“Beautiful resort for a relaxing getaway....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa

You added Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa to your Saves list
Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Waterfront, Manuel Antonio National Park 6350, Costa Rica   |
Special Price
40% off room rate
Toronto
“Beautiful resort for a relaxing getaway....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for a week and I'm so sad we had to leave. :(

The drive from San Jose airport to the resort was so beautiful.
When we got there, we were greeted with a refreshing watermelon cocktail - which was a nice way to start our vacation.

The view from the resort is breathtaking, I woke up every morning at 4am just to watch the sun rise and listen to the howler monkeys - what an experience!

Breakfast was simple, fresh fruits, croissants, eggs, - just enough to start the day. The lunch and dinner menu was nice (a little overpriced) - but still good. The staff also prepared my coffee every morning and left it in front of our suite which was nice.

We stayed in the junior suite, didn't really need the upgrade since we did a lot of exploring during the week. All our basic needs were provided by the room.

The pool was wonderful to end our hot days, and honestly - I could've spend all day just staring at the scenery from the pool. We even took a little hike (there's a path you can follow by the resort), saw a few lizards and horses which was neat. The beach is also just as beautiful. Be sure to bring lots of water and go early in the morning so its not TOO hot. Monkeys hang out around the resort and it was fun to watch them from our balcony.

We traveled to Quepos occasionally to eat dinner, and walked around town. The residents of the town were friendly and helped us navigate throughout. We took a taxi to quite a few places and the taxi fare was the same all around MA ($8). Ronnie's is also a wonderful place to eat authentic Costa Rican food. I had a WHOLE red snapper to myself and it was DELICIOUS.

We did the ADR Adventure excursion, and loved every minute of it. The rainforest is just gorgeous, I really did feel like I was in Jurassic Park. It was enough to satisfy my adrenaline and took up most of our day. Be sure to bring watershoes or hiking sandals.

The MA National Park tour was nice, but our guide was late for our pick up. When we got there it was very busy, but still got to see a lot of animals. I would recommend to take the 8:30am tour, as the animals are more active during the morning.

I squished in a Spa Day for myself and my boyfriend for a good deal at Issimo. I enjoyed it but my boyfriend didn't feel like the massage was deep enough. I think it really depends on who you end up with. If you want a stronger massage - asking never hurts. I loved it and was asleep the whole time.

We ended our vacation on the catamaran tour, a great way to unwind and enjoy the sights of Costa Rica.

I really wish I could have stayed longer. Costa Rica is such a beautiful country, and already miss it so much.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

If your goal is to escape the busy, commercial, chain hotel experience and really immerse yourself in the nature and experience true peace, this is the place to go. Now, be aware that this hotel is very small and intimate. You will have spectacular views, a very unique room design, delicious food, and excellent service. Note that some of the rooms share a balcony, which is one downfall. But, I really cannot think of another negative to the less expensive junior suites. The upper suites do have their own private pool area, but the main pool at most had 4 or 5 people there during peak times and we always had several options of lounges.

The room design is very unique! Every room features a jacuzzi tub. And the shower and tub is completely open to the rest of the room. The toilet area is only separated by swing doors. But, the air conditioning worked excellent and the decor was really lovely. Huge windows in our junior suite overlooked the jungle and the ocean beyond. There were constant appearances of monkeys, birds, and even a sloth or two. Yes, the towels are a little worn, but the hotel offers so much ambiance, I really cannot complain.

The food was really excellent. We ate most meals in the dining room. The wait staff was very kind and attentive. They are very careful to give you your space during your meal and drinks and not harass. I think some fellow Americans may misinterpret this as being inattentive. We found it very pleasant. I overheard some guests also be surprised that there is no indoor dining area. It can be a little warm sometimes, but there was usually a nice breeze.

The hotel is high up on the mountain, thus it's amazing views. However, if you plan to walk in this area, be aware that the walk is very steep. There is a small beach a short walk away, but the hike back can be a challenge in the heat. Just be careful! The beach is rustic - lots of crabs around and rocky on one side. But, it's also very private.

We took a tour of the Manual Antonio Park and it was amazing! Literally saw tons of monkeys! We regret that we did not stay at the beautiful, less crowded beaches at the end of the park a little longer. I would highly recommend that - you will only need to grab a cab back to the hotel when you are finished. Be aware that although we were advised we could pay the tour by credit card, this was not the case. In general, have cash for the majority of your trip.

Oh, and I must point out the hotel policy of not allowing children. Sweet!

I would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat if you want a peaceful, immersed retreat!

