviews. It is fairly private in comparison to Playa de Manual Antonio. But it by no means is “private” as in just Issimo Suites’ beach. They may share it with the other two hotels nearby. So it’s not solely Issimo Suites’ private beach. Although, when we went there were only six other people so it felt very private and relaxing. To get there, you leave Issimo, turn right, walk past Shana Hotel then reach these 3 concrete pillars (about 4 ft high) right by the garbage bin and you enter through there. We walked past it the first time and ended up at the end of the street at a different hotel and the person working at that hotel front gate (forget the name) told us to turn back and look for the garbage bin/concrete pillars on our left. Obviously walking from Issimo it would be on your right hand side (towards beach). Total walk: 10-12 min. Now, to get to Playa de Manual Antonio from Issimo is a bit further and quite the walk. I don’t want to get into too much detail how to get there but there’s a tall wooden sign with all the hotels listed on it just after Arenas hotel and that is where you turn in and walk down to the beach. There was a paper sign that said “BEACH – PLAYA” with arrows pointing you to the right direction. Be sure you don’t walk down to Arenas since it is side by side. It is a rocky road that is a bit treacherous so perhaps shoes would be best but my wife and I made it down fine with just our flip flops. Total walk: 20 min. All in all, we enjoyed Issimo Suites and if we ever get a chance to travel to Manual Antonio again we will definitely stay there. Everything from the courteous staff to the comfortable room made it a great stay. I recommend you take some time to relax and enjoy the hotel but also ask the front desk for nearby activities in both Quepos and Manual Antonio. They will no doubt be very informative and help you set up everything from payment to transport. Also, see the Spa for a couples massage. I sadly can’t recall the name of the two therapists who worked on us but it was a rejuvenating massage in a tranquil setting. An absolute must! So Thanks Issimo Suites for making our honeymoon a memorable one. My wife and I wish our stay was longer!

Room Tip: Room 104 (penthouse suite) has an amazing view, probably the best the hotel has to offer!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Rupley..... what a review!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel Staff

Been to Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!