Room Tip: The junior suites are lower and may share a balcony with one other room. If you seek absolute privac...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Mandeville, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Everything about Costa Rica is breathtaking. This area of the country is perfect! The mountains, rainforests, national parks, beaches are all within driving distance of each other. My husband and I wanted to stay away from any busy, commercial resort and Issimo suites suited our taste perfectly. After our long road trip to the hotel, we were greeted with warm smiles and cold cocktails! The hotel is small and intimate. There are gorgeous views of the ocean and forest cover. It's far enough away from the main roads to be relaxing and quiet, yet close enough to walk or taxi to the local hot spots. It's a wonderfully relaxing place to stay after a day of adventure at Manuel Antonio National Park, white water rafting, etc. All of the staff were very welcoming and friendly. We appreciated how personal the service was. Booking activities and transportation was a breeze! I must say that the food was superb!! Breakfast, lunch and dinner were all surprisingly good. You must try the guacamole!! It was fantastic. We did eat out a few times at local restaurants, but nothing was quite as good as the food we had at the hotel. The cocktails were great too, and the two for one special everyday was a nice plus. Our room, the royal suite, was perfect. I would highly recommend this room. The view from the large balcony was beautiful. We saw some amazing sunsets and wildlife. We enjoyed sunbathing and swimming in private. There’s really no reason to leave the room. The private pool was large enough and deep enough to swim in. The Jacuzzi tub was also nice for relaxing in the afternoons. The bed and sitting areas were very comfortable. The room was always clean and neat. The air conditioning worked very well also. Overall, the suite was amazing and exceeded our expectations. It was definitely worth the extra $$! One thing we loved about staying here was that there were two beaches within walking distance. The smaller beach is very close. It’s a beautiful walk during the day. However, it’s a bit strenuous up and down hill mid-day when it’s hot out. It’s not crowded, and the water and scenery is gorgeous. Everything about the hotel exceeded our expectations. Anyone would fall in love with Issimo Suites. We intend to be back soon!!!!
PURA VIDA!

Room Tip: You must stay in the royal suite!! Private sunbathing and swimming!
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

So glad we got to experience Issimo! My hubby and I were in Manuel Antonio in January for a wedding. We opted to stay at Issimo, and we are so happy we did! Loved the quaint, quiet, laid back atmosphere there, and all of the staff made us feel like their family.

The view is stunning, and the full complimentary breakfast is the perfect accompaniment to the vista that includes both ocean and jungle! 'Gato' pampered us with freshly made drinks and snacks by the pool, always served with a smile! All of the food we ate on site was VERY good and fresh. And of course the daily visits from the monkeys and bird life were a real treat!

I must re-iterate that ALL of the staff we encountered here were top notch and so hospitable. They exercised a fine balance between giving us personal space, yet going out of their way to make our stay even more enjoyable.

When checking in we were first taken to a downstairs room, and requested different accommodations, simply because we wanted a private balcony (some of them are shared). The staff was very nice to offer us a different room, although we did have to pay a little higher rate. Our room was perfectly romantic with the Jacuzzi tub and open shower, and daily pampering of rose petals and toweligami (yes I made that word up).

As far as location, we were a short, inexpensive cab ride from town, excursions and numerous restaurants. There is also a nice little beach area just a walk down from the property. If you’re looking for a quiet, intimate, sumptuous tree house, at a great value - I think you’ve found your spot! The only drawback is we didn't want to leave.

Thank you, Issimo and Staff, for welcoming us into your beautiful ‘home’ for the week!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

What an amazing place to stay. Staff was super attentive and friendly, food was amazing and simply a relaxing place place. Very recommended. Spa was amazing and very reasonable in prices. No kids resort a big huge plus.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IssimoSuites, General Manager at Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Gdiaz1010,
THANK YOU!!!!
We sincerely hope you come visit us again!!!

¡Hasta Pronto, y mucha suerte!
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

I would absolutely recommend Issimo hotel to anyone. That said-- I think it's relevant to understand why that is.

To be very clear, the property itself i would rate as a 4 out of 5. The room my husband and I stayed in was moderately sized, and you should not expect a huge hotel with multiple pools and restaurants and tons of amenities. The linens and towels were definitely clean, however a little worn from use. The pool was beautiful, but not overly large. I'd classify the actual building as a homey feeling boutique hotel (as opposed to a ultra luxurious resort).

That said-- the location, surroundings , views, etc make this gem an exceptional value. You are literally sleeping among monkeys, exotic birds, and other jungle animals... Not to mention within an earshot of the ocean. Words cant properly describe the incredible ambiance. On 2 occasions we saw monkeys right outside our window or just above us while we were dining. The sound of running water from the hotel's fountain does wonders for the soul. The cabana area gets just the right amount of sunlight, with plenty of shady areas.

Beyond that, the staff is exceptionally warm and helpful and the restaurant was actually very good. A special thank you to Dixon who especially accommodating. The free breakfast in the morning was extremely convenient, and included freshly made eggs and omelettes.

During our stay my husband and I did the ziplining tour and the Manuel Antonio tour-- both well priced and booked via the hotel. Another perk-- you can walk to a small private beach which is gorgeous, and a great spot for kayaking. Take your time on the path-- lots of wildlife to see along the way.

Thanks very much, Issimo Hotel! A wonderful place to spend our honeymoon!

• Stayed March 2013
IssimoSuites, General Manager at Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Cmorta,
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Your detailed review says it all!
We hope you had a wonderful time in our area and country!

Waiting for your next visit...

¡¡¡¡Hasta la Próxima y Pura Vida!!!
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is a nice little hotel, quirky, but nice. Monkeys roam the grounds, nice location. Some of the staff was great, some were disinterested. Tip early and often to get good service. Food was average, but solid.

easy to get around town from there if you are driving, but the wait for taxis can be a drag, but that is not the hotels fault.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IssimoSuites, General Manager at Issimo Suites Boutique Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Nickphoenix11,
Thank you for your review.
As stated on a prior response, we are surprised about your opinion on our staff.
Our staff is well and constantly trained, and we usually have great feedback on them. If you think it's the case, you can send us more info about your experience with us here: info@issimosuites.com, so we can give a follow up and see why you were disappointed.
We hope to have you here again, next time you visit our area.

Once again, thank you!